Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,710,294 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone 😊

Is anyone here originally from Long Island New York & now living in the Richmond area?
If so, how do you like it in the Richmond area? Obviously the costs are lower. I’m curious about safety, which schools are good, traffic, Quality of hospitals & good doctors. Any info really

Thank you

Have a nice day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM

257 posts, read 224,739 times
You will find less LIers here than further down in the Triangle area because Richmond doesn't promote itself quite like the sunbelt cities. That is a good thing imo. I am originally from Suffolk county (but have been fairly nomadic this past decade). Schools are great in the counties, traffic is a moot point coming from NY and there are decent hospitals in the area. Good job economy and access to the outdoors for whitewater boating, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc.

Last edited by adriftinthebay; 07-09-2019 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 06:14 PM

19,345 posts, read 17,231,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi everyone 😊

Is anyone here originally from Long Island New York & now living in the Richmond area?
If so, how do you like it in the Richmond area? Obviously the costs are lower. I’m curious about safety, which schools are good, traffic, Quality of hospitals & good doctors. Any info really

Thank you

Have a nice day
Just think quality of life at half the cost, headaches and traffic. Excellent suburban schools in Henrico and Chesterfield with safety not really a concern in the burbs. Richmond city schools are not well regarded especially at the secondary levels but you should review and judge for yourself.

Multiple hospitals well recognized and every service you would have to kill yourself trying to get into Manhattan to get. You really have the NY blinders on there is life past the 50 mile limit of NYC, believe me....

And the 500k, 60+ year old tri-level with a cesspool you would have on the island translates into a new two story home in an upscale community with sewers, pool, playground, landscaping and a commute that's most like 30 minutes or less.

We even have decent bagels and pizza.....

Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Excellent responses! Thank you ����

The more info the better. Thank you so much

Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,170,618 times
One more here. We’ve been here long enough to see Richmond change and grow. I love Long Island but Richmond has been really good to us.
One of the things I love about Richmond is that you can actually do things around town without spending all day driving from place to place. And if you want some change of scenery the mountains are less than an hour away.

Also the job market is really good, salaries are on par with Long Island, taxes aren’t too bad, there are some really good festivals, the bars and restaurants are fantastic,and the area has businesses who are very involved in the area with support for the arts and investment in the are. The city is also doing its est to preserve as many buildings as possible, including signage, it’s a cool mix of new and traditional often in the same place.

Hospitals are excellent, schools vary from area to area, but plenty of excellent ones. Richmond used to be rough but these days most places are rowing and vibrant. Places like Oregon Hill, Church Hill and Scott’s Addition which were bad are thriving and where you can find the 20 and 30 something’s living.

And we have theaters. The Altria gets the Broadway road shows along with bigger bands and comedians, while the Carpenter Center gets the slightly smaller draw national acts. And that’s not counting the music venues.

Just a lot going on here and I highly recommend a trip of at least 4 days in and around town to get a feel for the place.

About the only downside is I rarely meet actual Richmond natives.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 07-12-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Thank you very much. Much respect. Have a great weekend

QUOTE=ClarkStreetKid;55655617]One more here. We’ve been here long enough to see Richmond change and grow. I love Long Island but Richmond has been really good to us.
One of the things I love about Richmond is that you can actually do things around town without spending all day driving from place to place. And if you want some change of scenery the mountains are less than an hour away.

Also the job market is really good, salaries are on par with Long Island, taxes aren’t too bad, there are some really good festivals, the bars and restaurants are fantastic,and the area has businesses who are very involved in the area with support for the arts and investment in the are. The city is also doing its est to preserve as many buildings as possible, including signage, it’s a cool mix of new and traditional often in the same place.

Hospitals are excellent, schools vary from area to area, but plenty of excellent ones. Richmond used to be rough but these days most places are rowing and vibrant. Places like Oregon Hill, Church Hill and Scott’s Addition which were bad are thriving and where you can find the 20 and 30 something’s living.

And we have theaters. The Altria gets the Broadway road shows along with bigger bands and comedians, while the Carpenter Center gets the slightly smaller draw national acts. And that’s not counting the music venues.

Just a lot going on here and I highly recommend a trip of at least 4 days in and around town to get a feel for the place.

About the only downside is I rarely meet actual Richmond natives.[/quote]

Old 08-04-2019, 03:20 PM

457 posts, read 695,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
You will find less LIers here than further down in the Triangle area because Richmond doesn't promote itself quite like the sunbelt cities. That is a good thing imo. I am originally from Suffolk county (but have been fairly nomadic this past decade). Schools are great in the counties, traffic is a moot point coming from NY and there are decent hospitals in the area. Good job economy and access to the outdoors for whitewater boating, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc.
I'd look into the Triangle Area OP as recommended above.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I'd look into the Triangle Area OP as recommended above.
So far from my research & all the responses I feel Richmond would be fine. I also may have a job lead in Glen Allen.

Which zip codes are considered nice, low crime areas, good high schools within 10-20 mins of Glen Allen? Our price range for a home is up to 315,000 max.

Thank you very much
😊

Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 PM

1,029 posts, read 927,226 times
Quote:
So far from my research & all the responses I feel Richmond would be fine. I also may have a job lead in Glen Allen.

Which zip codes are considered nice, low crime areas, good high schools within 10-20 mins of Glen Allen? Our price range for a home is up to 315,000 max.

Thank you very much
��
23060, 23229, 23059, 23233, 23294 and the part of 23228 closest to Glen Allen

Henrico County zipcode map:
https://www.zipmap.net/Virginia/Henrico_County.htm

Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,789,150 times
Quote:

Thank you very much
😊
Pretty much everything 10-20 minutes from Glenn Allen will work for you except the neighborhoods that are too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond