Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Just throwing it out there...last week was the official "Eid" for Muslims. I work down the way from a Muslim center. They have their regular services in the evenings, and boy, if you don't make it out of the office before a certain time you better be willing to wait to get out of your parking space. They even have secuity gaurds to keep things under control.

Last week was the official "Eid" on the Muslim calendar. It was crazy early in the morning with people feasting and celebrating. I've never been sure what the official greeting is for the holiday so I didn't say anything to any of the guests..but no one was in the way, seemed oft putting or anything horrible.

The thing about people say "I don't want to know about your religion" is that we all have the same roots. That's why we should be open. Christianity, Islam and Judiasm are all call Abrahamic religions for a reason. Understanding another religion will help you understand yours better. But, again that's my opinion. And food? Again, sign me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 AM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
My sister lives in a primarily Muslim country and she's has never been singled out in anyway or discriminated against. I would hope that we could show the same respect as a "Christian" nation. I am not Christian nor Muslim or associated with any organized religion for that matter yet I respect all in their beliefs.

I can tell you that the food will probably be amazing and I'd LOVE to go. Better mark my calendar now!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't see how this is helpful.
Well, if you go maybe you would find out for yourself. We like to make assumptions about other people without getting to know them first, how smart is that?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
Good point my friend, but is more than just food; it's about getting to know real people with real lives, aspirations and fears, just like any other American. Shame on us for singling out Muslims for our own inadequacies and frustrations; don’t let the best of us betray our Muslim brothers and sisters, they are trying to reach out to us. Do your civic duty and reach out back to them.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
"The organizing entity, the Muslim Cultural Heritage Society, is a nonpolitical, nonreligious, nonprofit organization. It was formulated to exchange ideas, learn from its heritage, give back to the community, contribute to charity, unite its members and share its best practices with the community at large.

The purpose of organizing Eid Festival 2010 is to showcase the lifestyles of the rainbow of cultures within the diverse Muslim community to the larger community of which they are a part.

Presentations will showcase a variety of international foods, crafts, clothing, jewelry and games of various social and ethnic origins, besides lectures, cultural show and social service opportunities.
"

I think that some of us miss the point here: this is not a religious but a cultural event. It is not any different than Mexican, Polish, Jewish, German, Italian, Greek or German festival. Many of us want to attend the October Fest in New Braunfels, many participate in other similar festivals - so why has this one suddenly anything to do with the religion??
This is all about international food, crafts, clothing, jewelry and games of various social and ethnic origins. Nothing more.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM

129 posts, read 323,360 times
Never argue religion or politics.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"The organizing entity, the Muslim Cultural Heritage Society, is a nonpolitical, nonreligious, nonprofit organization. It was formulated to exchange ideas, learn from its heritage, give back to the community, contribute to charity, unite its members and share its best practices with the community at large.

The purpose of organizing Eid Festival 2010 is to showcase the lifestyles of the rainbow of cultures within the diverse Muslim community to the larger community of which they are a part.

Presentations will showcase a variety of international foods, crafts, clothing, jewelry and games of various social and ethnic origins, besides lectures, cultural show and social service opportunities."

I think that some of us miss the point here: this is not a religious but a cultural event. It is not any different than Mexican, Polish, Jewish, German, Italian, Greek or German festival. Many of us want to attend the October Fest in New Braunfels, many participate in other similar festivals - so why has this one suddenly anything to do with the religion??
This is all about international food, crafts, clothing, jewelry and games of various social and ethnic origins. Nothing more.

Even better.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Wow, how easily this got spun into Muslims vs. Christians, and I just love how anyone of any other faith besides Muslim has gotten bit*hslapped for expressing their viewpoint.

If this were a cultural event, then it should be marketed as a "Middle Eastern" or "Indonesian" event. Islam is a religion, and a Muslim is a follower of Islam. I challenge anyone here to say if an event were marketed by Christians that it wouldn't be denounced as some kooky Baptists hoping to bible-beat a few people.

Smells like hypocrisy to me. At least some people in this thread can be honest.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
The fact that we can have the event speaks volumes about how we do practice freedom of religion in America. I'd like to see a Christian festival in some other countries and see how well it goes over.
Have you ever heard of a festivity called "Christmas" (Birth of Jesus)?
It's celebrated in almost every country around the World.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM

254 posts, read 548,327 times
I would love Phil Hardberger to attend this.
I wonder if he would get confused for anyone else thats been in the news recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio