Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 9,196 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a single family house (4 bed, 2.5 to 3.5 bath, 2500+ square foot). I have two kids and would like to buy a house where I can send my kids to good schools (elementary through high). I also like walking and cycling, therefore, I prefer area that has sidewalks. However, my budget is limited to $400 K, can go little high but do not want to go much higher. I am a South Asian and prefer an area with diverse population. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

High Schools I am considering are: Deep Run and Midlothian High

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:02 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south555 View Post
I also like walking and cycling, therefore, I prefer area that has sidewalks. ....
The last time I was in Midlothian, the neighborhoods did not have sidewalks. So, I think the West End is a better option.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,427,506 times
As far as I know, 23059 is the Hanover side of Glen Allen, Pretty sure you'd want 23060 which is the Henrico side. I believe Deep Run is where the far border of Glen Allen and Short Pump go, you'll want to look into zip 23233 for that. Midlothian is Chesterfield so thats a whole different side of town. 400k gets you a very nice house around here. Most of this area has no sidewalks aside from main streets and even then there's not many. The burbs usually isn't into sidewalks, the city is and there goes good schools!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As far as I know, 23059 is the Hanover side of Glen Allen, Pretty sure you'd want 23060 which is the Henrico side. I believe Deep Run is where the far border of Glen Allen and Short Pump go, you'll want to look into zip 23233 for that. Midlothian is Chesterfield so thats a whole different side of town. 400k gets you a very nice house around here. Most of this area has no sidewalks aside from main streets and even then there's not many. The burbs usually isn't into sidewalks, the city is and there goes good schools!
23059 in Henrico includes Twin Hickory, Wyndham, Rivers Edge etc which feed into Deep Run. A lot of 23060 feeds into Glen Allen High. 23059 in Henrico is North of Broad Street (basically behind the mall and West of Innsbrook). Only a sliver of 23233 goes to Deep Run. A lot of it goes to Godwin--another great school.

Demographically you will be more comfortable in 23059. It's extremely diverse. I have a 20 year old house in Wyndham that's in your price range so they can be found but most of the newer houses are larger and more expensive. If you want newer feeding into Deep Run a townhouse would be an option. I would recommend looking in Twin Hickory. It has sidewalks and a neighborhood pool and depending on the location of the house there is an elementary school, a middle school, a high school, a library, a ymca, a food lion and a bunch of restaurants that you can walk to.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Both get very good ratings at Greatschools.org . Deep Run is a 9 of 10, while Midlothian is an 8 of 10.

Do you know how to find the ethnic make-up of the schools? Here is Midlothian's student profile: Midlothian High School - Midlothian, Virginia - VA - School details

Here is the Deep Run student profile:
Deep Run High School - Glen Allen, Virginia - VA - School details

I don't see a lot of difference in diversity. Deep Run is 78% white, 11% Asian and 4% black, while Midlothian is 76% white, 10% black and 8% Asian. However, I would agree that the OP might more comfortable in the Deep Run district of the West End.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Did you know that you can use Redfin.com to search on a school district? Here's an example with Deep Run HS and a max of $475,000:
https://www.redfin.com/school/49487/...arket=richmond

Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 9,196 times
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions! I do not understand why price is so high in west end area, getting close to NOVA.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,356,678 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions! I do not understand why price is so high in west end area, getting close to NOVA.
Safe, good schools, close to jobs. You know, all the reasons you want to move there. Other people like that, too.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,702,646 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand why the premium over Midlothian is as high as it is. That area is safe too and has equally good school. The only edge I give to Short Pump is convenience--all the shopping is in one place and it does have the nicest mall in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: