Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 36,972 times

Advertisements

I need some insight into what area would best suit my needs from the forum. I have already read through for hours and came up with my final choices I think.

I plan on moving in the next 12 months and would like to be either in the:

Sugar House area right next to the park, close to the shopping center, right next to the only 24 hour sport in the area, 35 minutes from Park City, 10 minutes from downtown amenities.

OR

Downtown leaning towards the 9th and 9th area but not exactly and still downtown. Here I am 43 minutes from Park City, 8 minutes from the Gym, other parks are available, in the middle of the nightlife and close to other major shopping venues.

--- I live in the Houston suburbs right now about 40 minutes from Downtown. Everything in Texas is far away. In SLC I want to be in the middle of the city. I just don't know if by being 10 minutes away from downtown and 15 from some of the major venues in Sugar House I will enjoy the park and those surroundings more or want to be downtown feeling even more centric and cosmopolitan so to speak.

---What are the drawbacks to each and pros? Meaning will I be better of just driving or taking a cab downtown every time I want to go to the bars since it is relatively close or if I live dwtn I won't really have a reason to ever be a Sugarhouse?

Priorities: Snowboarding at Park City, Going Out to restaurants/bars/coffee shops/clubs/events/concerts/open air city places such as the mall they built for Olympics/parks

I know I need to go check it out myself. I will in the coming months i just want an idea. I also don't want to stray to far into the University area since i am not in college anymore. But I do like the fact that it is close by. But won't want to be living towards that corner of the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGoose33 View Post
I need some insight into what area would best suit my needs from the forum. I have already read through for hours and came up with my final choices I think.

I plan on moving in the next 12 months and would like to be either in the:

Sugar House area right next to the park, close to the shopping center, right next to the only 24 hour sport in the area, 35 minutes from Park City, 10 minutes from downtown amenities.

OR

Downtown leaning towards the 9th and 9th area but not exactly and still downtown. Here I am 43 minutes from Park City, 8 minutes from the Gym, other parks are available, in the middle of the nightlife and close to other major shopping venues.

--- I live in the Houston suburbs right now about 40 minutes from Downtown. Everything in Texas is far away. In SLC I want to be in the middle of the city. I just don't know if by being 10 minutes away from downtown and 15 from some of the major venues in Sugar House I will enjoy the park and those surroundings more or want to be downtown feeling even more centric and cosmopolitan so to speak.

---What are the drawbacks to each and pros? Meaning will I be better of just driving or taking a cab downtown every time I want to go to the bars since it is relatively close or if I live dwtn I won't really have a reason to ever be a Sugarhouse?

Priorities: Snowboarding at Park City, Going Out to restaurants/bars/coffee shops/clubs/events/concerts/open air city places such as the mall they built for Olympics/parks

I know I need to go check it out myself. I will in the coming months i just want an idea. I also don't want to stray to far into the University area since i am not in college anymore. But I do like the fact that it is close by. But won't want to be living towards that corner of the map.
Most of the nightlife, which admittedly is pretty underwhelming to begin with, would be in the downtown area. I also suspect that there are maybe more single young adults downtown than in Sugarhouse. Other than that, I'd say it would pretty much be 6's. You'd probably be happy in either area.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Really quick what 6's?

I think that I like being 35 minutes from Park City from SugarH and from Downtown I am closer to 45> In the same breath I have to probably take a taxi if I want to go out to the nightlife which will be 10 minutes away and by all means that is lose.

I just don't know. It is like a coin flip like you said. That is why I will only sign a 3 month lease the first go around.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
9th and 9th doesn't really have a nightlife. Maybe true downtown does, I haven't been there late to see it for myself. There are some bars along 2100 S and 1100 E that are open, but not a lot of them. Pleanty of restaurents, coffee houses, stores, etc. This isn't just a big nightlife kind of place!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Arrow Vs

I understand that the nightlife is limited. I lived in Honolulu for 4 years and it was pretty limited there also. I would venture to say that it will be close to what SLC has. Like 4 or 5 clubs and a few dozen other venues.

I am not saying I will go out all the time. I will be involved in running at the parks, eating out for pretty much every meal so that is where the little places come into play, snowboarding, going to 24 hour gym, hiking, going out to bars. So what I am saying is that just the overall surroundings where do I need to be.

What is better when I walk out my door? What will I rather have a 10 minute drive away Sugar House OR Downtown?

So what you are saying is that if I live at the 9's I might as well be Downtown or Sugar House because that is sort of a NO MANS LAND so to speak.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Really quick what 6's?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. In other words, a coin flip.

Quote:
I think that I like being 35 minutes from Park City from SugarH and from Downtown I am closer to 45> In the same breath I have to probably take a taxi if I want to go out to the nightlife which will be 10 minutes away and by all means that is lose.

I just don't know. It is like a coin flip like you said. That is why I will only sign a 3 month lease the first go around.
That sounds like a smart move. If I were you, I'd go for downdown, but that's just me. I think that all three areas (Downtown, Sugarhouse, 9th and 9th) would have roughly the same number of pros and cons. I'd look at all three and base my decision on where you find the nicest apartment from the price.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,691 times
Quote:
Really quick what 6's?
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Either way, it is all about the same.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,061,296 times
Quote:

Given your priorities I would lean to Downtown, if you list read...

Priorities: Playing Neil Young songs at open mics on my Guild 12 string, nearby park with good northern light for my painting, poetry workshops, a progressive "vibe", volunteer work.

Then Sugarhouse would be a closer match.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Yeah that does not sound good to me. i though it was more of a college young people vibe with at least a few bars that got a good crowd.

The reason I am stuck on Sugar House right now is the park, access to the hwy, the food places and 24 hour fitness being so close.

I am looking at some other areas cloer to where the walmart supercenter is below downtown but not sure yet I figure the night i want to hit up some club I can get a cab. Otherwise I will be living good with the gym, park and eating out at normal restaurants daily instead of the downtown restaurants that might be geared for tourism.

I have been flying around in the google satellite and all the grren looks a bit better in satellite than the tops of buildings lol

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,061,296 times
Quote:

I have been flying around in the google satellite and all the grren looks a bit better in satellite than the tops of buildings lol

Do you know how to use Google "Street View"? Utah is one of the best mapped places for this feature I have seen to date. All of the neighborhoods you mention are covered. Just go to the upper right hand corner of any Google map you open and left click, drag and drop the little man on to any street that lights up in blue.

Then you can menuever down streets using the arrows, pan 360 degrees, zoom in or out, go full screen, etc. You can take a complete virtual tour of the entire area.

It's a bucket of fun too...

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 09-13-2011 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Should spell check before submitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area