Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

398 posts, read 746,807 times

Advertisements

Just curious on your thoughts/experiences

I wouldn't be relevant to answer because growing up (and still am), I am a HUGE city person and wouldn't want it either way! I grew up in Boston, lived in LA, and soon will be moving to NJ/NYC. Perhaps it's my personality but I LOVE the hustle and bustle, being surrounded by so many people and so many things to do, and the conveniences of the city. I feel like I can never feel lonely and that's a big thing for me.. especially if I am moving/living somewhere by myself. Easier to make friends and have non-stop plans!

So, I always wondered why ANYONE would ever want to live in such small/rural places where the closest neighbors/people are a 5-10 minute drive or places where there are more trees than people. Doesn't it get lonely and boring? But, I know those of you that enjoyed this lifestyle probably thinks the same about mines.. Why would ANYONE want to pay $700+/month on rent alone and deal with the craziness

Could you ever relocate to a big city like LA/NYC/Chicago/SF, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,236 times
The closest neighbors are 5-10 minute drive and there are more trees than people! Also it is QUIET! I very seldom feel lonely or bored.
I could NEVER move to a big city like LA or NYC etc. WAY too many people! I did live in Indianapolis for a while and that was big enough for me! After living in the country, I wouldn't want to live in a city.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
I have had to live in New Orleans, San Diego, Seattle, Tokyo and Naples among others. I spent a week in Boston last May. Towns don't impress me although I did like visiting the USS Constitution.

In town you have no privacy, no air that hasn't passed through 20 other peoples lungs, you can't have a peaceful moment as there is always noise from somewhere, sirens, people screaming at each other, cars and truck horns, 24 hours of lights but you can't see the sky or stars.
You can't do anything without getting permission from some government lackey because it is against some law some bored bureaucrat thought up during a dull time in the office to restrict you from having a plant or animal or whatever.
Don't drink any water that hasn't been sterilized and put in a plastic bottle

Yeah, I have a hard time believing anyone would want to live in a town when there are still areas where you can hear your own thoughts, know all your neighbors within a 20 mile radius and live like YOU want to, not like someone else wants you to so you "conform" with society.

I get tired of the smell of car exhaust, diesel fumes, sewage, rotting garbage, the lack of civility, standing in a line for everything, if you stop to ask the clerk a question the others in line start grumbling because everyone is in some big hurry to go nowhere.

I don't need a club with loud music, crowds and overpriced watered down drinks to get drunk, not when I can make my own music, and beer for that matter, and enjoy both. Nothing beats the sound of a fiddle singing Ashokan Farewell and hearing it echo down through the trees with only the sound of a creek for accompaniment. That and a good pipe make for a great evening for me.
ashokan farewell - Bing Videos

I don't need hustle and bustle, I don't do a lot of shopping, don't eat at a lot of restaurants, I prefer a trout I just caught cooked over my campfire with some wild berries that grow on the bank for my dinner.
I don't get lonely, don't need a lot of people around and plans for parties or whatever because I am happy living the way I do. A good fire in the stove, a pot of coffee, a good book and a good dog, as long as there is food in the grub box and a solid roof over my head, who needs anything more?

I love seeing the northern lights in the sky on a cold winter's night, or watching a bear or deer drinking from the pond beside my cabin on a foggy spring morning. I get my entertainment from being a part of the natural world around me. The artificialness of the city is an anathema to me.

Nothing wrong with those that want to live cheek to jowl with millions of others, in fact, I prefer folks that have that mindset because it means they won't be out there in the boonies living next to me so I have more room

I have lived in large cities, and hated every minute of it. I don't like the hard concrete on every side, the crowds, the noise, the costs and constant demand for money, no, I could never live in a city if given any choice in the matter.
Hope that answers your question K.Uni.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 05-30-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
. . .
When I was much younger I did relocate to some larger places; e.g., New Orleans and D.C. as well as a couple of smaller places, Albuquerque and Lubbock. Having gained a retirement, I now live on a small west Texas farm where there are no cities, or even large towns, within an hour's drive. Our closest town is 4 miles away and it has only 1200 people.

Do I get lonely? No because maturity has taught me that loneliness is a state of mind and one can be lonely in a crowd. Do I get bored? No because on a farm, there's always a million things in the back of your mind that need to be done. Days go by fast when you are doing something you feel is constructive.

As to having plans, my only plan now is to live out my life as unencumbered and peacefully as I can. That was probably my plan as a young person but, in this world, it takes money to do that.

No, I would never move my family to one of the cities you have mentioned. Please understand that to some people, American cities offer nothing but a start in life. Had I been financially able to move to a rural setting when I was 25 years old, I would have done so in a heartbeat.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nothing beats the sound of a fiddle singing Ashokan Farewell and hearing it echo down through the trees with only the sound of a creek for accompaniment.
Never heard that before but it is beautiful! Reminds me of some of the old Scottish fiddle tunes. My ggg grandfather (1768-1837) was a Scottish fiddler in North Carolina.

Sorry! I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 05-30-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times
I've lived in large cities at different times. Found them to be quite dull and stifling, other than the occasional event.

Living and interacting on a more basic level with the elements suits me better.

So, you're welcome. I won't be competing for a seat at a restaurant, a parking space, a ticket to this or that, or screeching about the various things that city people seem to want done for themselves (better streets, more parks, more services, more entertainment, and on and on).

Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be relevant to answer because growing up (and still am), I am a HUGE city person and wouldn't want it either way! I grew up in Boston, lived in LA, and soon will be moving to NJ/NYC. Perhaps it's my personality but I LOVE the hustle and bustle, being surrounded by so many people and so many things to do, and the conveniences of the city. I feel like I can never feel lonely and that's a big thing for me.. especially if I am moving/living somewhere by myself. Easier to make friends and have non-stop plans!

So, I always wondered why ANYONE would ever want to live in such small/rural places where the closest neighbors/people are a 5-10 minute drive or places where there are more trees than people. Doesn't it get lonely and boring? But, I know those of you that enjoyed this lifestyle probably thinks the same about mines.. Why would ANYONE want to pay $700+/month on rent alone and deal with the craziness

I don't think that it's an either/or proposition for everyone. There are people who feel they can ONLY live in one certain environment, and there are others who are a bit more chameleon-like, and can settle into and enjoy any number of environments. It just depends on what your needs and demands are, and how stringent they are. I would say I'm both a city person and a country person. I used to think I could never do the suburbs, but I've lived in a couple and enjoyed them, and feel like it really depends on the character of the community, like with anything. I'm married to a military member, and my flexibility, the fact that I like changing up the scenery, and my tendency to bloom where I'm planted make the lifestyle suitable for me. There's nowhere I've ever moved where I feel like "Wow, I do not like it here." I've loved everywhere I've lived.

I grew up extremely rurally. For the first 18 years of my life, I lived on a rural spread where the nearest town was about ten miles away, and even that was a village of under ten thousand with few amenities other than the most basic. To get to an urban or even suburban area required two hours of driving, minimum. I loved it. I went to college in a small town, about 10k, an hour or so from a sizeable metro. Loved that, too. My post-college life has bounced back and forth between small towns and large metros. I've done it all. To answer the "Could I move to LA/NYC/Chicago/SF?" varies. I've lived in Chicago for several different stretches in my adult life, and am there, now. I love it, and when we got a chance to relocate here temporarily on a billet, we jumped at it. It's a favorite of mine. Were cost no object, I'd definitely enjoy San Francisco; I really enjoy the natural setting surrounding it and the culture, as well as access to beautiful coastline, woodlands, wine country, etc. it's a great city. NYC I am good with never living in. I've spent time there, and find I don't enjoy the overall vibe in any regard. Access to museums and its historical aspects are about the only draw for me. The people I've encountered there, I have mostly found unwelcoming and offputting, and that really detracts from any city, for me. I've spent time in a lot of cities, both foreign and domestic, and NYC is by far the most rude I've experienced - there's a lot of cool stuff there, but the people kind of ruin it for me. I've never been to L.A., so I can't speak on it. But if a California move were in our future, it would most likely be San Diego due to its function as a military hub, and I would be A-OK with a billet there. I suspect it would be more my taste than L.A.; I know my husband likes it lots more than L.A.

When it comes to rural v. urban, each has its pros, each has its cons. City dwelling can't be beaten for ease of access to amenities, both practical and cultural, access to quality health care, availability of public transportation, and a wider range of employment availability. Rural dwelling can't be beaten for peace, solitude, cost of living in many regards, availability of space, outdoor activities/lifestyle, various pet ownership (I grew up with horses, large, non-apartment-friendly dogs, etc.). Each is a different feel.

On the con side, when living rurally, while solitude is wonderful in many instances, it can easily cross over into isolation in certain circumstances, which can be dangerous, particularly when involving extreme weather. My mom was nearing the end of a high-risk multiple birth pregnancy when a severe blizzard, and getting her safely to a hospital was an enormous undertaking...had it not been 1979, it would have "gone viral," no doubt...dramatic. There is some amount of inconvenience inherent...you have to plan and can't just pop into a corner shop for something you need or forgot. Internet shopping has made some things better (when I was in high school, you had to make it a day trip to Chicago to go prom dress shopping, essentially, and that was at least four hours of driving, alone). Internet access can be expensive, which makes telecommuting hard, and telelcommuting is often a necessity, given the limited number of higher-than-minimum-wage jobs available. City living's cons mostly have to do with the myriad inconveniences of being surrounded by large numbers of people who are all trying to get to and at the same places you are, typically at the same time. Much like solitude can be a double-edged sword and cross over into isolation, a bustling urban community can cross over into crushing, maddening, stifling crowd, which can be extremely stressful. The sheer number of people can be frustrating, trying to access roads, parking, public spaces that get filled with litter and trash because with so many people using them, you're bound to get many who are irresponsible with their waste, something as simple as eating in a restaurant without having a waiting list. Astronomical rent/housing prices for small, cramped dwelling places is a tough pill for people who've experienced better (like my small-town apartment in my early twenties that was two bedrooms and 2,000 square feet for $350/mo. and free laundry onsite).

But I don't despise city living just because I love country living, and vice versa. There is give and take to each.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 05-31-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM

30,535 posts, read 16,231,137 times
I live in jeans, shorts, t-shirts and sweatshirts (depending on the season). Nobody cares.

The folks at the library know me-say hi to me and call me by name when I come in. They even tell when a book comes in they'll think I'll like.

Greeted similarly at the bank and the Y.

It's easier to walk on dirt than cement.

The noise of birds, water flowing over stones, the wind in the trees beats honking horns, shouting and engines any day.

Stepping outside and seeing stars is preferable to seeing street lights. The smell of hay is nicer than the smell of exhaust fumes.

Enjoy your city life. And I do appreciate your question: it doesn't come across as judgmental. (I think most city folk look down on country people.) Your post just seems like you want to know-no snob facade involved.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's my personality but I LOVE the hustle and bustle, being surrounded by so many people and so many things to do, and the conveniences of the city. I feel like I can never feel lonely and that's a big thing for me.. especially if I am moving/living somewhere by myself. Easier to make friends and have non-stop plans!
It is your personality. I HATE the hustle and bustle, being surrounded by so many people of cities. I like the peace and quiet and lower crime rates where there are more trees than people, and if I need something I don't mind driving to get it or waiting for it to be delivered via UPS/FedEx/etc.

I like being able to park and old vehicle or camper in my driveway without someone calling the police or the HOA with a complaint about it.

I like the wildlife that's all around in the country, I've got a picture of a black bear looking in my window. I love it, just the thought scares the pants off other people.

It's easy to have non stop plans for things to do in the country, they're just different than what you might do in the city and generally those plans don't depend on other people. There are various fairs and county events that draw people if I just have to be around a crowd - once or twice a year is more than often enough!

Quote:
$700 for rent? That doesn't even get you a 150 square foot "appodment" in Seattle - that is really crazy but I'm glad there are places for people who want it, better me and better for them to be crammed into some high density city.

Quote:
I'd hate it, but for enough money I would do it. Enough money meaning that after suffering through LA/NYC/Chicago/SF, etc. for a year or two I'd be able to retire kind of money, a regular IT salary wouldn't be nearly enough. If my company required me to relocate me to SF (where we're opening a new dev center) for what I make now, I'd quit first and find another job.

Currently I live in a rural area on the very far edge of a large metro area (several million people), it's not rural enough for me. My inlaws live in a very rural area, not more trees than people but only because it's farming country - no trees but one of the things I really like out there is everyone waves to each other when you meet on the road. Just a brief two finger wave off the steering wheel, it's a small thing, probably seems trivial to someone who loves the city, but I like it.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Currently I live in a rural area on the very far edge of a large metro area (several million people), it's not rural enough for me. My inlaws live in a very rural area, not more trees than people but only because it's farming country - no trees but one of the things I really like out there is everyone waves to each other when you meet on the road. Just a brief two finger wave off the steering wheel, it's a small thing, probably seems trivial to someone who loves the city, but I like it.
I grew up in farming country, myself, and my parents still live there. I've noticed that the random two finger wave is even going by the wayside, out there. Times, they are a-changin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living