Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand
That is a bit of a stretch Forest. I know Bangor area very well and know you get several local radio stations in the Argyle area. WKIT (100.3) is owned by Stephen and Tabatha King and it is 100% local news, weather, sports, etc.... WMEH (90.9) is the Maine Public Broadcasting station affiliate right in Bangor and has local interest stories and local weather. In 20 years running around that area I never once heard Boston weather, or news on any local Bangor/Brewer radio station.
Argyle maybe unincorporated, but it isn't that remote.
I have no idea of what radio stations are local owned. Nor who owns any local stations. If your buddies the Kings own one, fine, I have no idea. I do not know them.

The strongest station we get is WVOM 103.9

With George Hale and Ric Tyler in the mornings, then Glenn Beck - Rush Limbaugh, and finally Howie Carr in the afternoon.

I am sure if you have been in this area, you must have tuned to it sometime. It is much stronger a signal than any other signal here.

I think they are owned by 'ClearChannel' which owns over 1200 radio stations coast-to-coast according to their website.

We also get 88.5 [Christian broadcasting] and 90.9 PBS [which is great for the coastal weather advisories]

Like I said:
Quote:
We do get a selection of radio stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,440,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have no idea of what radio stations are local owned. Nor who owns any local stations. If your buddies the Kings own one, fine, I have no idea. I do not know them.

The strongest station we get is WVOM 103.9

With George Hale and Ric Tyler in the mornings, then Glenn Beck - Rush Limbaugh, and finally Howie Carr in the afternoon.

I am sure if you have been in this area, you must have tuned to it sometime. It is much stronger a signal than any other signal here.

I think they are owned by 'ClearChannel' which owns over 1200 radio stations coast-to-coast according to their website.

We also get 88.5 [Christian broadcasting] and 90.9 PBS [which is great for the coastal weather advisories]

Like I said:

ClearChannel owns stations in So, California. I use to listen to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh when I lived out there.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Yep Clear Channel own at least one in the Bangor area, as well Cumulus Broadcasting owns at least one, which is another huge radio conglomerate. Stephen and Tabatha King (as in the horror writer and his wife) are not friends of mine, met them a few times, but they are both a bit too "odd" for me to hang with, plus they have a little more coin than I do as well.

Clear Channel doesn't own any stations in Maine at this time, but they do provide some material for stations there. WVOM is owned by Blueberry Broadcasting right in Bangor (who bought their 17 stations from Clear Channel last year before I moved away from Maine), and is also one of the few stations that are owned by either Maine individuals or Maine based broadcast companies anymore.

You said , that all you get are weather, news, and traffic reports from Boston, which is simply NOT true .

Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM

You know you live in a small town when:

1/2 the people make aliving on yard sales during the spring and summer months.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Can you get NPR in the rural areas?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,665,085 times
You know you live in a small town, when you have no one running for the town council or mayor.....

Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM

750 posts, read 2,277,417 times
You know you live in a small town when cousins are marrying each other.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
You know you live in a small town when cousins are marrying each other.

and the big advantage is the invitation list for relatives is uncomplicated.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand
Yep Clear Channel own at least one in the Bangor area, as well Cumulus Broadcasting owns at least one, which is another huge radio conglomerate. Stephen and Tabatha King (as in the horror writer and his wife) are not friends of mine, met them a few times, but they are both a bit too "odd" for me to hang with, plus they have a little more coin than I do as well.

Clear Channel doesn't own any stations in Maine at this time, but they do provide some material for stations there. WVOM is owned by Blueberry Broadcasting right in Bangor (who bought their 17 stations from Clear Channel last year before I moved away from Maine), and is also one of the few stations that are owned by either Maine individuals or Maine based broadcast companies anymore.
You have proven my point.

Quote:
.... You said , that all you get are weather, news, and traffic reports from Boston, which is simply NOT true .
If I can not receive it, then I can not receive it.

The strong signal that we can receive has Boston info, it does not have local info.

The Christian station goes on and on about their transmitter on a mountain somewhere, and how much they need money to keep it going.

The PBS station gives up updates about the weather out to sea, for boating. Which would be 'local' if I lived by the ocean.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM

You know you live in a small town when:
You see farm tractors filling up at both gas stations every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living