Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 20,878 times

Advertisements

What is the average utility bill for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in Rhode Island? (Electrical, Oil, Gas, Water, Sewer)

I have a friend who's moving from the suburbs of Raleigh, NC to RI this winter. If anyone could tell me what the average cost is for both a rented house and a purchased house, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
That's like asking what is the average temperature of water.

Just a FEW factors:
on what temp will the thermostat be set?
How much insultation?
Age of furnace
Style of house
Type of furnace
kids opening and closing outer doors
people home daytime
running lots of appliances?
lights on all day? night owls
coffee maker with reservoir left on 24/7
location: - set up on a promontory on Block Island or in the middle of Providence

I will tell you that I had oil heat one year with a bill of $200 per month and my neighbors had a similar house with a monthly bill of $800 that same year. Average won't tell you squat.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,739 times
I have heated with oil for the past few years. It costs me about $230/mo for oil. I have programmable thermostats that turn the heat way down at night and during the day when we're at work. This includes the house I own right now (about 1500 sq ft) and the 2 br 2nd floor apartment I lived in prior to this that was on the middle floor (my current house is insulated better than that apartment was). The oil at my current house also does my hot water. I did not buy any oil over the summer.

Electricity depends on usage. Right now it ranges anywhere from $50-70/mo depending on how many loads of laundry we do and how much cooking we do. That being said, I have a computer that is always on when I'm home, sometimes 2. We watch TV every night for a few hours. I have other electronic equipment that uses electricity all the time.

I don't have gas in my house.

Water is about $80 quarterly. Sewer is about $90 quarterly. You won't pay those unless you own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island