Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM

65 posts, read 181,148 times

Advertisements

I feel as though my current employer (contractor for the Govt) is getting away with not paying me the minimum for my job title according to the Dept of Labor tables. My job title is wrongly classified and I need help fighting the contractor about it. Also I need clarification on fringe benefits and other issues like that.

I am looking for a lawyer that has experience or knowledge in the subject matter. Thanks.

I have tried the DOL but they either 1)will not answer the phone/call me back, 2)clueless and just regergitate what the pay tables say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,021,001 times
Let me google that for you

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM

65 posts, read 181,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Let me reply to your smartass answer: I'm looking for personal recommendations and discussion, which is why I posted on a forum. You could troll half the threads here with a lmgtfy reply. If you don't have anything useful on the subject, please stay out of it, thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM

431 posts, read 767,357 times
Robert F. White
Attorney & Counselor
LAW OFFICES OF STEPHEN F. WHITE, P.C.
202 E. Locust Street
San Antonio, Texas 78212
Telephone: (210) 340-9988
Facsimile: (210) 826-9988
rwhite@stephenwhiteattorney.com

he's doing some labor work for me right now. well i'm the employer but still.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,021,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMan View Post
Let me reply to your smartass answer: I'm looking for personal recommendations and discussion, which is why I posted on a forum. You could troll half the threads here with a lmgtfy reply. If you don't have anything useful on the subject, please stay out of it, thanks.
Tell ya what, be a bit more specific in your post as to what you have already researched, and maybe you won't get such replies!

By the way, also keep in mind that Texas is an 'at will' employment state, which means your employer can release you without any reason or explanation. You may think that you're under-compensated for what you do, but obviously your employer thinks differently.

Also, you failed to explain what efforts you have made to resolve this with your employer. Plus, why did you accept the position when all this would have been clearly spelled out to you when you were hired?

Lastly, as a government contractor as well, I can tell you that with the cutbacks and drawdowns I would be hesitant to raise too much of a stink over how much you think you're worth. Contracts are being reduced, cancelled or not-renewed left and right, and trying to squeeze a few more dollars of what could be an already tight profit margin (you have to factor in overhead in addition to the labor costs) might not be the smartest move.

But it's your decision, but I would hate to see your next thread being one of trying to find employment. If you're unhappy with your current situation, find a better one; but challenging your employer over what you think you should be paid--especially for a contractor where all this was presented when you gained employment--may have disastrous consequences for you!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM

391 posts, read 689,094 times
I have no recommendation for legal services.

But, be aware that once your employer catches wind that you have gone
the legal route the relationship with them may change significantly.

Most employees feel they are underpaid. The truth in what they should be
paid depends on the duties they are asked to perform, what each employee
brings to the table in terms of those duties and how well they perform.

There are still plenty of folks out there looking for work now and employers
are well aware of this. HR filing cabinets are no doubt stuffed full of resumes
from replacements waiting in the wings who are currently earning zero and
would be real happy with a steady salary... even if underpaid.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

33 posts, read 61,156 times
I assume you have read about the Davis-Bacon Act which may be of some help. You can read more about it in the FAR 22-404. Which Government contractors should be abiding by, although I guess they are getting around it by having you work in a job other than what your job is classified as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio