Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 18,718 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Rochester, new here and no friends etc. I tried meeting people on Meetup groups which I have had a lot of success with in the past, and made some good friends on those groups. I was looking to make friends in my age range (25-35), I am 28 myself. Most of the meetup groups I found in Rochester were mostly for older folks, (40-50+) so I wasn't too keen on joining those.

I found this group called "Rochester Young Professionals" and went out one of their social events yesterday. While most of the people there were between 25-35, I had the impression that a lot of them were super stuck up and rude in a not so covert way. I guess if you are a native to Rochester, you perhaps have this attitude for no reason. I mean Rochester doesn't have any good sports teams, has ****ty weather, bad roads, no jobs for the most part etc. So I fail to understand what's the reason behind the condescending mentality that people have here.

Now I would have to inform you that I am an Indian male, so I am sure it's primarily because they didn't want to associate or talk to anyone with my skin color or race. I am a professional that works in one of the largest organizations in town, and have a Master's from one of the top universities in USA. Every smile I gave was greeted with a cold distant gesture, I have never seen such stuck up women and men anywhere in the USA. I grew up here since I was 12 so it's not like I am a freshie off the boat that just landed here.

I swear this city is full of idiots that perhaps look at me and assume just because of my race that I am a cab driver or a 7/11 gas station attendant, explains that supercilious behavior I encountered. It's funny that in a day and age where you claim that USA is all about merit and treating immigrants based on their merit you are so hung up on someone's race here in Rochester. It's perhaps the reason why this city is going down so fast, no one I know would even consider visiting here leave alone relocating here for the above mentioned reasons. If you wake up and smell coffee you would know that not every Indian person you see is working at 7/11 or driving a taxi.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 AM

384 posts, read 355,827 times
1) Plenty of us Rochester natives don't even really like the RFP group, I would agree that it always sounded like a pretty stuck up group to me, though I will admit I never attended any of their gatherings or anything. Just gave off that vibe. I also wouldn't judge an entire city based on how ONE very specific group of people treated you.

2) Constantly slamming Rochester in your post doesn't give me a very favorable impression of you either. And you think saying things like "have a Master's from one of the top universities in USA" doesn't make you sound a little stuck up as well? I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't fit in better.

Last edited by UncleBenny; 05-27-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

466 posts, read 982,248 times
This site is a magnet for people who have nothing better to do than going on a message board and write up an essay length post complaining about how he didn't like .0001% of the people he met in this town. It's incredible. Almost up there with the person who didn't come back to Rochester because they received a parking ticket that was their own fault.

People on Rochester are friendly. They're pretty much like people anywhere else. There's nothing in the water here.

You're seem like a wonderful person, though. Let's complain about how people were a little mean to me and then immediately slam everything about a city. Yeah you're a real reasonable person and we should definitely take you seriously. This is a troll post and it should just be locked up now. Completely hypocritical and completely ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,525 times
I am not familiar with the RYP group, however from just the name alone I am assuming it is mostly made up of entitled rich-through-parents white kids with little regard for most of society, let alone a minority. So I can't say I'm necessarily surprised by your experience with them.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
This site is a magnet for people who have nothing better to do than going on a message board and write up an essay length post complaining about how he didn't like .0001% of the people he met in this town. It's incredible. Almost up there with the person who didn't come back to Rochester because they received a parking ticket that was their own fault.

People on Rochester are friendly. They're pretty much like people anywhere else. There's nothing in the water here.

You're seem like a wonderful person, though. Let's complain about how people were a little mean to me and then immediately slam everything about a city. Yeah you're a real reasonable person and we should definitely take you seriously. This is a troll post and it should just be locked up now. Completely hypocritical and completely ridiculous.
No I am not trolling whatsoever. I just posted this based on my observation. Also you don't have to analyze each and every person of a city to know how a particular place is. The group is titled "Rochester Young Professionals" so I'm sure it's generally representative of how the younger people here are. You seem to have some kind of an agenda by shooting my message down and asking for me to be banned. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only a messenger here.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I am not familiar with the RYP group, however from just the name alone I am assuming it is mostly made up of entitled rich-through-parents white kids with little regard for most of society, let alone a minority. So I can't say I'm necessarily surprised by your experience with them.
Okay thanks. I am sorry for being judgmental about the whole city, but I don't know any other place where I can meet young professionals. They seem to be representative of how the people in the city are though.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
1) Plenty of us Rochester natives don't even really like the RFP group, I would agree that it always sounded like a pretty stuck up group to me, though I will admit I never attended any of their gatherings or anything. Just gave off that vibe. I also wouldn't judge an entire city based on how ONE very specific group of people treated you.

2) Constantly slamming Rochester in your post doesn't give me a very favorable impression of you either. And you think saying things like "have a Master's from one of the top universities in USA" doesn't make you sound a little stuck up as well? I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't fit in better.
I can understand you being hostile towards me based on my observations about Rochester and I don't blame you for that at all. I am not someone that goes around bragging about what university I graduated from or the degree I have attained, I am quite the opposite.

The reason I made that point was to drive home the point that I am not a mere stereotype that people have in the head, about me being some curry scented cab driver or a Apuesque 7/11 "thank you come again" slurpee seller. I am as professional as any of the people that turned up there if not more. However, I guess the unpopular stereotypes that are attributed by ignorant Americans override any other person traits I possess, and that was amply illustrated by the behavior of your denizens yesterday.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Thank you. I would advise any minority person who's got a modicum of professional courtesy or self respect to not join that group at all.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM

384 posts, read 355,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjokerochacha View Post
I am as professional as any of the people that turned up there if not more.
I looked this up for you:

stuck-up
adjectiveinformal

adjective: stuck-up
  1. staying aloof from others because one thinks one is superior.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+up+definition

Old 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I looked this up for you:

stuck-up
adjectiveinformal

adjective: stuck-up
  1. staying aloof from others because one thinks one is superior.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+up+definition
I was merely stating the fact. That word you looked up would aptly apply to your denizens who think they possess some miraculous super powers just by the virtue of their race.

Seems like people in Rochester just judge people by their superficial attributes. Figures why this city went down from being a promising city to a has been that no one wants to move to now. Keep up the good work!!! Thanks for proving it by cherry picking specific lines from my posts and proving that you don't have the ability to read and interpret the whole post in the relevant context. You must join that group, I'm sure you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: