Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

My wife and I are considering moving our business to the SLC area (South Jordan possibly). The business involves providing services for home owners which are normally covered by homeowners insurance. Consequently, our sales and marketing is geared primarily towards insurance agents and adjusters. We are not Moron but have great respect and admiration for those who are. We are wondering however, if not being Mormon is a big obstacle in business to business sales/relationship building? As an outsider tot he church, it would seem that if you're not in the club, you might struggle to establish the relationships necessary to thrive (from a business perspective). Or maybe it's just not something that comes up or is a big part of the process?

I apologize if this is a naive or ignorant question, it's just hard to sort out what to expect from the different posts I've read on this forum. Most of the questions relate to personal social interaction between neighbors etc. Maybe the answer to those questions are the same as mine...that's what I'm trying to find out.

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight you may be able to provide.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Speaking from experience as a non Mormon, when I utilize a business, I have NO CLUE whether they are Mormon or not. The value and customer service is what I look for and what determines whether I will be a repeat customer or not.

Provide a service people are looking for, provide it for a fair price and put the customer above everything and you will have a successful business here...Mormon or not.

Best of luck with your venture!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
I agree with Katydid, I would never ask what religion someone is or is not (I am also non-LDS).

Got a chuckle out of this line from your post though. Glad to know you respect morons, but aren't one!
"We are not Moron but have great respect and admiration for those who are."

Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I agree with Katydid, I would never ask what religion someone is or is not (I am also non-LDS).

Got a chuckle out of this line from your post though. Glad to know you respect morons, but aren't one!
"We are not Moron but have great respect and admiration for those who are."
I am a Moron, Steve! I'm happy you don't have anything against us! And I agree with Kaytidid and frogandtoad. Nobody cares when they frequent a business whether the owner is a Mormon or not. Morons who go into business tend not to stay in business very long, though.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
As a newb to SLC I can give you my perspective (even though I'm not in B2B sales).

Based upon my interaction with realtors, neighbors, barbers, and even the tourguides at temple square I can say with enthusiasm that any negative preassumptions about people from LDS are overblown and without base.

They actually are very warm and friendly people; almost remind me of southerners in a way. They aren't bashful to talk about their religion but I've never felt uncomfortable discussing it with them and even my own faith (Methodist).

The only thing that took getting used to for me is all the white people in Utah. Coming from FL, SLC is like a whiteout compared to my hometown. At first I was worried form my fiance' (Indian) then myself (white), but after interacting with the locals for a few weeks now I'm comfortable calling this place home.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
Well, of all the letters to accidentally omit (I promise), that was probably the worst one, lol . I am very pleased that the "morons" in SLC and surrounding areas will not be too judgmental or try to exclude us from their group. A few more posts like my first and I may apply for moron membership.

Joking aside, thank you folks for the responses, they are most helpful. If possible, I would still love to hear from any non-morMon small business owners who have any direct experience as it relates to my original question.

Thanks!

Steve (moron in training)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 PM

313 posts, read 778,797 times
There are plenty of people who get leads from church, just like anywhere I imagine, but if someone walks into your office they won't try and pull some secret handshake or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: