Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,013 times

Advertisements

So I have been research schools here in San Antonio to be a Dental Assistant. There is Concorde with a 8 month program. The review online are review that are for all over the USA not just SA and not good. Then there are several 12 to 15 week programs. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these programs? Here is a link and if you go to the bottom it shows alot of the san antonio schools.

Http://best-dentalassistantschools.com/san-antonio/

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
Alamo Colleges : San Antonio College : Academics : Programs : Dental Assisting

Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
I would say stay away from "for profit" schools. As Merovee posted the ACCD has a program, and you can be assured it will conform to standards. As their website states, it is one of 7 in Texas that are accredited by the ADA.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Many years ago before she got married, my sister was a dental assistant. She graduated from the ACCD program and she said it was a great program back then and I am sure it still is. If I am not mistaken, it is one of the few colleges where you can transfer credits towards dental hygienist school at UTHSC if you wanted to do so.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM

126 posts, read 249,685 times
The expensive private schools are honestly sucker deals. Its a bunch of money and they honestly only teach you how to pass the couple of different little exams there are. They teach nothing that really trains anyone how to be a dental assistant. The ACCD program probably does a much better job of that...but honestly, a better approach is OJT. Find someone looking for a dental assistant who also has a really good dental assistant that will train you. Then just study for and take the radiography and infection control tests on your own. Much better than dropping 10 grand for a crappy education like the private schools.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM

117 posts, read 200,026 times
I think most dental offices would train you and perhaps pay for your exams to have you get the radiograph certification. I would start looking for a job immediately and tell them you don't have experience yet. You may find an office willing to train you. I know it doesn't answer your question about schools, but that's an alternate route to go about dental assisting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio