Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM

546 posts, read 2,203,511 times

Advertisements

do homes sell well during snowy winter season?
do people normally wait till spring to make an offer and then move in to avoid the snowy season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
I think that people think they can get better deals during the winter. Maybe that is true. We bought our first place in Utah during the winter. Moved in over the Thanksgiving Holiday. It was snowing that day. Any subsequent homes were purchased in the spring/summer. I didn't set out for it to be that way. It is just the way it happened.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I think that people think they can get better deals during the winter. Maybe that is true. We bought our first place in Utah during the winter. Moved in over the Thanksgiving Holiday. It was snowing that day. Any subsequent homes were purchased in the spring/summer. I didn't set out for it to be that way. It is just the way it happened.
was it very difficult to move when it snowed? would you prefer to move in when it didn't? thanks for helping.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
For those who move b/c of a job transfer or a new baby, it doesn't matter what time of year it is, they have to move. As I am planning to move back east, I am taking my house off the market at the end of the month b/c I refuse to drive across the country in winter. However, I am retired and don't have to go, I just want to go.

For people who are moving to get into a better school, or a bigger house, or one with whatever, they generally do wait until Spring so the kids can go into the new school in Sept. It's also easier to go house-hunting when it isn't snowing!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM

273 posts, read 1,246,939 times
I sold a house once on a snowy day in March. It had been on the market for 11 nice, sunny spring days with no lookers. On the 12th day it was snowing hard and we got three separate lookers. The second ones bought the house that day. Go figure.

As a home buyer you will probably have more leverage during the winter months because the market slows down.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM

Default are homes taking a long time to sale during this mkt?

do you all think that the home price are still gradually decreasing? per this link:
Home prices along the Wasatch Front

I think it's still better to stay put and wait a while and not buy if we can. I'm waiting for the 3rd quarter pricing report. I see brand NEW homes in the market that has not been sold for the past half a year or even more and homes for sale sign every where, almost at every corner of the street, do you think everyone is just holding off with their home purchase as of now? is my observation for the homes not being sold for so long in the market correct? I could be wrong.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM

273 posts, read 1,246,939 times
Interest rates are at 5.625%, home prices are down, it's a buyers market. It could get even better, but then it could get worse. Who can tell?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
Do you have a realtor? If not, you should get one. Homes in any market are more/less desirable based on location. Some areas are dead in this market; others are still not doing too badly. I've spoken with two realtors and done quite a bit of research. Prices are down and probably not at bottom yet, but again--some areas are WAY down, others not nearly as bad.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
do you all think that the home price are still gradually decreasing? per this link:
Home prices along the Wasatch Front

I think it's still better to stay put and wait a while and not buy if we can. I'm waiting for the 3rd quarter pricing report. I see brand NEW homes in the market that has not been sold for the past half a year or even more and homes for sale sign every where, almost at every corner of the street, do you think everyone is just holding off with their home purchase as of now? is my observation for the homes not being sold for so long in the market correct? I could be wrong.
Oh, that link leads to disgusting info! I should have tried to sell last year!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
do homes sell well during snowy winter season?
do people normally wait till spring to make an offer and then move in to avoid the snowy season?
Homes do sell during the winter, but it's at a much slower rate. It's generally the best time to buy in terms of price.

I actually moved out on the hottest day of the year in July 2006, and moved into my new home on New Year's eve. Moving in July was much, much more miserable. The cold wasn't great, but I guess it wasn't that bad because there was no snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area