Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times

Advertisements

So we finally made the decision to make Roanoke our home ... and we finally made the decision about city vs county, private vs public, urban vs suburban ... and barring unforeseen circumstances we'll be there July 1.

In the end we opted for the city over the county, and we'll stay in the public schools. A really good quality of life, for us, means more time walking and less time driving, so we'll be within walking distance of the middle & high schools, tennis courts (a biggie for my 12-year-old), grocery store & other shops (I'll be the one tugging my groceries in a granny cart), the busline, & downtown (ok so that's a long walk, but nice on a saturday morning).

We were down there Memorial Day and had a lovely time and we're really looking forward to UNpacking all the junk we're packing now =)

Now I'm starting to focus on details ... we haven't sold our house up here yet so I'm going to have to buy some duplicate things for temporary use ... an old lawnmower for example. I'm on the phone with schools scheduling summer testing and trying to find my son some track&field peers for summer training. Things that are a big fat hassle long-distance will be a piece of cake when we get there, but it's a really fun hassle anyway.

See you soon =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
cool. welcome to roanoke! I think you'll be happy that you made the choice to be more centrally located within the city. Just be smart about where you choose. Oh, and you should have no problem picking up a used lawnmower at one of the zillion garage and yard sales going on!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Default Visions of the Future?

I think you have made a smart decision to locate in the City. By the way the folks who live in the County and points beyond come into the City just to use the parks, public spaces and even walk on a real sidewalk! I'm glad you did mention there is such a thing as a public bus system. I used it the other day to see how I can do without my car and it was o.k.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,741 times
I will also be arriving July 1st, will be living in the city and teaching at a nearby (4min commute time as compared to my 40min commute time from Greensboro) city middle school.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher1812 View Post
I will also be arriving July 1st, will be living in the city and teaching at a nearby (4min commute time as compared to my 40min commute time from Greensboro) city middle school.
welcome! what middle school will you be teaching at?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM

15 posts, read 58,753 times
headnsouth,

I know it wasn't easy making the decision about where to live, but I'm thrilled to hear you've chosen to move to the city. It's a great place to live. Welcome and best of luck with the move

coolasamoose

Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 20,741 times
I'd rather not say the middle school.
I do have a question regarding Roanoke. May someone suggest organizations to join/attend/groups to belong to that are reflective of a twenty-somethings interests? I'd be interested in meeting new people.
Also, are the residential areas around the immediate vicinity of Mill Mountain considered the city or the country?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher1812 View Post
I'd rather not say the middle school.
Well if it's Woodrow Wilson then you better be good!

Heheh just kidding, my 12-year-old will be a "new kid" there next year. I wonder how long it will take him to stop saying everything is wicked-this and wicked-that and replace it with the local slang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I think you have made a smart decision to locate in the City. By the way the folks who live in the County and points beyond come into the City just to use the parks, public spaces and even walk on a real sidewalk!
Well if Roanoke is anything like other metro areas then the city needs the county just as much as the county needs the city. I'm moving from a place that is absolutely stuck in the past in so many ways and part of the reason it's a dead/dying region is that the people here stubbornly refuse to recognize that the health & prosperity of their neighborhood/village is completely dependent on the health & prosperity of surrounding towns, the metro area, and the whole region. So even though I probably won't be taking too many regular trips to the suburban county, I'm happy that lots of people do choose to live there for the benefits the suburbs offer them (plus when suburbanites visit the city for work or play, they can become clients of mine!) =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area