Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

I'm simply asking out of curiosity, as I'm planning on possibly moving to Richmond although it'll be a few years from now (either 2019 or possibly 2020 at the latest). Is there a drastic difference between Richmond's suburbs? For example, differences between Midlothian or Chester and Short Pump? Is it more desirable to live north of the James? I'll be moving from the Raleigh/Durham area. For those who are familiar with both areas, are there any Richmond suburbs that are similar to northern Wake Co, NC suburbs (north of 540, Falls Lake). Or is this a case where all the suburbs are practically the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM

485 posts, read 689,514 times
Well depends on what you mean by desirable - they are different areas.

Your running the spectrum traversed by Rt. 288 going from I-64/I-295 at the far North West of Richmond down through Midlothian to chester at the far South / Central side of the city.

Short Pump - North of River far west end I would say. Centered really around the large retail area that is Short Pump on Broad street. Lots of name brand stores and restaurants. Traffic can get a bit congested (not like DC bad but on the bad side for Richmond). If working toward downtown it can back up a bit during the rush hours coming to this part.

Midlothian - a little more suburbia even then Short Pump. Two primary areas - Robious Road/Midlothian Turnpike region anchored by Chesterfield towne center. Hull Street Rd. area (more full blown strip mall suburbia). Hull street also traffic can be on the bad side for Richmond. Toll Roads save you time coming from downtown but can make it fairly quick commuting. Housing prices tend to be a bit cheaper then the Short Pump area in general.

Chester - more rural suburbia / countryside. Chester is a bit small town mixed in. Housing prices tend to be much cheaper then Short Pump or Midlothian. Major corridor to downtown is I-95 vs. toll roads (Midlothian) and I-64 (Short Pump).

If you talk a little more about what your looking for we can help you narrow it down a bit.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
No real difference amongst the inner-ring suburbs. I'd consider Short Pump and Midlothian inner-ring...

Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,297 times
It also depends on if school districts are priority for you. That will help you narrow down which neighborhoods are more attractive to you.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Which suburb is the most liberal? Henrico County in general, I guess?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 PM

I'd like to look into an area that is suburban, but isn't terribly far from downtown and I-95. I always enjoy visiting neighborhoods like the Fan but I don't think I'd want to live in the vicinity of downtown. It would also be nice to have relatively quick access to I-95 in order to reach D.C. (for whatever reason) and to visit family down in the Research Triangle of NC, but this isn't that important. Most importantly, I'd like an area that is liberal and diverse. However, I know this will be more difficult to come across in suburbia.

Again, I don't think I will move to Virginia until 2019 or so. Perhaps 2022 at the latest, to be completely honest. I won't rule out looking into NOVA, maybe areas further out like Sterling. At the same time, I'm just curious and want to gain some info sooner than later.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

485 posts, read 689,514 times
I'm not sure what you are looking for in the liberal context.

Richmonds suburbs can be very diverse.

Your probably wanting more close west end (think River Road type city area). I'd look around the area of University of Richmond heading from there up toward Libbie / Patterson Rd. area.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Which suburb is the most liberal? Henrico County in general, I guess?
Henrico has everybody

Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Are some suburbs more progressive than others? I noticed Chesterfield Co went for Trump although it was close.

I think western Henrico might be worth looking into.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 PM

170 posts, read 345,786 times
Hey, we are relocating from the triangle nc (political refugees?) to Stratford Hills area in Richmond. Very near Pony Pasture (James River) yet we walk to some great eating venues etc. More like Manhattan than the Triangle. South of the James. Short drive to VA Museum and downtown without the congestion. Our realtor found us a progressive enclave. Depends on what you are looking for. PM me if you'd like more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: