Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:06 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,323 times

Advertisements

Who watches local news anymore anyways? You can check the weather online, most of the news stories are just sensationalized crap, and the sportscasters just read off the scores, which I can do just fine on ESPN.com

I've seen local news in other cities - I think it's atrocious everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
They tell the news almost as well as the Richmond Times Dispatch.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Who watches local news anymore anyways? You can check the weather online, most of the news stories are just sensationalized crap, and the sportscasters just read off the scores, which I can do just fine on ESPN.com

I've seen local news in other cities - I think it's atrocious everywhere.
I've lived in the suburbs of NYC and DC, in Chicago, Tampa and Raleigh. Trust me, Richmond's local news is really bad. But, I agree with you. I don't watch often and rarely on purpose!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWLiving View Post
I don't understand how a metro area of this size, with the potential talent of new grads from so many schools in the vicinity, could produce such inferior broadcasts. I am with your friends on the 2 out of 10 rating. Sad, but true.
My guess is that for the most part many of those on TV in Richmond just don't care because Richmond is in the shadow of Washington and Baltimore so as a result the odds aren't very good for one to get off first base. In other words if something major happens in Richmond that gets the attention of the national news networks like CNN, the feed will come from "local Washington TV" or "Local Baltimore TV". Like the time I saw on MSNBC some news story that was all about Richmond so where did you think the video came from that had aired on MSNBC? WBAL-TV 11 BALTIMORE !!

Very similar to Colorado Springs. Big story hits that area, well expect the big shots out of Denver to cover it while the local Colorado Springs TV people, well for them its time to take the day off.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,708,035 times
A police officer shot a pit bull Monday afternoon in Henrico's east end.

Basically you get garbage like that.

I don't understand the point in having the news air at 6am, 12pm, 4-4:30pm, 5-6:30pm, 10pm, and 11pm. It's just the same "news" I mean if this was Orlando or a busy city like that I could understand.

Also all three channels seem to follow the same patterns. All three stations will show the weather around 6:15 or 11:15p, all three stations are usually parked right behind each other whenever there is an incident. IMO hardly any variety. NBC does Restaurant Report, which is decent at times although I hardly visit those locations anyway for that very reason.

It's hard to say as a local if it is good or bad but I often see the same thing on the news. Like said above I'm sure it is because we're sucked dry by VA Beach, Baltimore and D.C. at least Richmond does not seem to have drug issues as those cities do.

Last edited by Anders15; 02-02-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,927,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
...we returned to Virginia in 2003, more specifically Spotsylvania County. There Comcast offers you both DC and Richmond channels. By choice, I chose to watch Richmond news. I think it just depends what you are used to.
We were in the same situation, living in Spotsy with both DC and RIC networks. We watched the DC news more often than not since it was much more of a professional operation. They'd focus on local and national news and sports, whereas RIC stations dwelled on local fluff (garden club news) and local sports (R-Braves, UR Spiders, etc at the time... UGH!).

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,323 times
Shouldn't local news dwell on local news and local sports? CNN, ESPN, and the internet have the whole national thing covered pretty well.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM

283 posts, read 653,506 times
There really isn't enough happening in the Richmond area to have a 30 minute program every day. I think this is one of the reasons that I like living here. As to their professionalism, you get what you pay for. If they were that good they would be in a major market. I have been in similarly sized cities, and have seen worse.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
With the weather sitting on top of us this morning and they all still got it wrong. Great forecast after the storm had hit.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
As to their professionalism, you get what you pay for. If they were that good they would be in a major market. I have been in similarly sized cities, and have seen worse.
Either that or one gets a network's "scraps". Classic example of that was CNN's Lynn Vaughn. For years she was an anchor for then CNN Headline News. However one day for some reason she ended up in Hampton Roads on their channel 3 WTKR. Now as to why she ended up there, my guess is that at the time ( early 90's ) the hiring of Vaughn was an effort by the Hampton Roads channels to beef up their product and to put them at least on the same par as other similar sized markets as HR such as Buffalo, Jacksonville, Memphis and New Orleans as this was around the same time as WAVY and WVEC started to use choppers, expanded their news operations, CBS-TV buying local channel 27 WGNT and long time HR anchors such as Ed Hughes & Terry Zahn joined the ranks among the eliete such as Baltimore's Jerry Turner, Detroit's Bill Bonds, Buffalo's Irv Weinstein or even West Virginia's Tom McGee as local anchors who were known by many from outside their home markets. Now as for Lynn Vaughn, she didn't stay for very long in Norfolk but the hiring of her by WTKR did directly/indirectly ( debateable )did turn around that market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond