Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 AM

53 posts, read 250,266 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in learning more about this club, and any others you would recommend. We're moving in the summer and will settle in Brighton, Pittsford, Penfield, or Fairport.

If you belong to Midtown, are there standard rates/membership fees? What makes it worth the money to you? What about their childcare? Good experiences there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Another club you might want to check out is the Rochester Athletic Club. I belong and like that there are so many locations throughout Rochester and that I can get to a lot of Women's clubs. There are a couple the guys can get to as well. Midtown is just a tad far out if you live in Fpt or Penfield...even Pittsford depending on where in Pittsford.... great if you are in Brighton. I like the variety of locationsof the RAC.... you can go to any no matter where you are. Another one.... The YMCA in Penfield is AMAZING.... just so you know. It isn't your un of the mill Y....you might want to check it out when you get here. A lot of the people will ditch their memberships at other gyms just to go there and they have a fabulous preK program if you are interested in that. I would suggest checking it out if you are really interested in settling in Pittsford/Fpt/Penfield.... The Y is really nice and when my membership runs out I am really thinking about joining...... everyone raves about it. here is a link....

YMCA of Greater Rochester, New York (http://www.ymcaeastside.org/ - broken link)

Last edited by skbs; 02-08-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
I used to go to the World Gym on East ave. Its a good size with various classes. Plenty of weight and aerobics. They have the health food and drinks if your into that. Its on the side of the city you are looking to move to also.

Best bet is to just drive around to a few and see which ones you like. Most of them have salespeople and can show you what they have to offer. See if you can haggle or get some kind of sales price too.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Cool - thanks guys!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM

37 posts, read 129,578 times
You might want to check out Penfield Racquetball and Fitness club too. I've been there for 10 years. Midtown is very nice though, the outside pool being construced will be amazing. And of course, the Eastside YMCA that was mentioned.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM

117 posts, read 434,750 times
I am interested in exploring this club as well...does anyone have any ballpark figures for membership for a family?

thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Hi terryellen, I heard this from smeone who is a member at Midtown: $110 monthly for single and approximately $200 for a family membership.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 AM

117 posts, read 434,750 times
thanks!! I knew it was expensive...with the new outdoor pools it may be worth considering...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
I haven't been a member of Midtown for several years, but it is very expensive ($200/month as mentioned for family) plus I believe they are either now, or shortly, will require an initiation fee of $3,000 (vs. $300) after the pools are built -- at least that is what I told when they were trying to keep me from leaving. They have a lot of nice adult activities in the evening, but generally are a bit expensive.

I would recommend the Y for families, but after Midtown completes their "country club" transformation it probably will be a little more family friendly vs. wealthy/people who can write it off for their business/tennis nuts. I left Midtown for Rochester Athletic Club in Greece for the cheaper rates knowing that I wouldn't use a lot of the extras after having kids, and we will be going from RAC to Y soon now that the kids are getting older. BTW -- Midtown does have an extra charge for childcare, as does RAC. I believe the Y is included. Neither Midtown nor RAC's childcare compares to YMCA, as you might expect.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Very interesting. $3,000 initiation at a health club is crazy. That club better be awesome and include lots of extras. What are the differences between the MAC/RAC/YMCA childcare? I actually have never been to a YMCA. I don't belong to a health club now, but I did in my early 20s when I was single and childless... now I have kids and feel like it might be smart to belong to a club where the kids can play while I try and focus on some exercise. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area