Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 PM

31 posts, read 73,571 times

Advertisements

Theres already an HEB on babcock and huebner lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:35 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephlurry View Post
Theres already an HEB on babcock and huebner lol
If you had read the previous posts, it appears that the topic is not that there is one there already but the store is being moved to another building in the same location.

I haven't checked myself as I rarely find myself out in that area.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Look at Graham Central Station off fred rd. It was once an grocery store.
That location was originally Gulf Mart, and later became K Mart.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM

48 posts, read 87,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you been in that HEB? It is gross, like a lot of other people said. It's like climbing over your fellow shoppers to get to things. It's either renovate it to make it better or relocate it. To keep it inline with the current business model it was probably better to move it across the street. The building may remain empty for a bit but look at what the Albertson's building down the way turned into. It's a huge office building now. It's probably worth more now than it was when it was a grocery store.

While i agree with you to an extent, business is business and if this is your biggest worry in the world then you don't have that hard of a life.

While this location may or may not be bad enough to justify relocation [I have not been there], what about the Marbach & 410 and Military & Zaramora locations? I just don't think some of these places are considering renovation and cleaning hard enough. To build another Academy for example on 410/151 was just unnecessary and selfish; how much space did they really gain and was it worth it?

Only a few of the buildings are so lucky to get demolished or repurposed and even with that its usually some place with a cheap looking banner for a sign. Ditching a building bc you went out of business [Albertsons, Kmart] is more forgiving than bc you want a shiny new floor [Walmart, HEB].

Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db6709 View Post
While this location may or may not be bad enough to justify relocation [I have not been there], what about the Marbach & 410 and Military & Zaramora locations? I just don't think some of these places are considering renovation and cleaning hard enough. To build another Academy for example on 410/151 was just unnecessary and selfish; how much space did they really gain and was it worth it?

Only a few of the buildings are so lucky to get demolished or repurposed and even with that its usually some place with a cheap looking banner for a sign. Ditching a building bc you went out of business [Albertsons, Kmart] is more forgiving than bc you want a shiny new floor [Walmart, HEB].
I can't speak for the Marbach/151 location, but are you talking about the HEB plus at SW Military and Zarzamora? They wouldn't move that (at least now) because it is a great store. It's like a model of perfection. I would drive from Babcock/Huebner to get to the HEB Plus and I know that that HEB Plus isn't in the safest area. I have also mentioned it in another thread that there isn't an HEB Plus in this area. The closet is at Blanco/1604. If HEB wants to expland that brand throughout the city they need to expand it. And the current location across the street won't fit. Also they've done something similiar with the HEB near McCreless Mall?

This sounds like a very similar endeavor. I'm not sure if/what has been done with the building they moved to. It's a completely different area where the building may be left empty. What I was saying was that the Babcock/Huebner area is a relatively nice area. It's spitting distance from the Med Center. I give it 2-2 years before it becomes some type of medical building.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Oh, and then let me just throw out something a tad snotty. Whenever I comment about other people's neighborhoods (like Alamo Ranch, downtown, northeast side, etc) I never say that "it's not in the best interest of the neighborhood...what is the city doing..I hate it when companies do this stuff..." it's not my neighborhood. It doesn't too much affect me. It irks me when people get upset about companies changing things in other people's neighborhoods when they preference things with "Well..I've never been there but this is what I think is in your best interest because this happened on my side of town..." What was best for you might not be best for us.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
We've discussed what was going up on Babcock and Huebner. Some said HEB, some said apartments.

Well, it has an HEB sign.

Implications - stocked with fancy stuff that will go away in awhile.
What about traffic - is Babcock being redone for access?
What about the big box across the street? That's a kind of crappy shopping center - level it? Or what?

We will see.
Which corner are you referring to? I used to live in that area, but never pass by there anymore. That HEB was a horrible experience. I'm glad that they are finally doing something about it.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Which corner are you referring to? I used to live in that area, but never pass by there anymore. That HEB was a horrible experience. I'm glad that they are finally doing something about it.
It's really not on a corner. More like across the street from those loft apartments.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 AM

99 posts, read 346,035 times
Well they definitely need a bigger and better HEB in that area. That HEB is super tiny and I'd frequently find bugs in the deli coolers. Pretty gross. I live on Bandera now and use the other tiny HEB but it doesn't seem as crowded/dirty as the Babcock/Huebner store.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
The Bandera and 1604 store isn't too bad. Are you talking about the one near the library?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio