Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM

208 posts, read 872,425 times

Advertisements

Will the higher price of gas affect the number of people living in rural America? I believe it will depress the cost of land prices-people can no longer commute to work and people on fixed incomes can no longer choose to travel for Dr appt.'s and shopping.I have one neighbor who lost her good paying job that she could do online 2 weeks after she bought her rural home and now has a lower paying in town job that also costs her gas expenses.Ouch!! When people refuse to move far from a city,doesn't this just create urban sprawl and suburbs?They now are predicting $4.00 a gallon for gas this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Part of the cost of living away from sprawl and larger cities. I don't even bother to look at gas prices to tell the truth, I have to get it no matter what it goes to. Just have to adjust my rates if they get too high.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I guess I'll counter that rural living may actually cut miles traveled for some people. When we lived in urban sprawl, we thought nothing of driving to the store to pick up one or two items, repeatedly driving to a home improvement place when building a project, going to restaurants and so on. Living rurally, a trip to the store isn't just a drive of a few blocks, and a lot more planning goes into a trip. Lists are made, the order of stores hit decided, and the trips are built around fixed appointments. For us, that means hitting town an average of once a week, sometimes twice, but usually less.

Where the increased cost of gas hits is in higher food costs, something we can mitigate with gardens and livestock and smart bulk shopping to fill our pantry and freezers. People who depend on work "in town" and live rurally are more affected, so the point may be valid that it slightly reduces urban sprawl. However, fuel is only part of the cost of car ownership, and people seem to be still driving as much as ever.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I guess I'll counter that rural living may actually cut miles traveled for some people. When we lived in urban sprawl, we thought nothing of driving to the store to pick up one or two items, repeatedly driving to a home improvement place when building a project, going to restaurants and so on. Living rurally, a trip to the store isn't just a drive of a few blocks, and a lot more planning goes into a trip. Lists are made, the order of stores hit decided, and the trips are built around fixed appointments. For us, that means hitting town an average of once a week, sometimes twice, but usually less.

Where the increased cost of gas hits is in higher food costs, something we can mitigate with gardens and livestock and smart bulk shopping to fill our pantry and freezers. People who depend on work "in town" and live rurally are more affected, so the point may be valid that it slightly reduces urban sprawl. However, fuel is only part of the cost of car ownership, and people seem to be still driving as much as ever.
Here in our rural area it doesn't matter as we have to travel back and forth to shop...farmers have to operate their equipment...and if the high prices of gas mean fewer people will want to move to my area...great! We are friendly folks but are too used to having our neighbors so far away you need binoculars to see them.

I am semi retired and self employed so I will just have to adjust my rates so my clients will pay the freight.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:29 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
I'm only about 4 1/2 miles outside of Town and every morning Monday through Friday I go into town to a little coffee shop and while I'm there I'll figure out what errands I have to run while I'm there, that way I'm only making one trip and a tank a gas in my pickup truck can last me about 2 1/2 weeks or more that way.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I make sure I do all my shopping 1 day a week. If it runs out then it has to wait til next week. I do have to drive to work and back but found the shortest route and do that. No zipping here and there on the way home.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
We live about 35 miles from a town. The little store about 6 miles from us is building on, again. Their sales are up, way up. Mom and Pop are back!!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Good topic, nocoldiron. I live on the fringe of a massive megalopolis, where nearly every imaginable retail and entertainment business in the country is available within a 20 mile or less radius. Yet, most people in our suburban area drive 15K to 20K miles a year easily. Harry Chickpea is right.

I live "car lite", using a bicycle for daily commutes to work and around town. Even use the local bus system occasionally. Car gets used occasionally on weekends when I need to get away from the suburbs.
I am planning to move away from here in a few years when I retire to a small or medium sized town, but it probably will not be too remote. I am not a shopaholic and don't go to mega malls, which are common in my area. A town with a decent grocery store, produce stand, hardware / home supplies store and drug store can provide me with most of the daily essentials, and if I can get to those places on the bicycle that's even better. Anything beyond the essentials could wait for a weekly car trip to a nearby larger town that would be within an hour or so drive.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 AM

208 posts, read 872,425 times
Default If you had to move

We already live rural but are planning to move this summer or next.We already do all the things to cut fuel costs but have found the cost of gas is affecting our househunting.We use the VA hospital frequently,we have drawn a circle around them to stay within one hour driving time.We belong to the baby boomer generation,we cannot adjust a fixed income except by moving to a cheaper area,leaving Oregon for Oklahoma and eliminating a mortgage payment. We LIKE remote area's.I look forward to having a couple of beef cattle and a chicken coop,providing I can raise enough of my own feed to make it cost effective.I hate having to live closer in.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
The increase in petrol has affected my life-style. I would just get into the car for the pleasure of it and a tour of the community. Now I parse out my trips and I am very far to almost anything. Today I have been putting off a trip, but will do so in a few minutes, and will undoubtedly have to fill up again.

And I live on the border of two states, and select the least expensive of the two. The difference can be as much as 20-30-40 cents/gallon.

I found this to be true when I lived in NM also. I lived in Taos, and the petrol in town was always as much as 40-50 cents/gallon more than expensive Santa Fe. I normally stopped enroute to a larger city at one of several reservations where, when lucky, petrol was more reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living