Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 10:50 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't reject out of hand any and all...... but as I have explained, if repeatedly, there is a sea of things that bite and sting out there.....so going to find the hidden key may not be as easy as it seems. FURTHER, as one person pointed out, a crow might steal it (or worse, pick up the hiding rock and find the underside covered with fire ants or rattlers or black widows). I don't know the habits of the crows but I have lifted the cap on my gas tank to check its level and found a nest of active, peeping birds under it.

HENCE, this is the country and things might not be as easy as one thinks. Hence, for a question in the Rural Forum, perhaps a long pair of heavy work gloves might be a suggestion of something to go into that emergency chest.

As far as what does internal security mean? It means that some things are none of anyone's business and are not open for discussion. As far as a minder, you know what they say....Google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...t=gws-wiz-serp

In other words you're saying that there is no safe place on your ranch to hide a key...
You seem to fight every, even so easy solution making them an impossible task. Why are you starting threads if you don't want advice???
Most of your dilemmas just need to use common sense. They aren't complicated at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 11:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You seem to fight every, even so easy solution making them an impossible task. Why are you starting threads if you don't want advice???
Most of your dilemmas just need to use common sense. They aren't complicated at all.
I am taking advice, such as with the satellite phone or other suggestions that bear closer examination that I have not addressed in either direction, such as .22 vs 9mm. Or that point about the Emergency Key Release on the Garage door. Taken and noted without further comment. Or the suggestion of the non knob door handle for that is already how things are there. Or the Rubbermaid storage boxes (a good notion if they clash with the decoration).

It is just when the question is being answered by things that have been stated as not there or by changing the parameters that things seem to get difficult.

I think we can write off some suggestions, such as the flame thrower, as jest. In the same notion of laying down poison, the can of Raid, not on my land, please.

On that key rock, how does that retain temperature in relation to other rocks. Here's the thing. One time, my yardman found by whacking it on the head with the weedeater a 4 foot rattlesnake. It was cooking itself against the foundation of the house. Snake went one way, yardman went the other....rapidly.

But there's the question, how likely is the key rock to be used like that, by some "cold blooded" creature using the underside for "temperature regulation"?

Old 01-17-2024, 11:24 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,706,526 times
Quote:
I am taking advice, such as with the satellite phone or other suggestions that bear closer examination that I have not addressed in either direction, such as .22 vs 9mm. Or that point about the Emergency Key Release on the Garage door. Taken and noted without further comment. Or the suggestion of the non knob door handle for that is already how things are there. Or the Rubbermaid storage boxes (a good notion if they clash with the decoration).

It is just when the question is being answered by things that have been stated as not there or by changing the parameters that things seem to get difficult.

I think we can write off some suggestions, such as the flame thrower, as jest. In the same notion of laying down poison, the can of Raid, not on my land, please.

On that key rock, how does that retain temperature in relation to other rocks. Here's the thing. One time, my yardman found by whacking it on the head with the weedeater a 4 foot rattlesnake. It was cooking itself against the foundation of the house. Snake went one way, yardman went the other....rapidly.

But there's the question, how likely is the key rock to be used like that, by some "cold blooded" creature using the underside for "temperature regulation"?
Instead of rejecting the solution out of hand due to questions about temperature retention, a reasonable person would simply push the key hiding rock over with a stick to determine if any four foot rattlers, or other undesirable creatures, had taken up residence under the fist sized fake rock. After ascertaining that indeed there were no undesirables present, one would then retrieve their key, re-enter their house, and go about their business.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:35 AM

19,827 posts, read 22,734,712 times
When my son was in middle school he had to walk from the bus stop 1.5miles to the house. He often forgot his house keys and one of us would have to drive home, let him in and then drive back to work- an hour out of my day. So I made him wear his key around his neck tucked into his shirt for a while.

That was pre-pepperbox hidey thingy.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Instead of rejecting the solution out of hand due to questions about temperature retention, a reasonable person would simply push the key hiding rock over with a stick to determine if any four foot rattlers, or other undesirable creatures, had taken up residence under the fist sized fake rock. After ascertaining that indeed there were no undesirables present, one would then retrieve their key, re-enter their house, and go about their business.
This is not the question posed. The question and topic is about an emergency clothing/gear chest on the porch. Why can't we focus on that instead of going off on this tangent? At the very least, I need rain boots and probably a flash light to step off my porch in my bed things to go off after this key.

As I have said, people are changing the parameters of the question. Please refer to the OP.

By the way, fire ants can be on sticks, too. I am very careful, for example, when I pick up a hose that has been lying in the grass. Further, I hope a reasonable person would have a bit more respect for the territory than just "simply push the key hiding rock over with a stick".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
When my son was in middle school he had to walk from the bus stop 1.5miles to the house. He often forgot his house keys and one of us would have to drive home, let him in and then drive back to work- an hour out of my day. So I made him wear his key around his neck tucked into his shirt for a while.

That was pre-pepperbox hidey thingy.
As I do. I come home, take off my jeans, and put on the "House Talisman", my house key and minimal keys (vehicles, Cat Cave, Ready Locker) on a lanyard, around my neck. I don't take it off unless I am in the shower or changing into jeans. But as "ready" as this arrangement is, the emergency clothing chest on the porch is a step further in case something should happen to that set of keys.

Old 01-17-2024, 12:07 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:

What the heck? I have a fake rock with key, it's plastic, it's about 4 inches, the lizards and the snakes do not care about it.

On the other hand, we DO have a flame thrower.

I have pull on rubber boots by the door I go out, I almost always put them on when I go out... because snakes. Even when I am in pajamas. Frequently I go out to the garden during the season in pajamas and boots. Friends came over and I'm wearing shorts... and boots. "Nice outfit."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2024, 01:10 PM

9,004 posts, read 4,697,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, "hey guys" to me means everyone. I just cannot get into the gender thing either (there's too many choices). I'm old and I have to draw the line at what I can adjust to -- LOL.
Too many? No, there are only two and a half , but some forums have a symbol next to your screen name, depicting which one you think you are.

Quote:
I initially went back and watched Canadian Prepper's earlier videos. He started to get more and more crazed and that's when I had to disconnect. I actually just found this Ex-Green Baret that has a channel and it's much more sane just going over outdoor survival tactics and it's called the Gray Bearded Green Beret.
I used to watch a couple of those channels, but I think they have covered everything they can, so now I just shoot the breeze and solve puzzles on line. Unless someone asks me a question.

Quote:
In the same notion of laying down poison, the can of Raid, not on my land, please.
I hope you know: most of the animals and insects you refuse to kill live by a different set of rules.
Even a lot of plants carry their own can of raid.
(That is where we found permethrin, which I use in Zone B, the lawn.)

Quote:
It is possible some insects and arachnids (and those new, hammer head worms) might use it. Most of those key hiding rocks are too small for a snake.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:34 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Many a mornings, I go out on the porch in just my bed things, to marvel at the pre dawn sky, mentally write my poetry. I have my house keys around my neck on a lanyard. But in the back of my mind, I wonder about "what if" something failed and I was unable to get back thru the porch door.
When I was building this house, I was very proud to have keys that worked on our front doors. I tried to make a big deal out of giving my DW her keys to our house.

That was in 2007, and those keys have not been used since.

Nobody around here locks their doors.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:42 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,301,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was building this house, I was very proud to have keys that worked on our front doors. I tried to make a big deal out of giving my DW her keys to our house.

That was in 2007, and those keys have not been used since.

Nobody around here locks their doors.

I don't lock my house when I go to the porch or further down the road to retrieve my mail now that you mention it.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:10 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,706,526 times
Quote:
This is not the question posed. The question and topic is about an emergency clothing/gear chest on the porch. Why can't we focus on that instead of going off on this tangent? At the very least, I need rain boots and probably a flash light to step off my porch in my bed things to go off after this key.

As I have said, people are changing the parameters of the question. Please refer to the OP.
Unfortunately, you don’t want an actual solution. You are simply interested in getting people to dance to your tune, while you keep changing the key (Ha! See what I did there? ).

If you are going to again reject a very simple, practical, and workable solution because fire ants might get on a stick, well, you just don’t want a solution. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living