Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM

201 posts, read 279,715 times

Advertisements

I have a friend whose father lives kind of in the South Town area, near King Williams, but farther south where the houses are considerably less expensive.

His dad told him that some sort of city inspectors came to his neighbor's house and gave them a big deal about growing corn in the city limits. I inquired further but the extent of the information I got was minimal. So I have no idea how the city inspectors knew about it or if it was growing in the front yard, back yard, etc.

I've tried to conduct internet research on this and I haven't found anything. Has anybody heard anything similar to this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:05 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,585 times
Well crap im growing corn in my garden...Should i be worried.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
From my understanding, city codes prohibit "urban farming".

Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
From my understanding, city codes prohibit "urban farming".
Corn is "Urban Farming"? I guess the head high weeds in the nearby city park are not?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Corn is "Urban Farming"? I guess the head high weeds in the nearby city park are not?
I wouldn't think just a few rows of corn is "urban farming" but then again I haven't seen the yard that the OP is talking about.

I may even be wrong about the city code prohibiting "urban farming", hopefully someone can chime in and clarify.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
Urban Farming is not the correct term, (I know all you fan boys love using that word)

There is no commerical farming in a residential area. And there is a 12 inch height restriction on UNCULTIVATED vegetation.

Other than that I couldnt find any restrictions.

City Municipal Code Search on the San Antonio Community Portal

Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Urban Farming is not the correct term, (I know all you fan boys love using that word)

There is no commerical farming in a residential area. And there is a 12 inch height restriction on UNCULTIVATED vegetation.

Not the correct term based on what? So what is the correct term for farming in urban areas?

If you grow crop inside the city and sell it, then it can be considered commerical, but I am sure it is rarely looked upon as that way.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
Are you trying to get in the tortilla business? We dont need more tortillas

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

201 posts, read 279,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post

I bet this is what happened. I'll do my best to try to get more specific information.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
I have a friend whose father lives kind of in the South Town area, near King Williams, but farther south where the houses are considerably less expensive.

His dad told him that some sort of city inspectors came to his neighbor's house and gave them a big deal about growing corn in the city limits. I inquired further but the extent of the information I got was minimal. So I have no idea how the city inspectors knew about it or if it was growing in the front yard, back yard, etc.

I've tried to conduct internet research on this and I haven't found anything. Has anybody heard anything similar to this? Thanks.
If the city inspectors told him it was in violation of a city code, then they should have provided him with the specific ordinance.

I believe the correct term is "urban agriculture" and if it's listed anywhere, it would be in the zoning laws. First place I'd check with would be the city's Developmental Services Department, the code's not available online that I could find but they should be able to answer any questions he might have.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio