Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,801 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking for several weeks reading all the helpful info as we will be relocating to Richmond area also. Have it narrowed down to western Henrico or Chesterfield as we have two girls and want the best public schools. Here are my answers to the questions:

-Where you are working husband working downtown Richmand
-How much you are willing to spend on housingunder 500k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate30 minutes max
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?small town with surburbia
-Community amenities important to youneighborhood amenities, easy access to shopping, activities for kids close by
-Pie or cake? both!!!

So, I am confused as to which area/neighborhood to zero in on. We are coming to buy a house in the next couple weeks. The traffic that has been disussed in Chesterfield sounds scary. Also, hubby wants newer home, garage, trees and larger yard. Some neighborhoods that I think might work are Twin Hickory, Wyndam, Hampton Park, Charter Colony, The Grove based upon previous postings. Anything else we should consider or not?

Thanks for any help offered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,708 times
I'll try to add more later, but the further west you go, the longer the commute will be. If you choose Chesterfield, the fastest way to get downtown is via the Powhite Pkwy to the Downtown Expressway... both are toll roads. From the far west end, the quickest route seems to be via I-64. You should be able to find plenty of housing in your price range. Several neighborhoods you list offer what you're looking for, though it may be harder to find larger wooded lots in some of them. Your requested neighborhood amenities are easy to come by in the western suburbs.

Best wishes!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,848,326 times
I think your commute is pretty much the same time wise and congestion from the west end and southside, but southside does have the toll roads. However, check the taxes in Henrico and Chesterfield, used to be a little better in chesterfield.. but things change so see if that offsets. When you are southside, besides HP you can look into Foxfire and Foxridge, although they are newer and their amenities may not be completed at this time.

The Grove doesn't have it's own pool, etc, but close by is the YMCA with sprinkler pools and more.. a lot of folks use it as a neighborhood pool.

Good Luck,

Shelly

Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 87,687 times
We are buying in the HIghlands. Not sure about the proximity to the city, but I don't think it's bad. The houses are relatively new and there are about 56 for sale in the 500k and under range. The lots are large, golf community with pool, etc. We really loved it.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:04 PM

102 posts, read 406,373 times
I am in the process of buying a house in Richmond.
I would check out the area just west of Hwy 195. The further west you go the more suburban it is. The school districts in this area are supposed to be quite good. The homes range in the $350-500k range. I've checked this area out with my realtor, and looks like a great family area, and it's still within the city limits of Richmond. Take a drive out on Patterson or Grove Ave.
I'm buying further in-town because I like the 'city' feel, and ammenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond