Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
After talking to my husband, we've decided to do just that. We've been spending $113 a month for hundreds of channels we never even watch. My biggest concern right now is this: Is there any way that, without cable, we could still record stuff to watch later on?
Yes, but it all depends on your set-up.

I have a *dumb* TV, but I have a *smart* DVD/CD player.
All inputs, whether from some APP on my DVD player or from the TV tuner (OTA stuff) in the Player, goes to the dumb TV for actual viewing. The TV does have a TV tuner ! I have a cheepy 200 dollar laptop that is dedicated to the TV. AND I have a super good internet download speed. Just keep complaining about the cost and those internet providers will give you discounts left and right ! (you get what you pay for)
I can record the output of the DVD player, or from the dumb TV, on my laptop for later viewing.

All by all still cheaper than cable or Satellite !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Nice! I can definitely live with that... at least for a while. Thanks for the advice, kaytidid!
Another option you might want to consider is a Tivo

https://www.tivo.com/shop/ota-detail

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Another option you might want to consider is a Tivo

https://www.tivo.com/shop/ota-detail
Pricey but in 3 years you have it all paid for with the *savings* of not using cable ...
So yes, a good *option* if you do not know how to do it otherwise !
Simple set up !

Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I do understand since you must have had several old ones ?

<<<If anybody still has their old antenna on their roof, hook it back up>>>
3 years?! No way! I pay approximately $50 a month for my Dish service. The TiVo I posted is $400. That means in 8 months I will have it paid for.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
3 years?! No way! I pay approximately $50 a month for my Dish service. The TiVo I posted is $400. That means in 8 months I will have it paid for.
oops ... you right Kayti !

Whatever *savings* Katz would get, I wonder how much actually.
We were able to *save* 82 dollars a month, I know for sure because that was what it *was*, that many years ago.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
We have Dish Network and my bill is $39.00

With this Channel 5 kerfluffle - my spouse called Dish Network and complained - and they gave us HBO and another subscription movie channel for free until the situation is resolved.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:00 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,877 times
Quote:
We have Dish Network and aren't able to get Channel 5 (NBC) any more. I'm sure somebody here knows the situation better than I do. Could you help me understand what's going on. Is this going to last indefinitely?
Late to the discussion, but here's what's going on:

Local affiliates (KSL-TV, in this case) own the exclusive right to air network (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc.) programming within their designated market area (DMA). This originally related only to over-the-air tranmissions and existed because the national networks needed a local transmitter to broadcast their content, but as cable and satellite television came into being, the agreements were written to include newer methods of transmission as well.

So, KSL-TV (really its parent company Bonneville) controls the transmission of NBC content to all of Utah and parts of Wyoming and Nevada (the Utah DMA is the largest in the country geographically). Cable and satelline companies like DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc. aren't allowed to just pick up the free over-the-air transmission and retransmit to their paying subscribers (making money off KSL's and NBC's product). So they negotiate payment to KSL for the right to rebroadcast the content.

Dish doesn't want to pay KSL as much for their content---both NBC and local KSL content---so they've stopped carrying it completely. Dish can't work with NBC directly because KSL has already negotiated the right to show the NBC product to people in this geographic area (KSL doesn't exactly pay NBC for their affiliate agreement... it's more of a negotiation about how much advertising time will remain network and how much KSL will be able to place as local ads; NBC still needs KSL in many respects, both to get their entertainment product to over-the-air homes here in Utah and to bring local news to them nationally when appropriate [think Elizabeth Smart, SLC 2002 Olympics, etc.]).

But, other rebroadcasters like Comcast and DirecTV are still paying what KSL wants (or wanted at the time of last negotiation), so the content is still available there (for now). And KSL is still broadcasting over-the-air (only the FCC can prevent them from doing that, and it would take a lot to stop that!), so if you hook up an antenna to your television and tune it to "5," you'll be able to see all KSL and NBC programming. This is, of course, easier to do if you have another television to make your "NBC/KSL television" rather than switching between Dish for most programming and then going to an antenna for just one channel.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
We did end up getting rid of Dish and are watching TV now without any satellite coverage. There are still issues, of course. The biggie is not being able to record programs I'm going to miss. I was able to catch up on "This is Us" before last night's episode by watching it on my computer directly through NBC's website, but not everything I'd typically watch is available. We had a professional do all of the hookups, so I know they're done right. Our Netflix streaming doesn't work as well as it did when we had satellite coverage, either. But we will be saving $128 a month, and we really weren't using 99% or more of the channels we were getting.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
We did end up getting rid of Dish and are watching TV now without any satellite coverage. There are still issues, of course. The biggie is not being able to record programs I'm going to miss. I was able to catch up on "This is Us" before last night's episode by watching it on my computer directly through NBC's website, but not everything I'd typically watch is available. We had a professional do all of the hookups, so I know they're done right. Our Netflix streaming doesn't work as well as it did when we had satellite coverage, either. But we will be saving $128 a month, and we really weren't using 99% or more of the channels we were getting.
Katz, with that much savings, why not spend some of that money saved on a better internet speed.
Your Netflix Streaming is dependent on a good internet connection and speed !

We (as always the squeeky wheel gets greased) complained, and got a very high speed (one step below the highest possible) and our Netflix and other streaming stuff over the Net is great. We also watch stuff via Amazon, and ROKU ...
Note: depending on where you live, you may never get a good download speed ! So check and find out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: