Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 AM

52 posts, read 152,911 times

Advertisements

Having lived in San Antonio since August(for college,) I must say that I actually enjoy this town. There is a lot to do in this part of town, including excellent shopping and lots of places close by.

Only dislike: Town is a lot dirtier than Austin. The restaurants are not nearly as clean and taken care of. Also, it seems that a lot of people here don't know what deodorant is! I'm talking about at Northstar Mall lol. I've been several times and I always smell body odor. It is sickening.

But I can say this:

In the UTSA area at least, the population is extremely diverse. I see lots of people of all races and I have never experienced racism(as an Anglo) nor have I even heard people say racial slurs. It seems to be a very tolerant part of town and the diversity is amazing.

Drivers are slow, so you would think they would be overcautious. But, don't be deceived. I see so many people running red lights and managing to almost get in a wreck. The drivers suck but you get used to it easily. Traffic is ridiculous but I'm used to that(Austin has lots of traffic too.)

UTSA is amazing. Very diverse, great professors, nice facility. I also have met many great friends and there seems to be a lot to do. But, I have several friends who have moved back to Austin because they don't like it. But everyone is different and it is all what you make of it. I didn't enjoy it at first but I started to meet friends with similarities and now I love it. Just some advice to people who may be coming on here who are considering UTSA but wondering about the campus life.

Lots of food options, shopping, and things to do. Definitely a "downer town" (more chilled, laid back.) I actually like it though. It seems that most people enjoy living a simple life, and I like that. It also seems to be a very caring town. The people are friendly and are not afraid to talk to strangers lol.

Other thoughts? Police presence is too high at UTSA and in this area. Restaurant/retail workers are friendlier here than in other cities. Great radio stations. Obsession for the Spurs was at first annoying but now I see it as a way of unifying the town. (Like UT does for Austin.) I love it!

Though Austin will always be my home and I plan to move back, I still love San Antonio.... And I never thought I would enjoy another city in Texas besides Austin. I wouldn't mind living here for good if my career plans perhaps locate me here.

Allergies are worse here than in Austin..... Never thought that would be the case! Be prepared! Weather-wise.... It seems windier here and cooler in the shade, but weather is almost identical to Austin.

Anyways, just my personal observations of San Antonio! Just thought I would share because last year I was looking for posts like this when applying to Universities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 AM

52 posts, read 152,911 times
OH, and another personal thought.... The bees here attack anything, and the flies are huge. There are a ton of bees at UTSA during the fall and I got attacked at least twice. I know this sounds weird, but honestly other Austinites have mentioned this to me as well lol. Random but true!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,297 times
Interesting.......

Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I would have to disagree on the radio stations thing. On my trips to Austin, I heard alternative music being played there that I would never hear in San Antonio. Amy Winehouse and Adele are pretty well-known Grammy award winning artists and I can't find a station here that plays artists like them. I can't even find a station that plays real r&b and soul like Maxwell. I get sick of listening to Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Lil' Wayne, Trey Songz, and Pitbull. KISS has a ridiculously short playlist of new music. I think they're playing less than 10 songs released in 2010. Maybe that's an exaggeration; they're probably playing 20 songs from 2010.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
glad you like it here.

I know what you mean about the bees. This fall they were awful period. The suckers are massive too. Not sure why that is though.

Police at UTSA...should make you feel safer in this day and age that's a good thing.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM

177 posts, read 358,050 times
You ARE right about the bees... this past summer/fall they were "crazy"... sent me to the ER once with a reaction to a sting! Wasps, too!! Couldn't get rid of them. Don't remember that the other three years we have lived here.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
shopping
Yeah La Cantera is pretty solid so far as having a lot of pretty good options in one place. And downtown type malls (I'm talking other cities here, relax people) don't count because you have to find and pay for parking just so you can walk around and check things out.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Okay I never noticed the bees, but the freaking wasps and yellow jackets were insane. I hardly went outside last summer. I hope that is not a regular occurrence...because I absolutely positively cannot handle wasps like that. They would just blow past me in the backyard, and/or hover around as I was getting the kids in the car. I nearly soiled my armor.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 AM

291 posts, read 608,087 times
our bees don't mess around!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 AM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
If you like classic rock, try Rev 94.3 out of Kerrville. You might have to stream it unless you have exceptional reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio