Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember if there was any kind of special "heavy promoting" going on during the 1979 Fiesta celebration.

It's the first one I remember. I wonder if schools were even given the day off on Friday before that year. But at my school there were tons of things devoted to Fiesta, which I really don't remember before or after that.

I can remember attending something in the evening at North Star Mall and seeing lots of my friends there too, with their families.

It was also the year of the sniper who fired gunshots at parade spectators at the Battle of Flowers Parade in the Broadway area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It was also the year of the sniper who fired gunshots at parade spectators at the Battle of Flowers Parade in the Broadway area.
Yeah, I only remember that because I have a copy saved on one of my DVD masters of a 1999 news report that KSAT 12 reporter Angela Vierville did when she looked back 20 years earlier showing footage of when she was caught in the crossfire and the sniper attacks while reporting on it on live TV in 1979.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
As far a schools being given the day off for Battle of Flowers prior to 1979, that is a definite yes. Even some local businesses were given that Friday off. If not the entire day, at least the afternoon.

As far as closures for Battle of Flowers these days, I think they are mostly Schools, City/County offices, and some downtown businesses.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM

345 posts, read 1,567,303 times
I graduated in 1979. I know there was definitely a day off in April many years prior to that for the Battle of Flowers. My next door neighbor's father owned a filling station that backed up to the parade route. She'd load me and her two children in a pick up each year with ice chests and folding chairs and we'd watch the parade from the gas station. The 1979 parade was quite horrifying. I graduated from Marshall and that year our band was marching in the parade. The sniper attack took place not far from where they were in formation.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM

469 posts, read 1,156,144 times
I was 4 and my mom and I were right there where the shots were fired. I don't remember any of it.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,031 times
Fiesta Friday 1979 - I was at Windsor Park Mall (in its hey-day)...The mall was literally empty, every person was packed around any stores that had TVs on..watching the action unfold live. I remember watching it at JC Penny.

I think that was the one time Gary DeLong ever acted serious...he was right there ducking while he was reporting "shots fired" live on TV. He looked like a reporter in Vietnam

San Antonio's day of infamy.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,163 times
Yep--always a school holiday. I was shopping with my mother. Several neighbors were at the parade. We got home and turned it on expecting floats and got the horrible footage instead. Turns out my next door neighbors (mom and 4 kids elementary and younger) were in the line of fire. They heard the shot, saw the policeman fall, and scrambled. If I remember correctly mom, baby and toddler ended up under a car and the "older" girls in a Fox Foto booth nearby. I'm thankful I didn't go with them but it made an impression regardless. Needless to say, my kids have missed all the Fiesta Parades...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM

16 posts, read 48,531 times
I was born in 79 so obviously wasn't there, but have heard of it. Does anyone know why the guy did it? I was in band in high school and marched in the parades, those were fun times but oddly enough We've yet to take our kids to a parade.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,619,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember if there was any kind of special "heavy promoting" going on during the 1979 Fiesta celebration.

It's the first one I remember. I wonder if schools were even given the day off on Friday before that year. But at my school there were tons of things devoted to Fiesta, which I really don't remember before or after that.

I can remember attending something in the evening at North Star Mall and seeing lots of my friends there too, with their families.

Maybe it's the first one you remember because the shooting made a bigger impression on you than just another parade? You know what I mean?

Much as I love Fiesta, and much as I LOVE parades (I am a sucker for a parade, no matter how big or small), I always lift up a quick prayer that something like this never occurs again.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 PM

334 posts, read 915,865 times
I read the line "1979 Fiesta" and thought of this (http://theimages.co.cc/1979-ford-fiesta.html - broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio