Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM

17 posts, read 66,127 times

Advertisements

We are moving soon, and we are looking for a nice, quiet neighborhood that is safe (three kids) close to Fort Sam. We looked in Hollywood Park and Castle Hills. We would like something a little closer to Fort Sam if that's possible. The rentals in Castle Hills area seem to be really run down? Mapquest says about a 20 min drive to Fort Sam, what about during rush hours??

Also, my two youngest sons will be attending PK & K. We are looking for a private nondemonational Christian school close to Fort Sam. We looked online at Castle Hills First Baptist School, any info? or another recommended school?

THANK YOU!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,563 times
The closest residential areas to Fort Sam that you might be interested in from a community standpoint would be Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, Monte Vista, Mahncke Park, Terrell Heights, and Northwood. These are older, established residential areas, some more affluent than others. Most houses range between 50-100 years old and all of these areas are child & family friendly. I would also suggest you check out The Circle School on Pershing Avenue for PK through age 9. Everyone I've ever known who sent their kids there RAVES about it - plus it's less than 10 blocks from the Ft. Sam gate! The Circle School: Family Cooperative School in San Antonio, TX.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,551 times
Oakwell Farms is close by, too. It's a very nice, gated community.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,921 times
Castle Hills is not really run down... maybe a few streets that are lack luster here and there but overall it is a pretty decent neighborhood that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It is centrally located too and not alot of traffic congestion. Bel Meade is a very nice neighborhood also in the very sought after 78209 zip code area and is next door to Ft Sam Houston. I would try there first, then Northwood and definitely keep Castle Hills on your list. Big ranch style homes with large lots in a good area of town. The price is right too. I think you would probably like Bel Meade and Northwood better though.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Castle Hills is not really run down... maybe a few streets that are lack luster here and there but overall it is a pretty decent neighborhood that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It is centrally located too and not alot of traffic congestion. Bel Meade is a very nice neighborhood also in the very sought after 78209 zip code area and is next door to Ft Sam Houston. I would try there first, then Northwood and definitely keep Castle Hills on your list. Big ranch style homes with large lots in a good area of town. The price is right too. I think you would probably like Bel Meade and Northwood better though.
To clarify, Itwins said the rentals (she/he had seen) looked run down, not the neighborhood.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 PM

12 posts, read 62,250 times
Bel Meade really is a sweet neighborhood, right smack dab across from Fort Sam. Big Lots, worth investing into. Terrell Hills is great, also, if you go down Broadway to Army st. and Post st. they both dead end up against Ft. Sam. We saw some amazing properties there that we had never noticed before. There are many schools, but not too many non denominational, at least not in the area. Next time you eat at Jims, grab a San Antonio Kids ciecular mag. off the racks near the front entrance. they always have advertisements for every single school in town. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio