Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 08:54 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,836,801 times

Advertisements

A few co-workers and I were discussing this and couldn't come up with a definitive answer.

Where does Western NY end and the next region (Finger Lakes region or Central NY?) begin?

I consider everything west of the city of Rochester WNY, to include western Monroe county. Some people say WNY is everything west of Monroe county, but that would make Greece, Spencerport, Brockport, etc. part of the Finger Lakes region. Then what about the city of Rochester? What region would the city fall in? Or do you consider the Finger Lakes region a sub region of WNY? So then it would just go from WNY to CNY. Then were would the WNY/CNY line be? East of Rochester? Its easy for Buffalo (WNY) and Syracuse (CNY) but it seems like everything in-between is up for debate. Interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,836,801 times
This page here breaks Upstate NY into 8 regions with Rochester and all of Monroe county solely in the Finger Lakes region. It even shows Orleans, Genesee, and Wyoming county as part of the Finger Lakes region which I do not agree with at all. I would put those 3 counties strictly in WNY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM

5,795 posts, read 4,188,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
A few co-workers and I were discussing this and couldn't come up with a definitive answer.

Where does Western NY end and the next region (Finger Lakes region or Central NY?) begin?

I consider everything west of the city of Rochester WNY, to include western Monroe county. Some people say WNY is everything west of Monroe county, but that would make Greece, Spencerport, Brockport, etc. part of the Finger Lakes region. Then what about the city of Rochester? What region would the city fall in? Or do you consider the Finger Lakes region a sub region of WNY? So then it would just go from WNY to CNY. Then were would the WNY/CNY line be? East of Rochester? Its easy for Buffalo (WNY) and Syracuse (CNY) but it seems like everything in-between is up for debate. Interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Depends on who you ask. Orleans county is part of metro Rochester, but Buffalo always claims it with their "western NY" outlook. Genesee and Wyoming too. Genesee was part of Rochester until it split on it's own as a micropolitan region of their own. Buffalo also regularly lumps Brockport and Geneseo Colleges into their stats, as well as Houghton and Alfred which to me would be a toss up.

Just looking at a map, however, logicaly looks like western new york would end just before Auburn, I would say.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

976 posts, read 1,434,755 times
Broadly speaking, there are, for me at least, only 3 regions of NY - Metro NYC, Upstate, Western NY. Everything else is just a sub-region. Western NY is separate from Upstate because it has a unique accent and is very midwestern-ish in a lot of different ways. It is also very far from NYC, and owning to the sizes of Buffalo and Rochester, and their suburbs, it is completely untethered from and not reliant on NYC. In other words, Western NY is truly independent of, and different from, metro NYC, while upstate is just defined as being far from NYC. Another way of saying this is that Western NY is completely non-I-95-ish. Upstate, not really so. As such, Buffalo and Rochester are both Western NY. But maybe if people are used to Buffalo being "Western NY" separate from Rochester, etc., than call the larger region "Great Lakes NY", with "Western NY" being a sub-region.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM

94,342 posts, read 125,293,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Depends on who you ask. Orleans county is part of metro Rochester, but Buffalo always claims it with their "western NY" outlook. Genesee and Wyoming too. Genesee was part of Rochester until it split on it's own as a micropolitan region of their own. Buffalo also regularly lumps Brockport and Geneseo Colleges into their stats, as well as Houghton and Alfred which to me would be a toss up.

Just looking at a map, however, logicaly looks like western new york would end just before Auburn, I would say.
I agree with this, give or take a little.

A lot of these regions really do just overlap and some places can be put within multiple regions. For instance, Ithaca can be viewed as being in the Southern Tier, but is also with the Finger Lakes sub region. That makes sense given that say Ithaca High is in Section 4, which pretty much covers the eastern 60% of the Southern Tier, for sports, but the city is also on a Finger Lake. So, you get a lot of overlapping in regards to the regions within Upstate NY as a whole.

Another example of overlapping is in regards to Utica, which is seen as being in Central NY, but it is also in the Mohawk Valley. Both are right, as again Utica area schools are in the same Section(3) as Syracuse and Watertown area schools for sports, but the city sits right on the Mohawk River and in turn is within the Mohawk Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area