Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM

25 posts, read 24,335 times

Advertisements

As someone who's lived in both areas, I can safely say that they are 2 completely different worlds. NOVA is MUCH busier & populous than RVA, not to mention pricier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 PM

20 posts, read 23,363 times
Only part of the Richmond area that is comparable to Northern Virginia is Western Henrico County and maybe the Midlothian (Swift Creek/Moselely) area. Other Richmond suburbs, such as Mechanicsville or Eastern Henrico, do give off a more rural and unsophisticated feel.

The City of Richmond has some areas that look like D.C. and its emphasis on Government plus Finance gives it a similar economic base. However, everything in Richmond is on a MUCH smaller scale. Another thing about Richmond is the city has a long way to go and can easily come off as dilapidated; additionally, the Downtown core is pretty quiet and the hip concept of "living in the city" is not as big among young professionals as it is in D.C.

Politically, the 2 MSA's are similar in the fact that the core city is very liberal, and the major counties are becoming more Democratic over the years. Diversity in Richmond isn't anywhere close to the DMV, but the immigrant population is starting to grow.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
I grew up in DC and attended college there. I also lived in Los Angeles for over 20 years. I have now lived in Richmond for 15 years (can't believe it) and am still trying to find the love. After living in very diverse cities, I still find Richmond very self-segregating. I love doing a lot of different things, but often find I am the only POC in the room. It so sad.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:52 AM

1,023 posts, read 913,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfiguringitout View Post
I grew up in DC and attended college there. I also lived in Los Angeles for over 20 years. I have now lived in Richmond for 15 years (can't believe it) and am still trying to find the love. After living in very diverse cities, I still find Richmond very self-segregating. I love doing a lot of different things, but often find I am the only POC in the room. It so sad.
People self-segregate all over the world and especially in LA. I also find it hard to believe that you are the only POC in most places in and around Richmond because the city is still majority POC. Richmond also has a pretty substantial blerd(black nerd) scene thanks to the colleges so most things off the beaten path would still have plenty of POC in attendance. I can't say that I have ever been ANYWHERE in Richmond where I was the only person of color present. I also grew up in DC, the city wasn't exactly a bastion of diversity and integration back then lol.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 AM

5,828 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avakid View Post
Another thing about Richmond is the city has a long way to go and can easily come off as dilapidated; additionally, the Downtown core is pretty quiet and the hip concept of "living in the city" is not as big among young professionals as it is in D.C.
Lol this is bull****...

First of all nobody is going to expect Richmond to match the energy level that DC provides, so when people are in Richmond they aren't looking for an equal experience. Your paragraph above is highly questionable; are you insinuating DC doesn't have dilapidated areas? And at any rate I think that's the wrong descriptive here, because unless you restricted yourself specifically to the more run down areas, how could Richmond come off as dilapidated?

Downtown Richmond is so not quiet compared to any city of similar size; again, who is expecting it to be equivalent to Downtown DC? And you would be horribly wrong in your belief that Richmond doesn't have a sector of young professionals who enjoy city living. Horribly wrong...

Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 PM

20 posts, read 23,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol this is bull****...

First of all nobody is going to expect Richmond to match the energy level that DC provides, so when people are in Richmond they aren't looking for an equal experience. Your paragraph above is highly questionable; are you insinuating DC doesn't have dilapidated areas? And at any rate I think that's the wrong descriptive here, because unless you restricted yourself specifically to the more run down areas, how could Richmond come off as dilapidated?

Downtown Richmond is so not quiet compared to any city of similar size; again, who is expecting it to be equivalent to Downtown DC? And you would be horribly wrong in your belief that Richmond doesn't have a sector of young professionals who enjoy city living. Horribly wrong...
Downtown Richmond is a dead. I mean for pete's sake, Charlottesville has a much more lively and interesting downtown. Richmond may have the look of a downtown, but the place is just boring. E. Broad St is ugly minus the VCU Health area, and the whole area just doesn't have the vibe that great city cores have.

Many central areas of Richmond do indeed look dilapidated, this includes the Carver, Jackson Ward, portions of Downtown, Chamberlyne/Gilpin, and more. The east end is not any better, and the only saving grace of the core of Richmond is VCU. Without, VCU the place would largely still be a dump; you cannot deny that.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:02 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
Quote:
Downtown Richmond is a dead. I mean for pete's sake, Charlottesville has a much more lively and interesting downtown. Richmond may have the look of a downtown, but the place is just boring. E. Broad St is ugly minus the VCU Health area, and the whole area just doesn't have the vibe that great city cores have.

Many central areas of Richmond do indeed look dilapidated, this includes the Carver, Jackson Ward, portions of Downtown, Chamberlyne/Gilpin, and more. The east end is not any better, and the only saving grace of the core of Richmond is VCU. Without, VCU the place would largely still be a dump; you cannot deny that.
two words, stunningly ridiculous......

Old 05-19-2018, 07:22 AM

485 posts, read 690,236 times
Quote:

Would east broad be a dump without VCU? Yea probably - it used to be a dump before VCU started dumping money into it like crazy. As with any city - money being dumped into it will revitalize its core.

Ummm. and VCU did (along with hundreds of others) and Richmond's core is thriving. So I don't understand this post at all. Talk about dumps …. I've been to Charlottesville and you can certainly say outside of UVA spending it gets pretty rough and quick.

But back to Richmond - I mean it is amazing how vibrant it is becoming. Hey take a stroll down this weekend for one of the largest outdoor music and sports events in the country (held directly in the middle of downtown Richmond on the river - RIVERROCK https://www.riverrockrva.com/). I guess you overlook these events that happen regularly downtown.

Specifically singled out in your rather incorrect view on Richmond - East Broad Street. I guess you haven't been out in the area of East Broad and Adams recently (with the beautiful new Maggie Walker Statue park) and the vibrant restaurant scene there (not to mention the new and beautiful Quirk hotel .. which has one of many new rooftop bars downtown). A few short steps from there down to Grace street - where again it has exploded with new restaurants and nightlife...heading all the way down to the Altria Landmark Theater (which has gone through some beautiful exterior and interior renovations in recent years).

Jackson Ward (an area that yes was really bad years ago). Walked through Jackson Ward a few months ago and thought about all the history there and how it has changed in the past decade (where I previously wouldn't be taking this walk at night). And some great places like the Speakeasy Grill, Nettie's, and Rogue Gentlemen just to name a couple - attracting more an more young people into the area.

Yes the rest of East Broad is a little quieter at night. The National Theater which is in that area (close to the new Hilton by the way) and has been getting some great national acts. And yes that area doesn't have the night foot traffic because as we all know the Coliseum is in need of replacement (oh by the way you may have missed the half a billion dollar project involving a new 18,000 seat coliseum, multi-level food and entertainment destination, 400 room hotel project that is in the works there). Oh and the area is the state capital area - which if its so dumpy why do major Hollywood studios continually use if for movie and television (as a stand in particularly for the white house and DC).

Left off the whole Shockoe slip into Shockoe bottom area which is continuing to grow and expand in downtown and has continually been a prime area of nightlife in the city (I would imagine the nightly activity there is well above that of the Charlottesville downtown). And they are in the process of a completely new farmers market area being constructed now.

And I guess you decided to leave off Scotts Addition which is the fastest area growing now (next to the beautiful Science Museum of Virginia and childrens museum of virginia beside it (along with redskins training camp center). Scotts Addition seems to get a renovating or new building every week. And the baseball stadium - which they want to replace and supposedly in the works with VCU on board - but I don't find the current one dumpy (I think the player facilities may be). But say what you may of the baseball stadium - - it has continually the highest or next to highest attendance in all of AA baseball (and beats out the attendance, by significant amount, of the former AAA braves who moved to Georgia in a brand new stadium). So while the stadium may not be the most glamourous - it is lively.

And lets tie all these downtown areas together with a new Rapid Transit system that is opening next month - with stations having been just completed. The growth along that corridor that has already exploded is going to go out the roof.

Sorry for the long post - there was just nothing in that assessment of Richmond that appeared to have any facts whatsoever. It sounded like Richmond of the 1990's (which is long behind us thankfully). To even compare to Charlottesville is pretty laughable. Charlottesville has Richmond on the concerts right now because of the state of the Richmond Coliseum … they get the big ticket concerts over Richmond. But that's going to change soon enough when the new Richmond Coliseum complex gets built … Charlottesville won't be able to compete with the destination setting of Richmond for concerts then (where John Paul Jones Area is very nice - its still just a big parking lot around it … as its a school gym).

Last edited by cbl1; 05-19-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 03:27 PM

5,828 posts, read 5,635,141 times
I saw him call Jackson Ward and dump and that's all I needed to see. Jackson Ward '98? Sure. Jackson Ward '18? Yeah right...obviously somebody speaking out of his ass...

Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
Dilapidated? Stay away from Philadelphia, Baltimore, parts of NYC, Newark, and Bridgeport, CT. Richmond has grit but it isn't Beirut now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond