Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the Richmond area. We were told that Chesterfield/Midlothian area offers more house for your money. We are looking in to 185,000 - 200,000 price range and have found some luck with the following subdivisions: Woodlake, Brandermill, Walton Park, and Loch Braemar. The most affordable seems to be Loch Braemar...does anyone know more about this subdivision - is it safe, demographics, etc.

Also, does Chesterfield provide universal preschool? Can you tell me about the area schools?

Thank you for your help with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,961 times
Hmmm, unfortunately I do not know much about that subdivision. But I might be able to help you out a bit on the school questions.

Chesterfield offers Head-Start preschool and here is a link to the program from the CCPS website (Head Start (http://chesterfield.k12.va.us/CCPS/instruction/HeadStart.htm - broken link)). That should give you more information on the program. For those who do not use the county program, there are tons of private options, from thoses held in day care centers to those based out of churches. Once you select your home, you should be able to talk to other parents in the area to see what they would recommend.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Thank so much onevthoki!

I will check out the Head Start program. I am originally from Rochester, NY area and some of the suburbs there have universal preschool that is offered free to residents which is great.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
We checked out Midlothian when we decided to move to the Richmond area but we decided to build a home in Henrico County after we did the drive...Just wanted to be closer to hubby's work. I don't have any info on that development but wanted to wish you luck with the move! We lived in Syracuse a few years ago and what a difference in weather, lol! May you never freeze again

Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Hi twinmma,

Yes, What a difference VA weather is from NY - I lived in Rochester for many years and don't miss the long cold months! Do you know anything about the Ashbrook development?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM

418 posts, read 1,049,320 times
Ashbrook is supposed to be a pretty good neighborhood - you will find good schools - the biggest issue will be traffic - Richmond traffic is minimal but getting out of the Woodlake area or into it can be slow at rush hour. You are a little away from the heart of town there but if you want a safe affordable area with good schools that is a good choice.

If you want to be closer to downtown you might want to look at some neighborhoods in Robious corridor - GREAT schools, smaller houses but coser in - Greenfield, Woodmont, Crestwood and Settler's Landing...they will show Richmond as an address but they are Chesterfield County. There are others but you do have to give a little on the house.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info. ellieb128! I will look into the areas mentioned!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Just wait until you see the Virginians on snow/ice show. They try to drive on it as if it we're a sunny afternoon. Prepare for average three day closures. Every year snow cleaning gets a little better, but for some reason they wont scrape all the way down on the first pass. Its sort of funny when you try to drive on a road that has two wide truck tire valleys with a hump on the middle.

As to moving here try to not move to the following areas that are off the these main roads. During rush hour, holidays and weekends they are pure backup: Route 250W from 64 to Pouncy Tract Rd, Route 360 for about two mile East of 288 and for about six miles West of 288.

As to Loch Braemar it sits in the older part of route 360 east off 288. I don't know too much about this area but it is well located within a few miles of 150,76,360,288,60. The quickest way to there from 95 is to take two toll roads 95-195-76-Courthouse Rd-Providence Rd.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 12,475 times
I live in the Bon Air area of Chesterfield and like this area very much. Walton Park area is a very nice, area. Next to Stonehenge and not far from Salisbury subdivisions. Brandermill/ Woodlake areas are the more modern of this part of Chesterfield, VA. Developed around Chesterfield reservoir--fresh water for the county, so only sail boats, canoes and electric motor craft are permitted. Used to be great fishing. If you fly, Chesterfield airport is close by and is a very nice runway with the requisite facilities. Many retail/ shopping stores in area and they are easy to get in and out. Good luck

Old 11-12-2010, 05:52 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are in the process of deciding on buying or renting....are there any rentals that are spectacular in the richmond/midlothian area? We'd prefer a town home versus an apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: