Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 63,311 times

Advertisements

So we are moving to start working at Hill AFB probably the first or second week of May. Unfortunately our current california vehicle registration is due April 20th (freaking $230 too). I really don't want to pay the california registration, just for 2-3 weeks of use. I already called the california DMV and they do not offer any temporary registration of any kind.

Is there any way to get our Utah vehicle registration without living in Utah yet? I know it says you need residency, does that mean we have to be physically living in Utah already? What if we have an approved rental house agreement?

Or my other option is to just risk it and let our california registration expire. Would I be able to register my vehicle in Utah (Davis County) if my current California registration was expired a few weeks prior? Thanks to any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
I am pretty sure you can't register it without actually being here. Davis County requires a safety and emissions certification to register the vehicle.

You should be able to register it even if your CA registration is expired, however.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks, looks like I'll move on to plan B and just risk it for a few weeks with expired registration. Can anyone confirm that you can register a new out of state vehicle with expired (previous state) registration?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Hmm, because I was curious, I decided to take a peek at the dmv website. As it reads, it might be possible for you to register it.

"If you’re temporarily living outside of the state, you may register your vehicle in Utah without being present.

The UT DMV will allow you to register by mail by following the “New to Utah” requirements posted above. Because getting an emissions test may be tricky if you reside in a state that does not require testing, the DMV strongly encourages calling them for help with this as well as help in determining your vehicle’s exact registration fee. You may reach them at:

(800) 368-8824.
(801) 297-2020 TDD for hearing impaired.

New to Utah?
After establishing Utah residency, you have 60 days to register and title your vehicle with the Utah DMV. Both can be completed at the same time. For the complete scoop on titling, visit our Title Transfers page.

To complete the UT car registration process, bring to your local DMV office:

A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
Your current out-of-state vehicle registration certificate.
A completed Certificate of Inspection (Form TC-661).
The vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection can be completed by a DMV employee during registration process.
Proof of passing a safety inspection and/or emissions test, if applicable (see “Utah Vehicle Inspections” below).
Payment for registration fees (see “UT Vehicle Registration Fees” below)."

If you establish residency (by a rental agreement), maybe you would be able to? Because CA requires safety and emissions, you might be able to get those done there. I am pretty sure CA's emissions requirements are more stringent than Utah's are. It is worth a call to ask, right?

Here is the website, if you care to peruse http://www.dmv.org/ut-utah/car-regis...stration-in-UT

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Try to get temporary Utah registration maybe?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Also: you can definitely still register a vehicle in Utah if its current registration in another state is expired. A few years ago I bought a car in Colorado that hadn't been registered in years. When I got it here to Utah, registration was no problem.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:49 PM

914 posts, read 972,903 times
Draper has registration centre and easy to get to . They do tests one side and registrations on the other side in the same building

Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
Also: you can definitely still register a vehicle in Utah if its current registration in another state is expired. A few years ago I bought a car in Colorado that hadn't been registered in years. When I got it here to Utah, registration was no problem.
OK .... but can you do it without being a resident in Utah ???
I am trying to stay on the subject matter ...
<<<Register Vehicle in Davis County without Residency?>>>
The rental agreement might be a good solution.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 AM

543 posts, read 1,381,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK .... but can you do it without being a resident in Utah ???
I am trying to stay on the subject matter ...
<<<Register Vehicle in Davis County without Residency?>>>
The rental agreement might be a good solution.
What CCSLC wrote is the subject matter. The OP asked the above as well as if they can risk not registering in California and then register when they move to Utah with an expired registration.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 AM

Thank you all for the responses! I won't bother trying to register without residency yet as it seems it's not necessary. Plus it would be a lot more work to have to take a trip up there just to do the inspections/dmv thing.

We will register it in Utah (2-3 weeks after expiration) when we get our rental home agreement all setup mid-May. It sounds like it won't be a problem trying to register with expired out of state registration! Thank you all!

Last edited by onecrazyfoo4u; 04-13-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: