Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

My family - wife, 2 year old, infant and I are moving to the Richmond area in the next year or less. We've taken a few trips to the area, looked at some houses and tried to gather some impressions of the area. Our favorite homes were in the Fox Creek community - the Toll Brothers homes. And although we didnt like the homes quite as much as Fox Creek, we did like some homes in the Tarrington on the James community.

The developments were nice but our plan was to see what the surrounding areas were like once we left the developments. We specifically went to grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants and other stores to see what the people were like. Unfortunately, there was a diverse mix of people we encountered. My preference would be that if I bought home in a community we liked, that when we went to the grocery store or out to eat, we would be surrounded with like minded people. That doesn't seem to be the case. I'm sure this is going to sound haughty but I don't want to spend $600k+ on home and then go to the grocery store and encounter people that I would consider to be unsavory. I know that sounds terrible but I'm tired of dealing with it in my current situation.

Can you give me some areas, zip codes, communities, etc where not only the developments are nice but also the surrounding areas. We're looking for great schools, a great place to raise a family, low crime, new construction homes and prefer as large a lot size as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 PM

689 posts, read 1,617,449 times
You should probably check out the West End. Check out the River Road corridor and the far West End, particularly north of Broad Street, like Wyndham, Twin Hickory, and all the new developments going in around those neighborhoods. The folks I know who live along the Robious Road corridor have never complained of unsavory people and are very happy living here, but if you'll feel uncomfortable, please don't move here. Richmond's MSA has something for everyone, and your post leads me to believe you should investigate the West End. Please keep in mind, though, even the most elite areas are not that far from normal residential areas, so you'll probably encounter a mix of people up there, as well. However, if you stick to places like Whole Foods and Fresh Market, you'll minimize that exposure. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Thanks novanwbie! I know my post sounds terrible. I don't want to buy an island and live the life a hermit. In fact, I'd love to move into a great community with great neighbors where we can all enjoy birthdays, ball games and barbecues. I have heard nothing but good things about Richmond from people we know who have moved here from other locations. I guess I'm a little gun shy and nervous about the move.

This is now the second time someone has mentioned Wyndham. I don't think I've looked there. We did look in Twin Hickory.

Thanks again

Old 07-04-2014, 11:19 AM

73 posts, read 165,400 times
Well said Novanwbie! I agree that your best bet is the far West End. I live in Hillshire on Nuckols and love it here. Whole foods is a 7-8 minute drive, Tom Leonards and Trader's Joe are likewise travel wise. Wegman is coming here soon. Tarrington and Fox Creek are also great but it all depends on your commute, proximity to work/ friends or church when it comes to a decision to buy a house. Grey Oaks will also be a good neighborhood to look into. I 'ld ve recommended Henley but you are then looking into a 7 figure price tag on the house. Welcome to Richmond! It is a fantastic city with all the amenities of a large metropolis without the headaches.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,708 times
What kinds of people do you consider to be unsavory?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,789,238 times
Maybe Richmond isn't the city for you.

You should look elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:10 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,214 times
Sounds terrible indeed

Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
What kinds of people do you consider to be unsavory?
People that don't care how high their grass gets in the summer. People that drive down the road and throw trash out of the window. People with tattoos on their necks and don't have their toddler in a car seat. People that don't have any consideration for their neighbors and/or surrounding community. People that don't take pride in their homes and are comfortable with not even doing some basic cosmetic repairs or updates. That's just a short list off the the top of my head.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedprotoplasm View Post
Well said Novanwbie! I agree that your best bet is the far West End. I live in Hillshire on Nuckols and love it here. Whole foods is a 7-8 minute drive, Tom Leonards and Trader's Joe are likewise travel wise. Wegman is coming here soon. Tarrington and Fox Creek are also great but it all depends on your commute, proximity to work/ friends or church when it comes to a decision to buy a house. Grey Oaks will also be a good neighborhood to look into. I 'ld ve recommended Henley but you are then looking into a 7 figure price tag on the house. Welcome to Richmond! It is a fantastic city with all the amenities of a large metropolis without the headaches.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. It was helpful which I appreciate.

Unfortunately I know I am ruffling some people's feathers with my comments. I just don't know how to sugar coat what it is that I'm looking for. I'm probably more then a little jaded because of past living situations. Furthermore I'm not talking about a decision of where to eat dinner tonight. I'm looking at an area to raise my family and that is too important of a decision to worry about stepping on some toes. I'm aware that my comments are a bit coarse but I'd rather not live next door or around people who take no pride in their homes, have no sense of community, civic duty or perform just some basic improvements to their home.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,789,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze1916 View Post
People that don't care how high their grass gets in the summer. People that drive down the road and throw trash out of the window. People with tattoos on their necks and don't have their toddler in a car seat. People that don't have any consideration for their neighbors and/or surrounding community. People that don't take pride in their homes and are comfortable with not even doing some basic cosmetic repairs or updates. That's just a short list off the the top of my head.
Weird. You can glean all of that information about a person and their lifestyle from encountering them when you go "to the grocery store or out to eat"?

I can understand not wanting to live next to a person that doesn't take care of their property, but if you're so concerned about encountering into "a diverse mix of people" who you consider to be "unsavory" (you know, the unwashed masses) then perhaps the hermit life really is the one for you.

My family has quite a bit of land in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountain if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond