Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 PM

43 posts, read 70,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I lived in San Antonio for almost 30 years since I was a baby. These are just my opinions with some backed up by facts. Some of these facts are positives for people.

<snip>

Negatives:
San Antonio is the most economically segregated city in the country
I've lived in Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Austin, New York, and San Antonio. SA was among the least economically segregated of those. The big East Coast and West Coast cities are very economically (and often racially) segregated.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
[Mod cut: we are not discussing DC here. Off topic.]

As for comparing it with San Antonio, it's completely different on several layers. For one, our weather is definitely hotter and dryer. Secondly, while things are somewhat congested here, they are nowhere near as bad as the Beltway. Thirdly, you will be amazed at how inexpensive it is to live here!

There is a lot to see and do in San Antonio and the surrounding area, but you do have to make an effort to get out and about! The Hill Country is one of my favorite places in the world (it is the main reason we live here), there is a lot of culture in SA although it is not as diverse as DC (mainly because this used to be part of Mexico, but we do have German and Czech settlers here amongst others). It is very conservative/old school here (so somewhat like Hank Hill) but also very friendly (except on our roads, where nice people turn into idiots for some reason). Our schools are pretty good and our taxes are a lot better than what you are used to. All in all, once you get adapted to the heat it's a really nice place to live!

Hope that helps, and if you do move here, welcome!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2014 at 02:43 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM

424 posts, read 609,633 times
All four major Texas metros were in the top 10 for economically segregated cities in the country.

This seems to be a Texas thing, not just a San Antonio thing.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328 View Post
I've lived in Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Austin, New York, and San Antonio. SA was among the least economically segregated of those. The big East Coast and West Coast cities are very economically (and often racially) segregated.
You can tell me what you thought you saw with your own eyes, but I'm more likely to believe a systematic analysis. Different people will tell you different things. You also couldn't have lived in all of those cities at once to do a comparison during the same time periods.
The U.S. Cities With the Highest Levels of Income Segregation - CityLab

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
lol at most of this.
Do you have any refutations? I knew you would have something to say, but not anything of substance. You might not think that child abuse deaths, drunk driving fatalities, and the dumping of animals are negatives, but I do.

Quote:
All four major Texas metros were in the top 10 for economically segregated cities in the country.

This seems to be a Texas thing, not just a San Antonio thing.
Yet, that doesn't disprove what I said.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Measured in victims per 1,000 children, Bexar County's rate of 12.1 was higher than all other major urban centers in Texas.
Child abuse remains high in Bexar County even as deaths declined - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
Bexar County statistics also show that alcohol-related driving fatalities have tripled in 2013.

"Quite honestly, per capita, we are the most dangerous city in Texas,” said Mothers Against Drunk Driving South Texas Director Jennifer Northway, in regards to drinking and driving injuries.
New statistics show drunken driving fatalities increase in Texas[/quote]

This information is a few years old being from 2011. While I know we have been euthanizing less animals, I doubt the stray problem has gotten much better with ACS' policy of only picking up aggressive animals.
Quote:
Here’s the problem and it’s huge: We provide 50,000 sterilizations annually in our community — more than any other Texas city – and yet we still have an estimated 153,000 strays on our city streets, according to ACS.
153,000 stray pets on San Antonio Streets - Animals Matter

If you think those numbers are normal for a large city...
Quote:
Last year, San Antonio euthanized approximately 49,000 cats and dogs—more per capita than any other big city in the United States.
Inhumane Society | Texas Monthly

We've seen a lot of improvement with teen pregnancies, but we're still higher than the national average.
Quote:
But the celebration came with a caveat: The local teen pregnancy rate still is 46 percent higher than the rest of the nation, and much remains to be done.
Local teen pregnancy rate falls, but above U.S. average - San Antonio Express-News

Our city and metro didn't rank in the top 25 for racial/ethnic diversity, but at least we didn't rank in the bottom 25. I would still like to know our ranking.
http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

We were ranked one of the hottest cities in the U.S. Of course, that is something that is common in Texas. Some might see that as a positive while others will see it as a negative.
6. San Antonio, TXHeat index: 92.1 Photo-2484518.66020 - San Antonio Express-News

Educational attainment.
Quote:
San Antonio's degree attainment ranking stayed steady — and near the bottom — again landing at No. 24 of the 25 most populous metropolitan areas in the continental United States.
Texas drops in college attainment rankings - San Antonio Express-News

Last edited by L210; 10-17-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
No, but:

"I can't find good Chinese food"

"I can't find good barbeque."

"It's difficult to find good pizza."

That's funny.

[Mod cut: personal attack!]

No, but it adds a bit of context.
I just moved to San Marcos a couple of months ago. I still have to travel to San Antonio occasionally.

Your assumptions are funny, and that's not even most of what I said. I've tried many of the most highly-regarded restaurants; I wasn't impressed. Maybe I'm just difficult to impress, but that is my opinion. I wasn't impressed with Dough, Grimaldi's, Florio's, The Barbecue Station, The Smoke Shack, Hung Fong, Formosa Garden, Hsiu Yu, etc. I did, however, find good Chinese food at one restaurant. There was another that had some good dishes, but has poor health scores and made me sick. There is one food truck that makes surprisingly good pizza, but they are hard to catch unless you're willing to drive all over the city.

I find plenty of educated people to socialize with in my doctoral program in San Marcos, so I'm happy. San Antonio's educational attainment growth between 2007 and 2012 is nice and all, but it still ranks low among the largest metros.

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2014 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
New statistics show drunken driving fatalities increase in Texas

This information is a few years old being from 2011. While I know we have been euthanizing less animals, I doubt the stray problem has gotten much better with ACS' policy of only picking up aggressive animals.

San Antonio isn't even in the top 5 for alcohol related deaths.

So yeah, any way you cut it, San Antonio isn't number one in drunk vehicle deaths in raw numbers or per capita.

Now that's how you state a claim and back it up with evidence.

Quote:
153,000 stray pets on San Antonio Streets - Animals Matter

If you think those numbers are normal for a large city...
You're wrong. [Mod cut: we are not comparing SA with other cities]

Animal Control can’t keep up with Houston’s stray dog “crisis”

[Mod cut: off topic]

What to do with Strays in Arizona

LOL at completely ignoring the brain gain that was second in the country. Smart people are moving here in droves.

This was fun.

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 AM

Oops, forgot this one.

All this really means is San Antonio does a better job of reporting, investigating and prosecuting child abuse cases than the other cities in Texas.

This has been known for a long time.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 AM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ Unsubstantiated. Reporting, investigating and prosecuting didn't changed the fact that San Antonio has had the troubling distinction of leading Texas in child abuse and neglect. Far too many children continue to suffer and die at the hands of those who should be caring for them.
Bexar County, which encompasses San Antonio, had the highest rate of reported child abuse cases in Texas, even higher than Harris County, which has nearly three times as many children as Bexar County.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
How does child abuse affect someone moving here?

IT DOES NOT!

Geez people why not provide relevant information?

For instance the stray animal thing is a problem but that does not affect everyone. Where I live we have two stray cats and they have been adopted as community cats. (fixed, vaccinated, and then released again) I really could care less if we have 100K strays running around because that does not affect my quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio