Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,030 times

Advertisements

Hey guys this is my first post on this site! I've been researching on a move to San Antonio for awhile now. I was trying to decide between somewhere in Charlotte, Cali (Santa Monica or Los Angeles), San Antonio and Dallas since I have friends in those areas. Charlotte, San Antonio & LA have all caught my eye and I've visited numerous times and enjoy each city!

My question for everyone is if you think its a good area for a 27 year old African American single male with no kids. I love to get outside my comfort zone to meet new people, try hobbies, love to eat, stay fit and get out and about. I've done soft research on activities, employment rates, taxes and such since I don't have a house now or family.

Job situation I'm pretty set where I'm at now. I currently work at Verizon Wireless full time sales and am ready for something new. I do some side work with a moving company since I am trying to save up to move in this upcoming 2017 spring. I will most likely transfer the position down there to make things run smoothly, then look for a upgraded position once all stable.

So the big questions would how's the social life for 25-30 young professionals looking for more ? Companies hiring? Is it more of a family or college type of town and any other comments I'd love to hear.. I like the city so far, but going down as a tourist and having fun isn't the same as living there at all lol.

Thanks again in advance for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:59 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
You will miss Wegman's! We do have a better business climate than Rochester and businesses are hiring. Salaries are lower, but then so is the cost of living. If you are open minded, you will do well. When I visited Rochester a couple years ago it made me sad...a once great city whose time had come and gone. San Antonio is an up and coming place and has been for a while. Not all of that is good, but on balance, it is.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
It does seem to have a family vibe, but that's not a bad thing. And it;s growing every day so there are probbaly tons of single people moving there. I think you'll like it. It's live and let live

Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
And it's funny - have several younger black friends who rave about their experiences there in SA. Don't know if it's something they're doing different, or a different level of expectation. They DO say that the women tend to be more conservative, but they seem to like that.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:28 PM

41 posts, read 70,145 times
I have a friend who is African American and moved here last year from Houston. He says that San Antonio seems to be more "open" to other races in general and sees many more interracial couples than in Houston. He says in Houston each race seems to stick with their own kind. He thinks it's because of the military here. Anyway, he has done well here, likes it and plans to stay. He is a professional working at a local college, is single but in his late 40's so not looking at the social scene as much as you probably are.

I moved here 16 years ago (originally from New Mexico but moved here from NYC) and I really like it. I was in my 30's though with a baby so wasn't looking to mingle with singles. However, having said that, I think San Antonio is attracting more single professionals.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM

I happen to be in the Air Force as well as apart of the Air National Guard. That is a huge plus but honestly I'm worried about the future . I do love the spanish influence as I am half black/ half panamanian as well. The culture and vibe of SA have appealed to me during my visits for sure. I just and stuck in deciding between those locations listed in the original post. I'm looking to move in spring so I definitely have time to think but SA definitely has its major appeal.

Anything negative generally speaking I should research about SA before making a decision?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gausebd View Post

Anything negative generally speaking I should research about SA before making a decision?

If you like the different seasons your not going to like it here. It's either very hot, or sorta cold. There really is no in between. We get very little rain, and just about no snow.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Um, neither my spouse nor I are military. I do know a lot of military people, but outside of work, (i.e. in my social environment) they're the minority.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "RGV" - do you mean hispanic? If so, then yes, I'm part hispanic but my husband is not. We're also transplants.

For the OP - the African American population is small, but segregation occurs more by education/SES than race. Not that that's a good thing, it just is. I moved her as a 30-something, single, found my niche and made a home. If you have friends here, that helps. A lot will depend on where you choose to live. If you want to be part of the cultural, active elements of the city, stay close to the urban core - live music, restaurants, museums, fitness activities, and more.
Appreciate it! I am transitioning from the party party scene from when I was 18-24. I still love traveling to have fun but I'm not out each week and am looking to settle down eventually. As stated prior I do have a buddy that lives down there so I literally know one person there. My god brother lives in Dallas so I guess that's somewhat close lol.

I'm open to all races as dating goes and am looking to see what San Antonio has to offer. The best dating scenes so far I've been to would be Toronto and Los Angeles so far imo. San Antonio obviously isn't as huge of a melting pot (I think?) compared to those two locations, but it seems welcoming to all.

As far as the weather, that's why I want to leave Upstate New York. The winters are beyond annoying even though we're used to it, I'm definitely over them. I was interested in Charlotte, NC because it still had some soft seasons like ours but winters to a lesser effect. Texas is a whole different beast and I realized it, but the warm weather is what is attracting me. I'm sure I won't miss winter lol

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Texas Redneck ,and a specific quote,

Redneck, Spursfan, and Chaka and this thread. You cannot , simply put, expect rationality I have noted. It is become like facebook here.
When innanity is the strongest suit of a poster whereby in one instance "take a chill pill" was put forth as a valid explanation for everything. It is of no use to expect substance. Recall the great movie lines from "As Good as it Gets".

The greatest Oscar Winning movie words of all time- were spoken by Jack Nicholson and are applicable this very instance here on this thread. Nicholson was playing the role of a meaningless romance pulp fiction author whom also had obsessive compulsive disorder in the movie "As Good as it Gets."
When Nicholson's character - Norman, in the scene from a publisher's office
entering an elevator............ a medical office receptionist ran up and asked him about his authorship skills which she enjoyed so very much.... as she held her hands to her breast and forehead a question was put to Nicholson. Naively.
"Your work means so much to me!"
His response was a cryptic one liner and perfectedly timed; and from a psychiatric patient no less.

" How do you rate women so well?" The receptionist naively asked of the great Author ?

" I think of a man.... and I take away reason.... and accountability."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
No - I quoted you specifically as you typed.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gausebd View Post
Appreciate it! I am transitioning from the party party scene from when I was 18-24. I still love traveling to have fun but I'm not out each week and am looking to settle down eventually. As stated prior I do have a buddy that lives down there so I literally know one person there. My god brother lives in Dallas so I guess that's somewhat close lol.

I'm open to all races as dating goes and am looking to see what San Antonio has to offer. The best dating scenes so far I've been to would be Toronto and Los Angeles so far imo. San Antonio obviously isn't as huge of a melting pot (I think?) compared to those two locations, but it seems welcoming to all.

As far as the weather, that's why I want to leave Upstate New York. The winters are beyond annoying even though we're used to it, I'm definitely over them. I was interested in Charlotte, NC because it still had some soft seasons like ours but winters to a lesser effect. Texas is a whole different beast and I realized it, but the warm weather is what is attracting me. I'm sure I won't miss winter lol

FWIW, I'm older now, married with kids, we don't go out nearly as much as some of our other married w/kids neighbors, but because we live in the urban core, get to enjoy a lot. When I came here I knew no one, but had a job (I would not come without a job). It took awhile to make friends, and a large effort on my part, but once I did make a friend or two, it spiraled.

It's not Toronto or LA, but as someone from L.A., I'd say it's better in many respects. It's easier to get to know people here, IME. Less focused on money/job/appearances and more on people as individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio