Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,692 times

Advertisements

I know Miller & Rhodes is gone, but growing up we always went to the Santa there and I wondered if there was a similar Santa in Richmond anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,362 times
You can see "Legendary Santa" at the Children's Museum downtown.

[SIZE=2]This holiday season, come see Legendary Santa at the Children's Museum of Richmond, his permanent new home. Yes, this is the beloved Santa who first appeared at Miller and Rhoads in downtown Richmond in 1936. Families from all over Virginia and even out of state have made Legendary Santa part of their holiday tradition for generations. Legendary Santa makes his grand entrance the day after Thanksgiving and is here until Christmas Eve. The Snow Queen joins him, along with Rudolph, Frosty, Seymour the CMOR dinosaur and other characters. Families will also enjoy Genworth Holiday Village, which features 6 Fan District-style homes decorated for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and other celebrations. No charge to see Legendary Santa and the Holiday Village. Admission required to see the rest of the museum.[/SIZE]

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
"Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!"

I am trying to attach a photo I took when I took my kids in 2005. Still trying to figure it out on this website. Anyway, Santa is at the Children's Museum of Richmond right on Broad Street by the Science Museum. Here is the link...CMoR: Legendary Santa. There is no charge to see Santa, and I take my own camera for pictures instead of purchasing the one they take. This way I can get candid shots of them talking to Santa instead of just looking at the camera.

When we went in 2005 we went on a Saturday - BIG mistake, waited three hours in line. For the past two years I pulled the kids out of school mid-day and went during the day. I know, I'm a horrible mom, but that way we got to enjoy the day and the visit!

If you're going to go, call for his schedule. Sometime you can get there to see him come down the chimney.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Miller & Rhodes Santa?-2005-legendary-santa-001.jpg  

Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Now that Miller and Rhoads is almost finished being turned into a hotel/condos, I'd think it would be neat to bring Santa back to the building where so many people were able to enjoy him. Not sure if there will be any decent sized conference center at the building to support the crowd the "real" Santa attracts though.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,742 times
Default yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
I know Miller & Rhodes is gone, but growing up we always went to the Santa there and I wondered if there was a similar Santa in Richmond anymore?
My grandfather used to play Santa here I believe and maybe at Azalea Mall.

We are trying to find some old pictures of him doing this....

But I too have to recommend Legendary Santa

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,270 times
Legendary Santa article is plain false. This Santa is not the original Legendary Santa who you claim appeared at Miller & Rhodes in 1936. He was killed in an automobile accident in the 1950's. The claim this is the Legendary Santa is a false claim. It is False advertising. If you want to call him Legendary, for what, I can't understand, to make such false claims are is just plain wrong and mislead trusting people who do not know the truth. This is an example of majing claims for the sole purpose of profit. Please, just don't make false statements in an obvious effort to motivate people to believe something that is just not the truth.

YOUR STATEMENT: "YES, THIS IS THE BELOVED SANTA WHO FIRST APPEARED AT MILLER & RHOADES IN DOWNTOWN RICHMOND IN 1936",
This just is not true and certainly is false. Please stop this, as it really is fraudulent. It is insulting to an unsuspecting public and the children who are being so mislead.

Last edited by Darrell Williams; 07-11-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Williams View Post
Legendary Santa article is plain false. This Santa is not the original Legendary Santa who you claim appeared at Miller & Rhodes in 1936. He was killed in an automobile accident in the 1950's. The claim this is the Legendary Santa is a false claim. It is False advertising. If you want to call him Legendary, for what, I can't understand, to make such false claims are is just plain wrong and mislead trusting people who do not know the truth. This is an example of majing claims for the sole purpose of profit. Please, just don't make false statements in an obvious effort to motivate people to believe something that is just not the truth.

YOUR STATEMENT: "YES, THIS IS THE BELOVED SANTA WHO FIRST APPEARED AT MILLER & RHOADES IN DOWNTOWN RICHMOND IN 1936",
This just is not true and certainly is false. Please stop this, as it really is fraudulent. It is insulting to an unsuspecting public and the children who are being so mislead.
OMG... Overreact much?? Noone said that the guy in the santa suit was the same person from 1936. "Legendary Santa" is a character...

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Williams View Post
Please, just don't make false statements in an obvious effort to motivate people to believe something that is just not the truth.
So by Scrooge's I mean your logic, we shouldn't do the whole "Santa is an old guy with a beard in a red suit that lives immortally in the North Pole with elves and brings presents to kids all over the world in a sled flown by reindeer in one night" thing at all I guess...

Bah Humbug!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
I am truly speechless...

Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,582 times
I have not resided in Richmond since 1960 but deep inside me "Santa" is and will always be at Miller and Rhoads. Have a photo to prove it. As I write this, I can feel my nose pressed against the cold glass while watching electric trains in a corner window display.
Give me five minutes of Christmas time at Miller and Rhoads and I could leave this world with a smile. No doubt I am not the only one.
Warren Luck
Brisbane, Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond