Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 08:41 PM

392 posts, read 278,637 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what year the observation deck of the Tower Life Building in San Antonio was closed to the public, because I have not been able to find this online? Also, does anyone know what floor the observation deck was located on and if there are any pictures of the observation deck, including when it was open to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 12:36 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
I've been surprised how very little there is online regarding this beautiful iconic building. I would love to tour it someday in person. Unlike other buildings, its hard to just walk in and go up the elevator as its pretty well guarded.

I found this Youtube video by this elevator geek a while back, it's nice to see what it looks like from the inside. If they had virtual office like "We Work" or "Regus", I would rent a temporary work space in a heart beat just to have access to the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjBFp9uesk

Old 03-14-2021, 12:25 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post

Does anyone know what year the observation deck of the Tower Life Building in San Antonio was closed

to the public, because I have not been able to find this online? Also, does anyone know what floor the observation deck was located on and if there are any pictures of the observation deck, including when it was open to the public?
I believe It was closed on 09/11 or 9/12 2001

Old 03-14-2021, 10:07 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I've been surprised how very little there is online regarding this beautiful iconic building. I would love to tour it someday in person. Unlike other buildings, its hard to just walk in and go up the elevator as its pretty well guarded.

I found this Youtube video by this elevator geek a while back, it's nice to see what it looks like from the inside. If they had virtual office like "We Work" or "Regus", I would rent a temporary work space in a heart beat just to have access to the building.
Very interesting! I watched several more of his videos. I wonder if he ever made it to the Nix. I was lucky to be able to explore the Nix shortly before the pandemic shutdown. My dermatologist had the last medical office in the building, so after my final visit I spent hours cruising around. The original parts are beautiful (including the elevators!) and the exterior ornamentation is amazing. I wonder what they're doing with it now. Anybody know? The most recent news I find on Google is from more than a year ago.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
How do you know it was shut down by the attacks on 9/11?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:43 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Very interesting! I watched several more of his videos. I wonder if he ever made it to the Nix. I was lucky to be able to explore the Nix shortly before the pandemic shutdown. My dermatologist had the last medical office in the building, so after my final visit I spent hours cruising around. The original parts are beautiful (including the elevators!) and the exterior ornamentation is amazing. I wonder what they're doing with it now. Anybody know? The most recent news I find on Google is from more than a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHIAoI1VlY

Same guy different channel at the Nix Building in 2021, except he doesn't leave the elevator much in this video. But several of the floors look occupied still.

The Drury Plaza Hotel is another interesting older building with a rooftop pool/hot tub and even still has the old bank vault in the basement.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Same guy different channel at the Nix Building in 2021, except he doesn't leave the elevator much in this video. But several of the floors look occupied still.
I had the exact same experience with the elevators as he did. They would stop at random floors unrelated to the buttons I'd pushed, and a lot of buttons were disabled. Finally I figured out that if I went to one of the upper floors - maybe 18? - and walked around a corner, there was a separate elevator bank that served just the hospital, which went from that floor up to the roof.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
I was told by a security guard in the lobby in 2014 that the observation deck was closed since the attacks on 9/11.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:22 AM

501 posts, read 776,322 times
Per link below, looks like the 29th floor (occupied, where the camera peeked out long enough for me to read Goldstein over the door) is still the Gerry Goldstein law firm. Was looking for interior office views in video, none to be found.
https://www.goldsteinhilley.com/

Old 02-16-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Per link below, looks like the 29th floor (occupied, where the camera peeked out long enough for me to read Goldstein over the door) is still the Gerry Goldstein law firm. Was looking for interior office views in video, none to be found.
https://www.goldsteinhilley.com/
I have found a guide book that says there were observation decks on the 7th, 22nd, 27th, and 30th floors of the Tower Life Building. Also a book saying that the observation deck closed in about 1968 after the Tower of the Americas closed.
https://books.google.com/books/about...20deck&f=false
https://books.google.com/books/about...20deck&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: