Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 15,637 times

Advertisements

Hello! We will be relocating to the Richmond area soon and I'm in need of some help pertaining to schools and safety. We are currently living in a VERY safe area in rural PA, we have 2 daughters...a 14 year old and a 5 year old so the schools are very important to us. Living in the safe place we are now, I do not want to move anywhere there is a lot of crime and put my family at a higher risk. We have been looking in the Midlothian area so far, and are hearing great things about the Cosby High School. However, I'm a bit worried about leaving our current home on 8 acres and feeling crowded in this area. Also, I don't really know how the crime rate is there? Can anyone tell me of any possible places near Richmond with great schools and maybe a more rural setting? Or are we better off just keeping our search going in Midlothian in the Cosby High district? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Hanover is safe and has good schools. It's a place where you can have more land but be close to town. Similar story in Goochland.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Where will you be working, that can better identify what area to recommend?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM

That's the best (and also hardest) part here, his territory will be built depending on where we reside. We looked at homes today in Woodlake, Hampton Park, and also one in Ashcreek located in Hanover. Difficult to come to a decision when we do not know much about the area. Thank you for replies so far!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM

I just read on here that the school districts may be rezoned and Hampton park community may be changed over to Manchester? Anyone have any info on this? I've been warned to stay away from Manchester, that would make that decision a lot easier.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

418 posts, read 1,049,176 times
Given Cosby's very real problem with overcrowding I would say that is a distinct possibility. Manchester isn't one of the top performing schools but I don't think it is one to be afraid of.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Thank you, ellieb..are you aware of anyone I could call that would be able to give me a true answer! I thought maybe the schools or community association?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,495 times
No one is going to give an answer on that. I can tell you that anytime you have a large school district, rezoning is always a possibility. if you desire a little more space, you might want to look in the Matoaca H.S. zone. Also, do you have high schoolers? Just want to make sure you know about the specialty centers that are offered in Chesterfield County and how that works. For instance, my home is zoned for Thomas Dale, but my child goes to L. C. Bird. Let us know if you have any other questions and we will do what we can to help out!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM

485 posts, read 690,236 times
If your looking larger lots - chesterfield down toward the Highlands has larger lots. On the Midlothian side there are some large lots in the Salisbury subdivision. Salisbury especially has great schools. You could go out toward Powahatan where there are some larger lots. Mechanicsville (Hanover) would be another choice - I can't comment on the schools . . it is more rural though.

The Woodlake / Hampton Park areas you mentioned (Cosby High School). There has been a lot of growth there and Hull Street Road is very congested. If your looking for more open space those are probably not your best choices. They do have good schools there even with a lot of growth and some overcrowding.

I am in the Robious / James River District and schools are excellent, and the location is near perfect . . but lots are just on the slightly above average size in my neighborhood (Tarrington) . . not real large. Salisbury would be the closest by that has large lots short of going out into Powhatan County.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM

Thank you, yes I do have a daughter that will be going into the 9th grade next year. How exactly do the specialty centers work? She is a great student (straight A's) so this maybe something that will benefit her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond