Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 18,156 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the midwest to Richmond as soon as my house sells - I visited last summer but don't have a good idea of WHERE to live; it makes sense to rent then buy after I figure that out, but how does a person decide where? There are so many places!
I am retired, single female, have two small dogs and need a one level space - ideally a small yard, would like to walk to shops, and above all cherish QUIET and PEACE! and SAFE!
Can I find this in a rental? what areas?
I am coming out to look in mid-april, also I do have a realtor helping me, can anyone advise where to look? where to avoid? the realtor cannot divulge that sort of info, but gosh I could use some free advice!!!
Thanx in advance
I have been reading many of the posts, and they are helpful, but also overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,349 times
Hello,

You can walk to shops in the Carytown and Short Pump area if you live in certain communities, but you may not find the quiet you are looking for there. A small house in Ashland, VA (Hanover County) may fit your needs better. There are some shops at the intersection of Libbie & Grove Ave. It's quieter there than in the other two places I mentioned.

Sincerely,
TAStewart

Old 03-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Thank you, good to know - I will visit Ashland when I come next month

Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,783,566 times
hmm. Usually "walk to shops" and "quiet" are in tension - places with shops tend to be less quiet. Which is more important to you? And what's your budget? You'd probably find something near the intersection of libbie and grove to be perfect, but it will be expensive. Museum District is also quite quiet, and filling up with retirees as a result, but also pricey.

Ashland could work. Its way out of town by my perspective, but if that doesn't matter, it's got boatloads of quiet, and is cheaper.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 71,038 times
I'd echo Ashland for quiet, but it's not in Richmond. It's a whistle stop north of the city that has a good bit of charm. There's an annual Strawberry Fair and Ashland Coffee and Tea is surprisingly active on the folk music scene.

There's also Lakeside, which has the botanical gardens, Bryan Park, farmer's market, and a nice little main street. Also not in Richmond proper, but is on the edge with a RVA mailing address.

Carytown is in the city and is great for eclectic shops, but you would want to check out any potential house on a Friday night to gauge how quiet it is. I can't promise that you won't hear the occasional car alarm or drunken barrage, but it's quiet by city standards as long as you're not on or near Cary Street. And actually, any area going west of Carytown or the adjoining Museum District will only get more quiet (as long as they're not on a main through street), more suburban, less walkable, but will be generally safe (areas around Westhampton, U of R, Willow Lawn-- Anything past this and you're no longer on the city).

What do you like to do besides keeping a small yard and dogs with shops nearby? You could look for places out in the county; plenty of quiet in Hanover/Henrico/Goochland.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM

ALL good info - I kind of want to be close enuf to city to play, eat and shop, but far enuf away for peace and safety concerns. Budget ~150-200K, single family home, not toooo big, yard for dogs, would consider condo or townhouse IF was SINGLE FLOOR, ground level - too old to trek up and down stairs. A garage would be GREAT, for storage and/or car....I have been looking at property on-line for so long now I am cross-eyed....hope it gets easier once I come visit to find an area to concentrate on. Worse case, I'll have to rent and look around for a while, then move AGAIN!!!..................shudder................. ..

Old 04-12-2016, 05:15 PM

485 posts, read 691,691 times
At that budget level in city - your going to have to go across the river most likely. Check out Westover Hills area off Forest Hills Avenue. Safe area with good neighborhoods and prices that are much closer to your range. Some restaurants and such but just across bridge from the fan.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM

I kind of like Lakeside, drove thru when I was visiting earlier in the month.....I guess it is best to rent for awhile to find the right place to buy....just so hard to do long distance!
I like to hike, walk around museums, parks, historic places, but I do like a peaceful area to live....will just have to figure it out when I get east!! I have a temp place for 2 mo., driveable distance to Richmond, so that shd help!!

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM

Yes, I think that may be a good area too - my realtor is helping a lot, and come June/July when I get really needful, I will be close enough to drive to Richmond to look.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Rentals can be difficult to locate here. My license is in residential sales so I don't do rentals, however I can always point you to some properties managers here who rent from their own book of business. Message me if you need the names and numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond