Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM

42 posts, read 99,307 times

Advertisements

I wrote another post on here about moving to Petersburg. My husband may be getting a job in Petersburg and the houses are cheaper, but I want to get some info on Richmond. I was born and raised in Baltimore. I grew up in relatively safe neighborhoods until I became an adult. Then, I had a drug dealer selling drugs on my steps and after I moved from that neighborhood she was wanted for murder. So, I am familiar with crime and feeling unsafe, but I also realize that when you live near a big city, crime is part of the whole package.
My questions is what are the good neighborhoods in Richmond. My husband and I don't like the suburbs and don't want to live in fabricated communities. We enjoy "city life"...living near stuff to do (restaurants, bars, movies, etc). We also value character and charm in a home. So, if anyone can recommend a reasonably safe "fun" neighborhood in the Richmond area that would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
As usual, your options are Carrytown and Shockoe Bottom. Living there (in the City of Richmond) is expensive though.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
I'd highly recommend a visit.

Church Hill, The Fan District, and the Museum District / Carytown sound like pretty decent options for you. Depending on price and other factors others could include the area near Libbie and Grove (and Patterson), Westover Hills, Woodland Heights could work as well.

Richmond is blessed with many historic neighborhoods full of character. It's second only to St. Louis for use of historic tax credits for adaptive re-use and historic rehab projects.

Here's a link to details on some of the historic districts in Richmond, including some mentioned above and more.
http://www.historicrichmond.com/historicareas.html (broken link)

There are some neat parts of Petersburg, but it's a very small place.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 AM

42 posts, read 99,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I'd highly recommend a visit.

Church Hill, The Fan District, and the Museum District / Carytown sound like pretty decent options for you. Depending on price and other factors others could include the area near Libbie and Grove (and Patterson), Westover Hills, Woodland Heights could work as well.

Richmond is blessed with many historic neighborhoods full of character. It's second only to St. Louis for use of historic tax credits for adaptive re-use and historic rehab projects.

Here's a link to details on some of the historic districts in Richmond, including some mentioned above and more.
Historic Richmond Foundation | Historic Areas (http://www.historicrichmond.com/historicareas.html - broken link)

There are some neat parts of Petersburg, but it's a very small place.
What parts of Petersburg are you referring to? I, personally, don't care too much where we live as long as it's fairly safe, but my husband has his mind set on Petersburg. So, that is our first choice. If I get enough negative info about Petersburg, then I am definitely going to refuse to live there.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
I think Olde Towne is neat. I haven't really ventured around Petersburg too much other than that.

This could be a good resource
Petersburg People’s News - Petersburg, Virginia (http://pburgpn.net/news/ - broken link)

Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 44,398 times
Carytown would be a good option. If you are looking for a 2BR apartment, you can find a decently nice one for about 1100 a month, don't expect good off-street parking in carytown though, do expect a beautiful area thats well worth the few inconviences of living there...

Check craigslist.com goto richmond and check rentals, it will give you a good idea.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,036 times
Does anyone know anything about Hildreth ST, near Fairfield ave. I am looking to buy a house in the area. Thank you.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM

218 posts, read 840,070 times
Where are you coming from, and do you need section 8 housing? Have you visited Richmond yet at all?

Fairfield Avenue is a VERY rough area of Richmond; I wouldn't consider it unless you're used to high crime areas or unless you need section 8 housing. Even then, you can probably find safer section 8.

I'm not saying you'll get shot and killed just sitting in your house or going out to your car, but there will definitely be some shady people around.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
NO. DO NOT LIVE ANY WHERE NEAR FAIRFIELD AVE. I was renting there for about 3-4 years ONLY because I was stuck in a rut. You WILL be killed there and I'm not joking or anything. I was renting in the apartments there about two years ago I think it's called Andover's Place now. That is a HORRIBLE location I do not see why that area is not closed down, condemned and then burned. Everything from cockroaches to police sirens and gunshots. I can't tell you how many times I could not even get into the complex because it was police taped off. Then you get farther down the street and oh my god.. you would be safer buck naked in new york.

In Richmond you get what you pay for. There are exceptions but usually if you see a entire community of cheap housing there is something wrong. Also living in the city is higher than the counties. Please look some where else if you can, there are plenty of cheap but still safer houses in Chesterfield and Midlothian.. or even Henrico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: