Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,390 times

Advertisements

My 'friend' asked me to puppysit for one night(10 hrs to be exact) he said he was going to an interview in N.Y. i felt as though something was up as he was acting weird and explaining things about the dog that i would only need to know had i had her for more than the one night.

he never came back! she's pure bred and he possably has papers for her, its been 30 days! SHE'S ONLY 3 MONTHS SO I BELIEVE HE JUST BOUGHT HER VERY RECENTLY... i googled his name to see if anything came up-obituary or arrest(god forbid) and no results.... im very attatched to the puppy now and have trained her and spent money i didnt have...not to mention the abrupt need for arrangements for care while i work long hrs at night..... he is going to come back and ask for her when whatever his agenda is up-do i have the right to deny him the dog at this point? he obviously isnt acting as a very responsable owner and i dont want her to possibly get neglected or abandoned again! i read somewhere 15 days and she's legally mine called animal control--they have not returned my calls and the police have no idea(SAY TO CALL ANIMAL CONTROL)
-ANY1 KNOW MY RIGHTS IN PROVIDENCE?
-ANY1 KNOW HOW TO FORSEE AGRESSIVENESS AS A PUPPY(SHE'S A PIT)
-ANY1 KNOW THE INS LAWS IN PROVIDENCE ON PITS?
ANY INFO AT ALL WOULD HELP!
THANKS...ANGELINA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
So many apt. rentals and homes one would rent don't want the pit bull breed.......( sorry, to say as we have a dear friend who is in rescue of them in Florida)
Your friend may have found that he couldn't take the dog where he was going for his new job.
Our friend has had wonderful pits who curl up with her and her husband. I was amazed myself at the pictures.
If you feel you can't take care of it, perhaps you could call a Pit rescue in your area.......a no kill shelter.
It will be a big responsibility of yours for maybe the next 10 or 15 years. Be sure your ready for it.
Cost wise, home wise, and in all ways.........
Best of luck, sincerely.......

Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,390 times
I have been contemplating every possibility and concern regarding keeping her... Trying to learn all laws about pitbulls in my city---still very confused but keep her or not does he have the right to take her back at this point/ 30 days now!! ARE HIS OWNERSHIP RIGHTS TAKEN AWAY AFTER ALL THIS TIME?

I OWN MY HOME WE HAVE THE ROOM AND YARD BUT NOT SURE ABOUT HOME OWNERS INS INCREASE

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,436,566 times
Well, possession is 9/10 of the law but I don't know for sure. If you have vet receipts showing how much you spent and receipts on other items, would make darn sure he reimburses you in cash for everything - also that he has a darn good excuse as to why the one nite turned into a month (so far) w/o so much as a phone call or explanation or anything. It might not be a bad idea to get the vet records in your name - and maybe get her microchipped in your name as well. She's too young to be licensed. Sounds like you can definitely provide a better home where she wont be passed around from pillar to post. Actually he may be relieved that you've fallen in love w/ the dog so it takes the burden / commitment off him but sheesh, he s/h known what he was getting into, next time he may not be so lucky. You can read some posts on PB's in the Pet Section in the lower section of CD. Good luck, keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina1000 View Post
My 'friend' asked me to puppysit for one night(10 hrs to be exact) he said he was going to an interview in N.Y. i felt as though something was up as he was acting weird and explaining things about the dog that i would only need to know had i had her for more than the one night.

he never came back! she's pure bred and he possably has papers for her, its been 30 days! SHE'S ONLY 3 MONTHS SO I BELIEVE HE JUST BOUGHT HER VERY RECENTLY... i googled his name to see if anything came up-obituary or arrest(god forbid) and no results.... im very attatched to the puppy now and have trained her and spent money i didnt have...not to mention the abrupt need for arrangements for care while i work long hrs at night..... he is going to come back and ask for her when whatever his agenda is up-do i have the right to deny him the dog at this point? he obviously isnt acting as a very responsable owner and i dont want her to possibly get neglected or abandoned again! i read somewhere 15 days and she's legally mine called animal control--they have not returned my calls and the police have no idea(SAY TO CALL ANIMAL CONTROL)
-ANY1 KNOW MY RIGHTS IN PROVIDENCE?
-ANY1 KNOW HOW TO FORSEE AGRESSIVENESS AS A PUPPY(SHE'S A PIT)
-ANY1 KNOW THE INS LAWS IN PROVIDENCE ON PITS?
ANY INFO AT ALL WOULD HELP!
THANKS...ANGELINA

Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,347 times
Well, the good thing Angelina is that you've bonded with the dog, rather than become completely sick of the dog. So, originally it was suppose to be for 10 hours, and now its been 30 days, and he hasn't made ANY attempt to contact you?? I mean really? How difficult is it to make a phone call? You may not have anything to worry about, it doesn't sound like he's overally concerned about her, and he may be wary of contacting you because he doesn't want the dog and thinks you're going to blast him for not calling you for 30 days.

If worst comes to worst, and he contacts you telling you he wants the dog back, I would explain to him "nicely" (remember, you can always attract more with honey, than with vinegar) that the dog has bonded with you, and perhaps (if you're agreeable) he could come to visit the dog whenever he wants. It would be the best of both worlds--he doesn't have to worry about the responsibility or the expense, and still gets to see her. So many times when people acquire pets they do not realize the responsibility until its too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island