Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 AM

418 posts, read 784,657 times

Advertisements

Schertz Bank
"Flying Free" Account
No fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_ View Post
Hey guys at the moment I'm in the middle of all that turmoil where my bank (Bank of America) will begin to charge me 5 bucks a month just to use a piece of plastic aka my debit card.
find ANY credit union that you qualify to join, and join it!

personally do all my banking with SACU and love it.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I was listening to a news report the other day, where it was suggested bank customers thinking of jumping ship over upcoming debit card fees might want to hold off for a while, until the dust settles. It was stated that some of the financial institutions are taking a "wait and see" approach, and may follow Bank of America's lead.
For the too-big-too-fail banks, possibly yes. However, for the credit unions, we should be safe.

I already have Security Service Federal Credit Union and I'm sticking with them for my banking needs "if" Bank of America continues forth with their debit card fee plan (which is almost certain since the CEO in an very recent interview he did with CBS News, alluded to the fact that the debit card fee plan will continue forth).

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Folks... Nothing is free anymore. No free lunch. Why in the world are people making such a big deal about this $5/month fee? BN
It's not that $5 is too much for me since my expenses to income ratio is favorably as a single person (for me). I'm very careful with the little money I make; I'm a penny-pincher extraordinaire. I can afford to pay $5 extra.

There are; however, many people who have a bank account who can't afford to pay the $5 debit card fee a month, PLUS the monthly $12.00 extra Bank of America will now start charging on ALL accounts (including previously opened "free" accounts, which should have been grandfathered in) for those who have no direct deposit or a balance above $1,500. The only thing keeping me from being charged $12.00 extra a month is my $3,200 balance in my checking account which meets the required $1,500 balance to avoid the monthly $12.00 fee. I also setup direct deposit a month ago for my new job (before the debit card fee plan was announced).

However, there are millions and millions of working poor in this country who work jobs which don't offer direct deposit for their menial jobs and a great majority of them will NOT have $1,500 to throw in a bank at will. That's their reality.

For me, personally, it's the principle of it.

Record profits have been had by the big banks, all the while screwing homeowners with their mortgages, rising credit card fees and interest rates and the like.

Secondly, and most importantly, when there are other alternatives that don't gauge you, then all the more better. I'm jumping ship with Bank of America come debit card fee time.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 107,335 times
rbfcu all the way, now instead of getting paid 10 cents everytime i use my debit card they raised it to 15 cents..its pretty awesome. ive been there going on 7 yrs..

Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM

314 posts, read 832,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I was listening to a news report the other day, where it was suggested bank customers thinking of jumping ship over upcoming debit card fees might want to hold off for a while, until the dust settles. It was stated that some of the financial institutions are taking a "wait and see" approach, and may follow Bank of America's lead. Customers might pull their money out of one bank and put it in another, only to have their new bank implement fees months later.

The debit card fees could become something like the airlines checked-baggage fees. As has been stated in some of the previous posts, credit unions are probably less likely to hit you with fees.
But if to many people take a wait and see approach then the others WILL follow!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Frost told me that they weren't.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,954 times
I find it interesting the level of rage directed towards Bank of America for this. We will see if the other banks can hold off on the fees, now that the government has regulated a profit center out of the banking business.

Companies raise prices indiscriminately all the time. Usually people respond quietly by either taking the increase or moving their business elsewhere. Both seem like reasonable outcomes here. I remember back in the day when I suffered with Time Warner Cable, it seemed like they would raise their prices $5/month every month. I don't rememeber seeing the same panic in the streets!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I find it interesting the level of rage directed towards Bank of America for this. We will see if the other banks can hold off on the fees, now that the government has regulated a profit center out of the banking business.

Companies raise prices indiscriminately all the time. Usually people respond quietly by either taking the increase or moving their business elsewhere. Both seem like reasonable outcomes here. I remember back in the day when I suffered with Time Warner Cable, it seemed like they would raise their prices $5/month every month. I don't rememeber seeing the same panic in the streets!
first, it was giving credit cards to illegal aliens with no social security number.

now, its dinging you just to use your atm/debit card...

if youre fine with paying fees to access your monies, more power to ya.

im not.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I use Capaial One. It has no fee checking and no fee debit card. There is also no fee for foreign transactions. It seems they are people oriented. Whenever I walk into the branch one or two always call me by name immmediatly. It really feels good to be known. And I am by far, not the biggest richest person walking into the branch.
Just offering another alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio