Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times

Advertisements

Well its my 10th year in a small rural town and one thing that strikes one the most about rural people is their utter naivety about the real world,Sure you can criticize big city living for all the noise congestion crime rude people, but there is one thing that living in a big city does is it give you experience in how to survive and compete in the real world. When you grow up in rural america,unless you want to work in the local gas station walmart or your family owner business you have no choice but to move to a big city, no problem for most, but for rural folks that is a problem , they are now faced with a world they are just not prepared for,some survive , other come back with their tales between their legs.Its not just the big city but its the fact they have to deal with people of different races political persuasions, religions and yes even sexual orientations.scary, scary stuff!!One good example happened a few years ago,a guy I knew was an amazing artist he loved doing tatooes but was working in some dead end very low paying job at a local business. I persuaded him to get a job in the city at a well know tatoo parlor, he did, and was making very good money,and had a nice apt but it didnt last long.After a year his health went down the drain, the last time I saw him he had lost so much weight I didnt even recognize him, he quit soon after words and nobody has heard from him since. Local store owners are just as naive,
I walked into our local goodwill and saw a lady who had two of the clerk occupied asked all sorts of dumb question,I immediately felt something wasnt right, when I walked to the back of the store I found the lady's partner in crime shoving merchandise into a very large handbag.Its amazing how oblivious these people are to something that is so obvious to me and you.Just the fact you are walking into a store with a very large empty handbag should arouse suspicion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNjW33GgTw&t=24s

Old 04-18-2018, 04:53 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
So if people need to leave to have any measurable success as you say, then why are you still there after 10 years?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Well its my 10th year in a small rural town and one thing that strikes one the most about rural people is their utter naivety about the real world,Sure you can criticize big city living for all the noise congestion crime rude people, but there is one thing that living in a big city does is it give you experience in how to survive and compete in the real world.
Small communities and rural locales are as much the real world as urban centers.

Quote:
When you grow up in rural america,unless you want to work in the local gas station walmart or your family owner business you have no choice but to move to a big city,
Not really. I grew up in rural America. I went to college and actually came back to my rural community and was an editor and reporter for two local community newspapers, for many years.

My peers who lived locally did things like teach in the schools, are nurses in the local hospital, one opened a restaurant.

Quote:
no problem for most, but for rural folks that is a problem , they are now faced with a world they are just not prepared for,some survive ,
Again, no.

My siblings and I were all well-prepared for the world. All four of us received bachelor's degrees, work in professional fields, live in small towns, midsized cities, and huge cities. All of us enjoyed an idyllic rural upbringing.
Quote:

other come back with their tales between their legs.Its not just the big city but its the fact they have to deal with people of different races political persuasions, religions and yes even sexual orientations.scary, scary stuff!!
No.

And, it's "tails." It would seem that "big city learnin'" has failed you.

Quote:
:One good example happened a few years ago,a guy I knew was an amazing artist he loved doing tatooes but was working in some dead end very low paying job at a local business. I persuaded him to get a job in the city at a well know tatoo parlor, he did, and was making very good money,and had a nice apt but it didnt last long.After a year his health went down the drain, the last time I saw him he had lost so much weight I didnt even recognize him, he quit soon after words and nobody has heard from him since. Local store owners are just as naive,
I walked into our local goodwill and saw a lady who had two of the clerk occupied asked all sorts of dumb question,I immediately felt something wasnt right, when I walked to the back of the store I found the lady's partner in crime shoving merchandise into a very large handbag.Its amazing how oblivious these people are to something that is so obvious to me and you.Just the fact you are walking into a store with a very large empty handbag should arouse suspicion.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 PM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
What a load of tripe.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:49 AM

12 posts, read 14,654 times
Just had door kicked in on one small town property I bought. Had everything stolen when just 4-5 things were in it but didn't put up curtains yet. Wouldn't think the thieves would look in the laundry room window in back either but yes. Then realized both door frames were new and no trim on either door so town probably has some thieves...Population 1500.

Other small town community I purchased in had 3 contractors and all were crooks. He even mentions later he has been to court 4+ times as defendant and court lets him win...Some left town after he screwed them. Explains why I've seen job ads for contractor to travel to small town for 4 weeks to finish up renovating houses. Cannot get a sober or trustworthy local contractor. Can't even get a furnace guy to answer in some small towns even if you call an hour away, no one returns phone calls for days. GAWD, remember you have to be self reliant and have backup heat or sure friends with mentally stable, sober furnace guy who doesn't pick fights. Don't buy anything rural and fixer upper unless you can do the work yourself or you have family/friend you can trap into helping. Another population 1500..

REALLY cannot leave a bunch of stuff in small town houses unless you get to know the neighbors. Was told as city kid if you move to country, needed to remain in the house at least 6 months before you are gone for more than full day at work. Small town people will steal everything that is even hooked down unless neighbors like you enough to call sheriff on them.

Town of 10k is so nuts in some spots, can do kidnappings of unwelcome to harass them or hit someone over head during the night trespassing and these don't get in trouble with cops. Little *hits are running around like looney tooneys...Sheriff is so filthy in spots, lots gets covered up...

Gawd, don't even want to mention some of the employment scams I've seen in some small towns. So much BS at some employers, they just bring in new people to get look at new women and screw them out of job within a few months. Others are shuffled through the town's jobs against employee's will if you are broke and probably end up getting charity tank of gas back to your family out of state when you wind up homeless if you won't latch onto the local male (read POS) who offers to "help".

City is easier to people. Left in your employment too in city most of time. Don't get angry over weird stuff or threats...Be cool in city and is just easier than dealing with the new country sticks any more. Looked at multiple country houses someone just walked out in middle of remodel or painting, dropped paint brush. Told by neighbors they went back to where they came from after whatever...Also get to see LOTS of country or small town FOR SALE ads with kitchen door barred shut and braced.

Last edited by misskansas; 04-19-2018 at 04:58 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskansas View Post
Just had door kicked in on one small town property I bought. Had everything stolen when just 4-5 things were in it but didn't put up curtains yet. Wouldn't think the thieves would look in the laundry room window in back either but yes. Then realized both door frames were new and no trim on either door so town probably has some thieves...Population 1500.

Other small town community I purchased in had 3 contractors and all were crooks. He even mentions later he has been to court 4+ times as defendant and court lets him win...Some left town after he screwed them. Explains why I've seen job ads for contractor to travel to small town for 4 weeks to finish up renovating houses. Cannot get a sober or trustworthy local contractor. Can't even get a furnace guy to answer in some small towns even if you call an hour away, no one returns phone calls for days. GAWD, remember you have to be self reliant and have backup heat or sure friends with mentally stable, sober furnace guy who doesn't pick fights. Don't buy anything rural and fixer upper unless you can do the work yourself or you have family/friend you can trap into helping. Another population 1500..

REALLY cannot leave a bunch of stuff in small town houses unless you get to know the neighbors. Was told as city kid if you move to country, needed to remain in the house at least 6 months before you are gone for more than full day at work. Small town people will steal everything that is even hooked down unless neighbors like you enough to call sheriff on them.

Town of 10k is so nuts in some spots, can do kidnappings of unwelcome to harass them or hit someone over head during the night trespassing and these don't get in trouble with cops. Little *hits are running around like looney tooneys...Sheriff is so filthy in spots, lots gets covered up...

Gawd, don't even want to mention some of the employment scams I've seen in some small towns. So much BS at some employers, they just bring in new people to get look at new women and screw them out of job within a few months. Others are shuffled through the town's jobs against employee's will if you are broke and probably end up getting charity tank of gas back to your family out of state when you wind up homeless if you won't latch onto the local male (read POS) who offers to "help".

City is easier to people. Left in your employment too in city most of time. Don't get angry over weird stuff or threats...Be cool in city and is just easier than dealing with the new country sticks any more. Looked at multiple country houses someone just walked out in middle of remodel or painting, dropped paint brush. Told by neighbors they went back to where they came from after whatever...Also get to see LOTS of country or small town FOR SALE ads with kitchen door barred shut and braced.
What's the matter? Can't you find a broader brush?

Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING you said is just as prevalent (if not more so) in a large city. Size of the population has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
What a load of tripe.
Yeah.. I figure it's just a provocative bait post.

Same with the one where everyone rural is a thief. And, like TabulaRasa... their city lernin' hasn't served either one very well.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think hifijohn and misskansas might have a lot in common!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think hifijohn and misskansas might have a lot in common!
They should get together, move back to the city, and leave us rural folks to enjoy our enjoyable small town surroundings. Jeebus, I get tired of complaints about "small town" living. If you don't like it, move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living