Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

When you go to the post office and the clerk knows you by name and address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
When you go to the post office and the clerk knows you by name and address.
You know you live in a small town when..

1.) You call up the local post office, George (really his name) answers and you say, "Hey, It's Paul at the old AM radio station in town" and he knows EXACTLY who you are and where you!

2.) You get a package from Vienna, Austria (from another radio station) addressed like this:

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
WABV-AM 1590 Abbeville
South Carolina, United States

Sure, it had to pass through several other places first.. but the local post office still got it to me no problem!

3.) When you get a package and the mailman calls youi on his cellphone to tell you he has a package as he heads down the road in the other direction and will be by your place in a few minutes.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,322 times
One of my friends lives in upstate NY, Finger Lakes region. Her town is literally a bend in the road with not much more than a tavern and a village hall. The tavern has hitching posts out front, and she says she often drives by and sees three or four horses tied up out front, passing time while their riders are inside havin' a brew.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
You know you live in a small town when you find this message on your answering machine"

"Hello, Roberta. I can't meet you for lunch today. My son is here to visit."

but...there is no Roberta living here, so you call and leave this message on Roberta's answering machine:

"Roberta...Agnes can't meet you for lunch today. Tom is here from Kalamazoo."

Extra small town points if you call the diner uptown and let them know they don't need to save that table for Agnes and Roberta today.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
True...this just happened to us the other day: A letter came to us from Canada, no address, just our name, town, state and zip code. We have lived here for only a year and the people at the Post Office already knew just who our letter was for. They wrote in our address and put it on our mailbox. Love it!!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
You know you live in a small town when the UPS driver calls you up on his cell phone to let you know he has a delivery for you but can't make it up your driveway because of the snow and ice, so you go down and meet him at the end of your driveway.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Quote:
Livewire When you go to the post office and the clerk knows you by name and address.

You know you live in a small town when..

1.) You call up the local post office, George (really his name) answers and you say, "Hey, It's Paul at the old AM radio station in town" and he knows EXACTLY who you are and where you!

2.) You get a package from Vienna, Austria (from another radio station) addressed like this:

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
WABV-AM 1590 Abbeville
South Carolina, United States

Sure, it had to pass through several other places first.. but the local post office still got it to me no problem!

3.) When you get a package and the mailman calls youi on his cellphone to tell you he has a package as he heads down the road in the other direction and will be by your place in a few minutes.

cynwldkat True...this just happened to us the other day: A letter came to us from Canada, no address, just our name, town, state and zip code. We have lived here for only a year and the people at the Post Office already knew just who our letter was for. They wrote in our address and put it on our mailbox. Love it!!

ptsum You know you live in a small town when the UPS driver calls you up on his cell phone to let you know he has a delivery for you but can't make it up your driveway because of the snow and ice, so you go down and meet him at the end of your driveway.

Oh, my gosh, these are so funny! What is with the postal workers? It just happened to me yesterday! Last night our postmaster called me...at work...to say, "I have a package here for you from Japan, and didn't know if you wanted me to put it in your PO Box, or if you just wanted me to hold it for Danny to give to you tomorrow...." I was a little surprised, as I was just on my way out of my office, so I just told her I'd be in during the morning and would sign for it. I guess she figured it being from another country that she ought to call me on this one! How funny!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
You know you live in a small town when you can't get the smile off your face.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
You know you live in a small town, when you answer the phone and the guy says....."yeah, got a load to dump at your place...Camden Medal...... how do I get there" ???

TRUE STORY

Response:
"Well, this is not Camden Medal, but it's 2 blocks from me......where are 'ya? see the Burger King? Turn Right, Turn Left, go over the RR tracks, see my house with the Delaware flag wavin'? How 'ya doing? >>>> waving to the guy in a big truck as he sails past your front porch>>>> O.K. take a right, and it's on your left" Have a nice day!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:37 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
You know you live in a small town, when the letter carrier puts your neighbors mail in your mailbox by mistake and the next day you take the mail with you to give to your neighbor, who works at the local diner, only to pass the sheriff on the road coming the other way and give the mail to him to give to your neighbor.(True story) my neighbor's father is the local sheriff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living