Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:32 AM

24 posts, read 75,709 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me – I do appreciate it.

I am considering a move from N. Florida, and am planning on a trip to your area to check things out and would really like to know the good, bad and ugly about the area.

A few things I’d like to know are, what’s it really like to live there? Is it a fun place? I’m looking for diversity and openness, friendly caring people and progressiveness, but also the ability to make some place my home and just fit in. Guess I like small town charm, warmth and personal friendships with city amenities close by. What areas would you recommend to live? I should mention that I am a 43 yr old, college educated, divorced white male, no kids.

Love the outdoors, especially biking, hiking and water sports, along with white water kayaking/rafting – are those opportunities available there and are they close by? Nice lakes that are boatable/skiable?

Since I would not know anyone in the area, are there clubs, social organizations, etc. that would make it easy to meet people? What about dating opportunities?

What about professional/job opportunities, business environment? My background is Marketing/Advertising, and I have my real estate license as well, but I may pursue something totally different or start my own business. What industries are there? How are commute times? How is the tax situation?

I am more of a spiritual than religious guy, but would still like to be around like minded people – how well is that tolerated, and are there churches like Unity, Religious Science, etc. there?

How healthy is the area? Decent air and water quality? What about lifestyles? Are people into health and wellness, and does the community support it with good food stores, restaurants, outlets, etc? How the the overall environment? Is it being protected?

What about cost of living/housing? I would rent to start, but if I liked the area would love to purchase a home and settle for long term.

Local Government – progressive? Controlled growth?

I love to travel – how are flights out of the local airport? Easy to fly to lots of destinations? Costs?

I know I asked a ton of questions, but again, any info will be greatly appreciated!

PS – One last thing. Can you recommend a good hotel for my visit that is reasonable/cheap, clean and safe in the area? Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,668,040 times
Well, I saw your post on the Austin board and I now live in Austin but just moved from SA ( June 1st ) Both cities are very alike in climate and the fact that they both sit on the edge of the hill country. So far, I would have to say that SA has a more family feel than Austin, and I have kids and I am married. Austin does seem to be more into the outdoors, parks and hiking trails are all over and water is only a few mins away. In SA its more of a drive depending on where you are. There seem to be more ponds and streams around here than in SA. We moved up here for job relocation (IBM). I would say you are gonna find more free thinkers here than SA and depending on who you are that could be bad or good...and for you it sounds like that may be a postive, but thats not saying SA does not have them to..just not in large groupings...Both cities are expanding and SA seems ahead in the road dept cause Austin is just now getting going with the freeway system but it does not seem just awful. Crime in Austin (murders at least is really low and they are complaining about it, something like 10..SA has a higher number but its seems like its done by someone they know or they were into something bad...not all of them but a large amount of murders) Both cities I think have decent air and water ...just have to come check them out...In Austin I always stayed downtown but last fall we stayed on 4th street and it was loud all night. I might try and get something in the Arbortum Area in Austin and Something on the Northside in SA.

GL

Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 AM

351 posts, read 1,587,912 times
Hi,

Reading you post, Iwould have to say that you and Austin seem like a perfect match.

Reading all of the threads on here, it seems that everyone wants to pit Austin vs. San Antonio for some reason. We are all Texans so what does it matter?

Austin is beautiful, and the outdoors opportunities including water sports, biking, frisbee, and just a general outdoorsy feel are more prevalent in Austin.

I am not saying that SA does not have ALL of those, it is just more centrally located in Austin, as is the NightLife (a LOT easier getting around the bar scene, San Antonio's nightlife is spread waaaaay out).

Both places rock. Both places are a good choice to live.

Visit both, drive during rush hour, and spend a couple of days in each is the best advice I can give you. If you can handle the HORRIBLE traffic in Austin, then you can handle the worst that town can throw at you. I have to admit also that San Antonio DOES have some aggressive drivers. I would have argued against that before leaving for a couple of years and coming back with fresh eyes, but by far, the traffic in SA is much better.

I Love San Antonio, but Austin is a great town too. Both of these places offer a great quality of life.

Your choice, Apples or Oranges.

crazedchef

Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,691,025 times
Agree with crazedchef that Austin would be a better fit for your lifestyle.

It also depends if you like Spurs or no spurs.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 AM

24 posts, read 75,709 times
Thanks for the great info everyone! I will visit in person soon to check out both areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio