Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy223 View Post
because san antonio is already one of the poorest cities in the USA and those rich people are separating themselves from the rest of the pack more and more each day.
im not rich but im satisfied. no hate on those who have more scrilla. just wish they could have an opened mind like you just asked the poor folks to have in a previous post.
i could care less if youre poor or rich. the point i was making was, the well-to-do find it awkward to socialize with those that are far below the financial means that they are. both have different ideas on what 'fun' is, and usually the less-to-do's cant afford the stuff i like to go do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Money doesn't buy you class or happiness.

I just can't see myself turning my nose up at my current friends if I ever got rich. To each his own , I suppose.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you do realize that when your friend(s) are suddenly 'rolling in the dough', that their standards WILL go up and its awkward to socialize with friends who are far below the means that you are?

i mean would you want to hang around your rich friend who wants for nothing, while you want for just the basics (just giving an example)?

whats with all the 'i hate rich people' crap lately. they made their way in life, so just deal with it and stop with the jealousy/hatred comments already.
I was just pointing out to the person I was responding to with that post that people with less means are not necessarily less shallow. I don't know where you got that I hate rich people out of that comment, because I don't.

There are rich shallow people, and rich non-shallow people. It's just that between rich shallow people and poor shallow people, the rich shallow people have more opportunity to display it because they have the means.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Let me give my credentials that I grew up in 78209, spent eighteen years of my life there. My family has been there since the early 70's. We were on the San Antonio/ Northwood side of the zip code though. I had lots of friends that went to AH, we went to church in AH, had a membership to the AH pool, I played little league for AH.

With that out of the way, let me tell you that your friend and her friends sound like nouvaue riche trash. Most people in Alamo Heights don't bring up where your from unless you make it a point. Places outside 1604 are pretty far off the radar screen for most people from AH, heck I had to look up where westover hills and alamo ranch was when it started being mentioned here on the forum. But, if you think about it why would anyone in AH need to know where those places are?

People in Alamo Heights most certainly drive, but they do bike ride. There is a reason why bike world has been on broadway for years. I know several parent's of my friends that do the thursday night ride that goes downtown. We most certainly have cars and use them though.

Sorry that you got such an unfair representation of the area from your friend. That's not the AH I know. BTW not every one in Alamo Heights shops at Central Market, we also shop at Oak Park, Austin Highway and Lincoln Heights.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
I had my own AH experience the other day too. While, as per usual, waiting for a spray tan at the AH Palm Beach Tan, I couldn't help but overhear the various housewives who file in and out of the store. It's amusing to me that they all take their little slice of San Antonio so darned serious, like as if AH is the controlling fate of the entire city. It's just all so self-important... And silly. When they're faced with something they don't know or don't care about, it's such a sudden, smug about-face reaction. In some ways, I really feel sorry for these kinds of people. They are those who are content being 'big' fish in small ponds, knowing full well that even moving to a city like Dallas would trump their whole existence as 'socialites' in the Alamo City.

Granted, this is not ALL of AH, just a small contingent. Don't think I'm making any sort of blanket statement. I experienced just as much of this bad behavior when I lived in Stone Oak.

BN

Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
if you dont like our neighborhood, dont come back. you are one of the VERY few who do not like alamo heights.

personally i love it. its an awesome place, ive yet to be hassled by the local PD despite being a lovely shade of mocha brown, the people are nice, central market (need to go there now that i think about it) is awesome and has tons of great foods... the only crap part right now is the construction.
Wow, did I bring up race at all? Did I bring up the police department? No way. Let's keep that out of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post

With that out of the way, let me tell you that your friend and her friends sound like nouvaue riche trash. Most people in Alamo Heights don't bring up where your from unless you make it a point. Places outside 1604 are pretty far off the radar screen for most people from AH, heck I had to look up where westover hills and alamo ranch was when it started being mentioned here on the forum. But, if you think about it why would anyone in AH need to know where those places are?
I think this is part of it. The friend that i went to see isn't even noveaue riche. She's living off of a part time job and tuition checks. If she was making bank I would give her somewhat of a pass, but she has no money!

I just think knowing geography is part of being a well rounded person The area comes off as being part "with in" and cultured and some people don't even know where Cheddars is. Come on.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
She's living off of a part time job and tuition checks. If she was making bank I would give her somewhat of a pass, but she has no money!
She's a 30K millionaire if that. Uptown Dallas is full of them, young 20 somethings leasing a base 328i BMW and eating at trendy restaurants while charging everything to Visa or AMEX. The house of cards will one day come tumbling down.

Onto the geography part, I understand vaguely where those places are, but cheddars are not exactly on my radar screen. I don't know many people that will drive across town, for mediocre chain food, we have plenty of those kinds of places scattered across the city.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

330 posts, read 1,373,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
While, as per usual, waiting for a spray tan at the AH Palm Beach Tan, I
Trying ... hard ... I am...... to not stray ... off topic ..........

Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I just think knowing geography is part of being a well rounded person The area comes off as being part "with in" and cultured and some people don't even know where Cheddars is. Come on.
Why would anyone need to know where Cheddars is? Is it central to SA's history and culture?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
I'm sorry you have an obnoxious friend. I don't think she represents all the inner loop anymore than anyone here represents all the outer loop.

I have friends downtown, outside 410 and outside 1604. We had a party recently with about 1/2 inner loopers half outside 1604 with a few in between. Every one seemed to get along just fine and enjoyed each other's company.

I would be very happy if I never got into my car, that's why I live in a walkable area.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-29-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio