Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

Damn. I have such a hard time with deliveries.
My driveway is 1/2 mile long. It’s dirt and gravel.
At the mid point you cross over a narrow section between some ponds.
I’ve had 2 oil companies and 1 propane company tell me they can’t continue service because they are afraid of getting stuck in the winter or mud or whatever.
If it snows at all, even a dusting, UPS just won’t even try. And believe me, I do a damn good job clearing the snow.
Obviously I live in a rural area, you’d think the drivers would be used to navigating these types of roadways because they are commonplace here. But no. According to tracking it’ll say out for delivery but stuff doesn’t show for days after. Sometimes they’ll be an update next day that’ll say delay or some crap but I know these guys get to my driveway and chicken out.

Due to our somewhat remote location we do a lot of online shopping.
Stuff eventually shows up, but that’s the thing, “eventually”.
I think I finally got an oil guy that isn’t afraid to come here, providing the driveway is clear of heavy snow or ice. Just venting. Wondering if anyone else has his problem.
It’s not the end of the world it’s just a little annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 AM

400 posts, read 573,371 times
I live in a rural location, but don't have a driveway as treacherous like yours. Based on what I was told by a UPS driver, any incidents that they have (such as getting stuck) go right against their work performance record. If that's the case, I'd probably chicken out too and just leave the packages at the end of your drive.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM

I wouldn’t have a problem if they left stuff at the end(beginning) of my driveway.
Not sure if they would do that though.
I guess if I could actually get a hold of one of these guys I could ask about that but I’m never around when they actually do show up.

If it’s the same driver in theory I guess it could work but I know from my Peapod deliveries it’s a different guy every time. Took a few months for word to spread that they didn’t have to back up my driveway as per company policy. Funny. I’d hear the back up beep for like 5 minutes and I felt bad so I kept telling the drivers you can drive straight in, property opens up and they have plenty of room to turn around to leave. I guess the word got around, now they just drive in and turn around to leave.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
When I lived in Rural Colorado, UPS (FedEx would send their packages in the UPS truck), Would not go off the Main State Hiway,

They would do a package drop at the School (K-5)/Library. And you would have to go into town to get them.

(Was worked out with UPS to provide service to town, as long as they could do one drop. State HiWay was a "DeadEnd" drive up 15 miles to town, then turn around and go back.)

Along the way many ranches on the HiWay put out "Package Boxes" for UPS to leave packages at the end of there driveways, Most were the size of a footlocker mounted to the fence at the end of the driveway.

Oil/Propane/Diesel Seen to all get delivered before the snow hit the "off-road" places they would stock up in the fall and it would be enough to last till spring.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:17 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
My driveway is gravel, also 1/ 2 mile, with switchbacks and curves up 3K' to the top of my mountainside cabin. I pick up mail and most deliveries at the PO, some deliveries are shipped to my neighbor on the flat land. At one time we allowed delivery trucks up, but most would skid and tear up the gravel. The only delivery truck I allow up is the LPG truck, others travel at their own risk, the sign on the gate post clearly states No Trespassing. You would need a Helicopter to get out if you drove off the driveway in some areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else have delivery issues? Fuel oil, UPS, etc...-20170605_081426.jpg  

Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM

^^^^
Yup. That’s my driveway(minus the cows).

No problem with USPS.
Box is at the end of the block and we also have pobox.
If a parcel comes, they leave the slip in the box to come pick it up at the post office.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"My driveway is gravel, also 1/ 2 mile, with switchbacks and curves up 3K' to the top of my mountainside cabin". Are you saying your cabin is at 3000' elevation ? Or your driveway increases 3000' in elevation in 1/2 mile ?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"My driveway is gravel, also 1/ 2 mile, with switchbacks and curves up 3K' to the top of my mountainside cabin". Are you saying your cabin is at 3000' elevation ? Or your driveway increases 3000' in elevation in 1/2 mile ?

I can’t give you exact figures.
Going down driveway, odometer reads 1/2 mile, top to bottom.
Topo maps indicate my cabin is at 3K’ + or -.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
If UPS can't get a truck up your driveway, how do you expect a fire department to manage it? Codes in my county require hammerhead turn-arounds every quarter of a mile, no overhanging branches or brush, and a turn-around at the house with room to accommodate an engine and tanker. They have let some pretty fancy houses burn because the driveway was a jeep trail.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
" can’t give you exact figures. Going down driveway, odometer reads 1/2 mile, top to bottom.
Topo maps indicate my cabin is at 3K’ + or -."

What does the topo say at the bottom of your driveway ? You are most certainly not starting out at elevation 0.

What type of vehicle do you use to navigate the driveway ? 4x4 required in dry weather, wet weather ?

The National Interstate system attempts to limit % grade to 6, some state roads are more, so perhaps your driveway grade is beyond the limits of your delivery trucks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living