Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times

Advertisements

Got a very healthy baby alpaca yesterday morning. It was 4 F when it arrived. Could almost run within two hours. I keep it enclosed at night with the two females.

The other female will likely deliver soon. I want to be prepared in case this baby is not as healthy.

Their legs are so long and thin that I'm concerned about injury if I tried to put a small sweater on it by myself.

I don't know what vests and neck warmers for colts and lambs and cria etc are called. Makes it harder to find a deal...

I'm not trying to become a veterinarian here by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
I keep losing my post when I try to get another website

When foals (equines) are born during inclement weather, they often wear a body blanket. If the body is warm, so are the legs

Foal Blankets from Schneider's Saddlery

I should own stock in Schneider Tack, so I can say they are a great company to deal with.

That said, there is a web site for Alpaca blankets but I have to post this, then come back in with the other link or I will lose everything for a third time

Ok, here is the link for the Alpaca body blankets. Cursor down to see one for a newborn

Winter Wear - keeping alpacas and llamas warm in the winter.

Wrapping legs is not just a matter of wrapping. On horses, wraps have to go in a certain direction, and have a certain tension on them. There are also different kinds of wraps, some of which are for injuries, some for reducing strain after a heavy workout.

If leg covers are necessary, a newborn's legs should be small enough that a pair of knee hi men's wools hunting socks might work. Cut the feet off and duct tape them on T the top and bottom.

Unless it is routine to wrap baby Alpaca legs in the cold weather, I wouldn't. Keep the body warm and the legs will follow

And yes, you do need to be half a vet where livestock is concerned, lol.

I was raised on a dairy farm and have been paying for my own horses 56 of my 68 years. You can't begin to imagine the things I have on hand that save me from calling the vet. When my vet hears me say "emergency", they are at my farm in an hour or less, lol

Last edited by Normashirley; 12-02-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Appears that I am searching for "foal blankets". My previous searches kept turning up clothing made of llama or alpaca fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living