Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 14,025 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate these posts! My husband and I have never moved out of our city, and are completely thrilled about going to Rochester. I'll be starting grad school in August and need some help with figuring out our move...

Mostly, I am concerned about the cost. We have looked at PODS, professional movers, and U-Haul. U-Haul seems the cheapest but work intensive. I should add, we are moving from Texas. So there's a huge drive. Any input?

We have about $8000 to fall back on for our move. We are planning on using my loans and his income (once he finds a job there) for the rest of our rent and other things.

ALSO......we have a cat. I don't know what to do with her in terms of getting her to New York in one piece. I have lots of questions and am grateful for the littlest bit of help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
I know a couple people that moved from Texas to Rochester and they did the Uhall thing from what I recall. One had a dog and they just had the dog ride in the front of the Uhall with them the whole way. It was a pain at times, but they managed.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 AM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
Get a large cat carrier - keep the cat in there with you in the car. Be prepared for some cat crying/howling, depending how they do in the car. Have a litter box, food and water in the car that you can offer to the cat on occasional stops. Some people have their cat medicated - that makes me nervous and I'd rather put up with the crying - they'll tire out after awhile. You'll need to identify hotels/motels that take cats for overnight - try Super8 and Red Roof Inn. (I know that both sometimes take pets.)

Your cat will be very stressed from the change - the ride, motels, new accomodations, arriving in the new place with all the commotion. Try to isolate them to just one area or room in your new place until you get things moved in and settled down a bit. Then if possible, try to be home a couple days. I have two cats - both got stressed on the car ride, which was only about 7 hours. One was very adventurous in the new place and seemed to be having a fine time exploring everything new and climbing on boxes. The other one was totally freaked out, which I expected cause that was our "nervous" cat. I knew he would hide, but when I couldn't find him all day I got worried that he got out - finally found that he had crawled up into the mechanism of one of our upholstered recliners!

There's lots of helpful information on Internet - Just Google, "Moving with pets" or "Moving with cats". Also, check with you vet - they may have some information. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
There are other threads regarding your situations (movers & pet) so try searching City-Data. Some people use drugs for their pets but for me, just try to take your cat with you for short trips now. Start with short ones until she is comfortable and then gradually increase the time she rides in the car. You still have time to get prepared so it will be fine.

Call movers to get quotes and make sure they include all delivery. Here in CA their are heart breaking stories about movers refusing to unload the truck without thousands of dollars in extra charges. You have to compare the costs with how much labor you have to contribute. Be sure to keep your cat inside for a long time after your move as they will sometimes try to return to their own home until they get used to their new surroundings. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 AM

191 posts, read 946,292 times
Hey! I've moved with my two cats in Uhauls a few times. My suggestion is to get a cat carrier, but if it's a long ride I'd feel bad having kitty stuck in there the whole ride. Try letting the kitty in the car with you and drive around your neighborhood to see how it reacts. One of my cats sits calmly in the passenger seat the whole ride (she's extremely well behaved) and the other is restless non-stop and cries the WHOLE way. I went on a 6 hour car ride with the second cat and wanted to chuck her out the window by the end (just kidding, but was it stressful).

My vet suggested sedating my second kitty. The pills make the kitty drowsy and lethargic so they tend to sleep, or at least cry a little less. I felt bad drugging her, but it really, really did help. Try talking to your vet as the medication has to be dosed based on the cat's weight and age.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

317 posts, read 826,426 times
A cat carrier is a must. Also, ask your vet and they will help you out with some meds. It really helped our cat relax, and I believe he actually like the "feeling"...as he acted very social and friendly.

Also, try Budget trucks. I have moved twice in the last two years and used them both times, because of the cost. You can google budget truck coupons and put in a coupon code that will get you a better deal. Book now with a credit card, and if prices go down later (a special)....you can cancel your original reservation and rebook at the lower price.

Have fun and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area