Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabart47 View Post
I think the term "midwest" is relative... I'm from the Ozarks, which is still the "midwest" but looks nothing like the "midwest" my cousin lives in, central Illinois
Southern and Northern Missouri are completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM

177 posts, read 358,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Very true!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 AM

624 posts, read 908,253 times
I have had relatives and friends visit SA and one of the first things they comment on is how green it is, especially after recent rains in the summer time. The other thing is "you guys have trees" we were in an office building with glass walled elevators on NE Loop near Harry Wurzbach and once you get high enough it over looks the older neighborhoods inside the Loop which is a forest of trees. I guess they expected tumble weeds blowing across the freeway. The other thing some have commented on is the lack of fall color. It depends on what you plant, I have a Sweetgum tree that turns bright yellow, a Red Oak and Crape Myrtles that turn red and orange. I've got fall colors in my backyard, not everything turns from green to brown. Does it compare to the northeast of course not.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM

123 posts, read 288,443 times
i live down between 410 and 1604 in the area where I35 comes through.

hundred acres here i live on the medina river. huge oaks down in the river bottom, lush and green with the medina chuckling through. about 50 acres open cow and horse pasture, pretty flat outside the river bottom.

have a 600+ acre farm across the road, they plant and grow there pretty much year round. it looks like lettuce and cabbages and a couple of other plants i cant see well from the road right now. they do two crops of corn a year on the same ground and i dont know what all else they grow.

its waaaaaaaay laid back out here, slow country living, but only 14 miles from downtown.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,118,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Scrub grass/bushes,wasteland, Mesquite trees and small Oak trees thrown in for good measure. It's not very nice, IMO.

I think the California smog has impaired your vision!

http://i39.tinypic.com/m7uwrq.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/54o5j.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/70l3bs.jpg

Bandera county.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,885,264 times
fcf has accurately described South Texas and it still has its own charm. Lost Maples is not really part of San Antonio. It's fall foliage is better than SA's but nothing like up north. We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Southern and northern San Antonio are also completely different. Or maybe it is SE and NW San Antonio which are, either way, completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I've got fall colors in my backyard, not everything turns from green to brown. Does it compare to the northeast of course not.
Which is the main point. A tree here or there does not make for the spectacular changes of color. I still enjoy seeing it rain leaves, whatever color they are, and when a stronger when comes they begin to dance on the ground. If that is the only magic of fall allowed to us so be it.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,118,794 times
FCF is incorrect to say San Antonio overall terrain is as such. San Antonio sits in four different terrains, it looks different depending on what side of the metro you are in. Los Maples is in the San Antonio metropolitan area! All these pics reflect nothing like how he describes it.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,885,264 times
Very well. That first picture though, hate to think about how much water was spent from the local supply to keep it green, or am I wrong again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio sits in four different terrains, it looks different depending on what side of the metro you are in.
Also are those pictures representative of all four?

It just is kind of tiring to see people make SA out to be more than it actually is. If fcf focuses on one area, and others focus on another area, well that is not even half the balance being covered. Balance is important, I think.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-26-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 02:22 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,857,641 times
Actually, those pics are pretty representative. Where you see a dearth of trees is from the land-rapin' done by home developers in their eagerness to get every last square inch of lot size possible. If a large old oak is in the way, they drop it rather than making the lot size/layout accomodate it.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:25 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,055,894 times
So true! My pet peeve is the pillaging of the trees. In retort, I am starting a small program of raising oak trees from acorn to seedling to full blown trees and giving them away. Just started this 2 months ago. Starting out very small, with about 20 trees in seedling stage. I hope to grow this into something worthwhile over the years. More details forthcoming...

CPS has the tree rebate going, but if I can get this hobby off the ground and give the trees away I can at least give something back to this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio