Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 184,494 times

Advertisements

Last time I lost my job and my livelihood I thought about attempting to sell my home in the city and moving to a small town where housing was really cheap. I figured that with the profits from my house sale, I could afford to work part time until retirement.

But then I started getting nervous that no one would hire someone in their 50s even part time in the small town when there was younger people not working. And then there is the insurance issue.

Anyway, is there anyone who moved to the small town (for cheap living) after losing their job in the city and it seemed like it would be nearly impossible to get a new one at your age? If so, what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
Last time I lost my job and my livelihood I thought about attempting to sell my home in the city and moving to a small town where housing was really cheap. I figured that with the profits from my house sale, I could afford to work part time until retirement.

But then I started getting nervous that no one would hire someone in their 50s even part time in the small town when there was younger people not working. And then there is the insurance issue.

Anyway, is there anyone who moved to the small town (for cheap living) after losing their job in the city and it seemed like it would be nearly impossible to get a new one at your age? If so, what was your experience?
This post is so naive that it takes my breath away. It leaves me both slackjawed and speechless.

Or perhaps I'm being too harsh. Probably am.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
I would think moving to a small town will be easier on your expenses, but harder on your income. If all you can do is work for someone, there will be very basic jobs available for you. The city would have more opportunities then. If you can be a tradesman ( a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter), then you can survive anywhere.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,620 times
Opportunity - and expenses of living - tend to differ based on what you think of as a "small town." Going form a million plus city to a 100,000 "town" [a really big city to many of us in the hinterlands] is whole lot different from ending up in a place with a couple hundred, or a thousand, people.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 PM

50 posts, read 158,767 times
Default thinking the same thing

I have to weigh in on this as I have been planning the same thing. I am a 58 year old woman who is concerned with retirement issues etc. If I moved to a small town and bought a small house that I could afford with my retirement funds and SS, I think it would be alot less stressful than trying to rent in a big city. Most places are dumps and charge way to much. At least in a home of your own you could do repairs and paint etc, and even rent out a room if necessary. The job factor is an issue but you have to research prior to moving. I have also realized people will pay for childcare just to have a night out and that's a good way to work part time without all the deductions. I have lived in small towns before and miss the "community feeling" that you don't often have in a large city. I don't want to have to work myself silly when I am older just to pay the rent on someone elses place. I think as long as there is an airport nearby, a way to get around town if you don't drive or don't own a car, decent weather in the winter and something for the grandkids to do when they come it would be o.k. I have researched small towns all over the country and it IS doable. There are so many older women out there who have no plan for the future it's scary. I am lucky in that I have a little help but I still worry. I think more of these small towns will see people coming just to be able to buy a house, especially if employment isn't a big issue. You have to be creative but for me having a "home" is a top priority. I don't want to live with my kids or have them worry about me. I plan to get debt free (almost there), save enough for emergencies, and buy a small place and live simplier. I would love to hear from anyone who is planning something similiar.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
This post is so naive that it takes my breath away. It leaves me both slackjawed and speechless.

You're being WAY too harsh, the original poster asked a very valid question.. I see nothing wrong what she said.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
I agree, RadioBroadcaster2008 !

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM

32 posts, read 184,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

I just thought that if I could sell my City home for $800K and buy a similar home for 200K in a small town and take the $600K profit and put that money into an annuity and collect 5% a year in income, ($30,000 a year), I would be able to work part time until I retired in ten years and still survive financially.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
I just thought that if I could sell my City home for $800K and buy a similar home for 200K in a small town and take the $600K profit and put that money into an annuity and collect 5% a year in income, ($30,000 a year), I would be able to work part time until I retired in ten years and still survive financially.
Oh hell, internet nut, Ive seen Houses way cheaper then $200K in some small Midwestern and Northern Plains town.... alot cheaper, in towns that were pretty nice and had all the basics.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
You really need to research the job market before you make such a move. I live in TN and we have had a great influx of folks like yourself moving for cheap housing and low property taxes. With the economy as it is those having to work are having a hard time. Many people I know are losing jobs and/or having hours cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living