Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:12 PM

490 posts, read 837,388 times

Advertisements

Anyone a member of Lifetime Fitness in either Rocklin or Folsom? I took a tour of the facility in Folsom and liked the higher-end feel, indoor and outdoor heated pools, the outdoor patio sofas at the pool with a top shade, music playing outdoors, lots of classes offered, indoor basketball, plenty of gym equipment. It feels like a cross between a high-end gym, resort, and a borderline country club. I think the cost kind of keeps the gym from being packed with people and probably leads to avoiding some BS that can occur at the more affordable gyms (although I've generally found people to be well behaved at the affordable gyms I've gone to).

I think the cost for 2 family members in the same household is like $189/mo. So it's quite EXPENSIVE. A monthly car payment or HOA payment, for some. For $400-700, you can get 2-year memberships at 24-hour Fitness Standard or All Sport, respectively (from Costco). At Family Fitness, membership is $59 per person plus $10 per 2nd person, so $69 total. The local 24-hour Fitness is small and the Family Fitness is also relatively small compared to other locations I've seen, which makes things feel a bit cramped.

All things considered, we've been thinking about going with Lifetime Fitness and biting the bullet on the monthly dues for two family members. The reasons being: (a) we are not using the facility only to get a workout in and be in and out, but instead are looking for a relaxed, unrushed experience to get fit, relax, get refreshed in body and mind, like visiting a resort or a country club, (b) we have historically spent about that much or more per month on dining out on weekends, going to movies, eating out on weekdays at work (which adds up), so that money could be instead spent on the membership fees and we'd get health benefits, (c) going on a 7-10 day vacation for two may cost about as much as the annual cost of membership at Lifetime for two, but a Lifetime Fitness membership is something we could enjoy year round. We'd spend probably at least 2 hours per day, 5-6 days a week over there, using the treadmill, some weighs, other machines, taking a dip in the pool and lounge around the pool area on the outdoor patio sofas and maybe reading, using the hot tub, trying out some classes, using their showers and locker rooms to freshen up. I think it'd be better than our current routine of movies, dining out, or staying home and watching tv and being on the computer after work.

We can definitely use the physical activity for better overall health, and can stand to lose weight. I've spent hundreds of dollars on electronics/computer stuff/etc for entertainment without any health benefit, so the Lifetime Fitness membership dues seem justifiable from that point of view.

Also, Lifetime is right next to Costco, which we visit regularly, while the 24-Hour Fitness and Family Fitness are a little bit less convenient to get to, which may impact how often we'd go.

Just wondering what current Lifetime Fitness members have to say about their experiences and whether it has been worth the relatively high price of admission for them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 PM

70 posts, read 128,767 times
I'm not yet living in the Rocklin area but I will be soon - right now, I have a membership for my daughter and I at the Lifetime Fitness in Flower Mound, TX. I pay $140 for both of us monthly. To us it is worth it for the amenities like the pools, the sauna/steamrooms, the classes etc... and you never have to wait on your favorite machine.

I'm hoping our monthly rate doesn't increase when we get moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento