Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,368 times

Advertisements

My family and I just moved here. I am trying to navigate the school districts to determine where we should buy a home. Looking at a rising 5th grader. Looking for a good strings program, as well as a good reading and writing program. Oh, and soccer is an added bonus! :-) If you suggest a district or school, please tell me what you like about it. The more detailed you are the better I can determine how it will fit for our child. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 04:22 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Hopefully others will chime in, but in terms of music education, this list has quite a few Rochester area school districts listed: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...outputType=amp

Brighton, Brockport, East Irondequoit, Greece, Honeoye, Honeoye Falls-Lima, Le Roy(technically in the CSA), Palmyra-Macedon, Penfield, Penn Yan, Pittsford, Rochester City, Rush-Henrietta, Wayne Central, Webster and West Irondequoit are in the metro area.

In terms of Soccer, Rochester area schools are in Section 5. Here are the Sectional Boys Soccer champs from 2020(I believe this Fall): Section V Soccer

Brackets: https://sectionv.org/tournaments/?id=4

History of championships at Sectional level: Past Section V Champions

For Girls Soccer: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...al_results.pdf

https://sectionv.org/index.aspx?path=gsoc

Given this information, the Eastern suburban SD’s of Brighton, Penfield, Pittsford and Webster, along with Honeoye Falls-Lima seem to fit much of what you are looking for. Some of this will come down to some other things, but all are very good districts that appear to have much of what you want.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:42 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clheaps View Post
My family and I just moved here. I am trying to navigate the school districts to determine where we should buy a home. Looking at a rising 5th grader. Looking for a good strings program, as well as a good reading and writing program. Oh, and soccer is an added bonus! :-) If you suggest a district or school, please tell me what you like about it. The more detailed you are the better I can determine how it will fit for our child. Thanks in advance!
If you're already here, where are you presently living? It might fit your needs, but we need to know, in order to provide good advice. Secondly, what is your budget?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:09 AM

Thank you for these lists... they are extremely helpful!

Old 05-06-2021, 07:23 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Where would you work/commute from/to? What type of setting do you prefer, a more dense population closer to the city, village, rural?

Old 05-06-2021, 08:09 AM

I apologize for the lack of information. Here are some more details.

Looking for something within 30-40 minutes of Henrietta.
We are more interested in the suburbs or rural areas, not the city. Villages are fine too...
However, getting into a good school district that offers a strong strings program is the priority.
Also, my child has dyslexia, so I need a school that has strong special education teachers.
We are currently living in a hotel. Hoping to buy a house over the summer. We have a real estate agent, but she is not as aware about these specifics. So I thought I would see if anyone in the community might be able to steer me in the right direction with strings programs and special education.
We can afford a house in most of the districts in the Monroe and Ontario Counties.

I am more concerned about finding the right schools/districts right now. Once the schools are narrowed down, we will focus on a house in those areas.

We drove around the eastern suburbs last night (Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton). I thought they were all nice towns. These are the places we hear the most about.

What about the suburbs in western Rochester? A couple of these towns are on the list for best music programs, but I never hear people talk about them. I also don't hear a lot about Webster, which is on the list also. I never hear people talk about Avon, Churchville, Chili, Gates, Scotsville, Genesee. We are also interested in Victor, but haven't actually driven out there yet.

I feel overwhelmed trying to narrow down these specifics since there are so many districts/schools, and we know nothing about Rochester/Monroe County/Ontario County. We have never been here before, and just arrived Sunday to town. My husband was relocated here for his job.

I hope this information helps a little more. Any advice is very appreciated. Again, I am more concerned about narrowing down the schools that will be a good fit, rather than focusing on location. Location will fall into place once I can narrow down the districts/schools.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:47 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:

We are more interested in the suburbs or rural areas, not the city. Villages are fine too...
However, getting into a good school district that offers a strong strings program is the priority.
Also, my child has dyslexia, so I need a school that has strong special education teachers.
We are currently living in a hotel. Hoping to buy a house over the summer. We have a real estate agent, but she is not as aware about these specifics. So I thought I would see if anyone in the community might be able to steer me in the right direction with strings programs and special education.
We can afford a house in most of the districts in the Monroe and Ontario Counties.

I am more concerned about finding the right schools/districts right now. Once the schools are narrowed down, we will focus on a house in those areas.

We drove around the eastern suburbs last night (Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton). I thought they were all nice towns. These are the places we hear the most about.

What about the suburbs in western Rochester? A couple of these towns are on the list for best music programs, but I never hear people talk about them. I also don't hear a lot about Webster, which is on the list also. I never hear people talk about Avon, Churchville, Chili, Gates, Scotsville, Genesee. We are also interested in Victor, but haven't actually driven out there yet.

I feel overwhelmed trying to narrow down these specifics since there are so many districts/schools, and we know nothing about Rochester/Monroe County/Ontario County. We have never been here before, and just arrived Sunday to town. My husband was relocated here for his job.

I hope this information helps a little more. Any advice is very appreciated. Again, I am more concerned about narrowing down the schools that will be a good fit, rather than focusing on location. Location will fall into place once I can narrow down the districts/schools.
I'm wondering if you have a budget for your home. It might make it easier to narrow things down. In general, the east side is more affluent and, of course pricey, as well as best schools. However, the west side wouldn't disappoint you either.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:45 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,451,701 times
Avon or Victor might be good fits.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:26 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:

Does this statement imply that you'll be working in Henrietta? If so, keep one thing in mind....if you're not familiar with Rochester winters, a 30-40 minute drive in summer, can easily become a 2-3 HOUR drive in the winter. Choose the location of your new home carefully.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:14 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Another thing could be to stay put in Henrietta, as Rush-Henrietta is a good SD that has a lot in terms of shopping and is in a good location. It also tends to relatively lower property taxes and if this even matters, it is a relatively culturally diverse SD with good results across the board. It seems like a district you can suggest to a wide range of people and with a consensus from people of being a largely positive choice.

You do have to be aware of winters anywhere in Upstate NY, but roads usually are cleared in a timely manner and delays occur only if there is serious snowfall versus being a daily occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area